Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126795 times)

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14565 on: August 23, 2011, 06:25:40 pm »

I recommend lead bins.

Good call. I got galena and nothing to do with it.

He's trying to get you to have Fun.  Weight matters for hauling tasks.  Copper is marginally better if you have it.  Lead's only good if it's your only cheap metal.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14566 on: August 23, 2011, 06:29:42 pm »

I think my dwarves participated in some sort of grand theft cloth.  As soon as the first Dwarven trade group arrived a bunch of my dwarves ran up to the caravan and hauled massive amounts of cloth to my hospital chests, will this make the dwarf civilization angry?  Is this a bug?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14567 on: August 23, 2011, 06:40:20 pm »

I've had a military set up on a year round training schedule and I'm just starting to give them some down time, but is there a way to set that up automatically in the schedule?  Edit order doesn't seem to give me the option, except by dropping the minimum down to one (won't go to zero).  Or do I have to switch alerts to inactive manually each time?

Also, what's a good mix of down time to optimize training but avoid unhappy thoughts?  (For dorfs with military and civilian skills.)  I'd been assuming more Training was better, so was thinking of a two months on, one month off schedule, but am I underestimating the individual drills they do in down time?

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14568 on: August 23, 2011, 06:53:19 pm »

I think my dwarves participated in some sort of grand theft cloth.  As soon as the first Dwarven trade group arrived a bunch of my dwarves ran up to the caravan and hauled massive amounts of cloth to my hospital chests, will this make the dwarf civilization angry?  Is this a bug?

Flash mob!

Dwarfs don't siege you even when they lose a caravan so you should be okay.  You might consider offering a generous trade if you want a good sized caravan next year.  They do seem to track profit and loss when deciding how many merchants to send next year.

It sounds like a bug though.  Was anything else weird going on, casualties on the way in, depot deconstructed, or were you doing anything with designations at the time and place?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14569 on: August 23, 2011, 06:58:31 pm »

This happens if your hospital needs more cloth.  Dwarves will fill the hospital cloth supplies with cloth from any source, even cloth you don't own.  So it's not unusual to see them rob caravans of cloth if you happen to set up your hospital just before a caravan arrives.

The caravan will count the stolen cloth as a trading loss, and bring less goods next year, unless you give them a profit that makes up for the lost cloth.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

gahyoujerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14570 on: August 23, 2011, 08:53:55 pm »

why do i get messages from time to time that say something like,  Farmer cancels store item in stockpile.  Item misplaced?

How does this happen! They misplace an item.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14571 on: August 23, 2011, 09:13:34 pm »

why do i get messages from time to time that say something like,  Farmer cancels store item in stockpile.  Item misplaced?

The item is not on the tile they thought it would be when the job started. Probably because it was moved already.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14572 on: August 23, 2011, 09:35:42 pm »

The item is not on the tile they thought it would be when the job started. Probably because it was moved already.
This can also occur if the bin or barrel that they were planning to place said item into is picked up and moved, say by a dwarf taking a drink or moving something to the depot.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14573 on: August 23, 2011, 11:00:35 pm »

How do I clean mud off of engraved floors without destroying the engravings?
I tried building furniture over the tiles, but that did nothing.

(Relevant question to reclaiming an Ocean fortress...)
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14574 on: August 23, 2011, 11:18:55 pm »

I recommend lead bins.

Good call. I got galena and nothing to do with it.

He's trying to get you to have Fun.  Weight matters for hauling tasks.  Copper is marginally better if you have it.  Lead's only good if it's your only cheap metal.

Lead's actually a fine choice.  If you're bringing bins worth of goods to the depot, you don't really need very many of them, and hauling time doesn't matter that much.  Besides depots, bins get moved less frequently than just about item except for furniture, which can be made out of stone, and if you've got a ton of lead sitting around, which can't be made into anything valuable (statues are nicer uses of platinum), can't be made into anything useful (copper and silver both make useful training ores), lead's fine for bins.

Plus, heavy bins have a distinct advantage over lighter bins: they don't scatter as far when you revisit your fortress in adventurer mode.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14575 on: August 23, 2011, 11:31:13 pm »

How do I clean mud off of engraved floors without destroying the engravings?
I tried building furniture over the tiles, but that did nothing.

(Relevant question to reclaiming an Ocean fortress...)

Dwarves with the cleaning labor enabled (defaults to on, it's under Other Jobs) will clean mud (and blood and who knows what all else) when they have the free time and inclination to do so. That said, it is an extremely low priority job- I recall reading that dwarves have been observed to clean near meeting areas more frequently, and there was some limited success in using Meeting Zones to roughly direct the cleaning efforts of dwarves.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14576 on: August 23, 2011, 11:43:07 pm »

Yeah, designating the area to be cleaned as a meeting place will speed it up a lot.

Also note that dwarves will only clean underground tiles.

gahyoujerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14577 on: August 23, 2011, 11:53:18 pm »

what is the best foreign weapon available?
lately I trained one of my guys as lasher with a silver whip

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14578 on: August 24, 2011, 12:23:18 am »

best for what?  each weapon tends to do something well.

whips dont seem to care much about material properties, even copper will break through addy armor.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14579 on: August 24, 2011, 12:55:21 am »

best for what?  each weapon tends to do something well.

whips dont seem to care much about material properties, even copper will break through addy armor.

That's because they're blunt weapons, and currently quite broken. They're like bullets, although they cause bone chips and skull cave-ins instead of bleeding.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 1178