Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126850 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14535 on: August 23, 2011, 01:40:58 am »

How nutritious are wild strawberries? My current area is characterized by fairly little soil and very little water, so I need to farm food on the surface.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14536 on: August 23, 2011, 02:09:48 am »

As nutritious as any other source of food. You'll be better off with lots of smaller farms - 4x4 plots serves pretty well, as one farmer plants up one plot.

Trade with the Elves for seeds; they often bring bags of the damn things.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14537 on: August 23, 2011, 02:12:15 am »

As nutritious as any other source of food. You'll be better off with lots of smaller farms - 4x4 plots serves pretty well, as one farmer plants up one plot.

What does the part in bold mean? I have a big farm that's constantly fully operational.  I have dozens of idlers rush to plant stuff whenever season changes.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14538 on: August 23, 2011, 02:27:40 am »

How do I bury deceased human caravan guards?  (Goblins got em, not me; I like humans, they bring me leather and timber.)  I have built coffins, designated for burial use, some for and some not for citizens, idlers have the burial labor enabled, dwarfs are allowed to gather bodies and allowed to gather refuse from outside, (and in fact did bury a dorf struck down outside) and still nothing happens.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #14539 on: August 23, 2011, 02:30:25 am »

In Dwarf Therapist, how many labors can I activate before my dwarves go all screwy on me?  What type of labors need to remain off so that my dwarves can function? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14540 on: August 23, 2011, 02:32:11 am »

How do I bury deceased human caravan guards?  (Goblins got em, not me; I like humans, they bring me leather and timber.)  I have built coffins, designated for burial use, some for and some not for citizens, idlers have the burial labor enabled, dwarfs are allowed to gather bodies and allowed to gather refuse from outside, (and in fact did bury a dorf struck down outside) and still nothing happens.

Make sure they're not forbidden. And instead of burying, I would just atom smash them.

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14541 on: August 23, 2011, 02:56:24 am »

Definitely not forbidden; still nothing.

And I'm going to have plenty of Fun anyway on this fort, I'd like to minimize the smaller amounts of it.

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14542 on: August 23, 2011, 03:00:14 am »

In Dwarf Therapist, how many labors can I activate before my dwarves go all screwy on me?  What type of labors need to remain off so that my dwarves can function?

The only screwiness I know of comes from activating mining, woodcutting or hunting on military dwarfs.  Anything else should work.

For optimization you'll often want to turn off common hauling tasks on key skilled dwarfs.  But failing to do so won't break anything, it just means they'll defy your wishes and common sense to go haul wood.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14543 on: August 23, 2011, 03:02:44 am »

And I'm going to have plenty of Fun anyway on this fort, I'd like to minimize the smaller amounts of it.

The corpses won't result in fun, just atom smash them.

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14544 on: August 23, 2011, 03:10:23 am »

Ah, thanks.  I don't know how I got the other idea, except the wiki suggested coffins over slabs.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14545 on: August 23, 2011, 03:39:21 am »

Ah, thanks.  I don't know how I got the other idea, except the wiki suggested coffins over slabs.

uh, at least I *think* only Dwarfs will start haunting you and I never have seen any other creature haunt... but now that I think of it, I'm not sure...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14546 on: August 23, 2011, 05:20:07 am »

uh, at least I *think* only Dwarfs will start haunting you and I never have seen any other creature haunt... but now that I think of it, I'm not sure...

Correction: Dead dwarves AND dwarven merchants haunt if they were not buried or memorialized, the humans accepted their fate when they traded with you, in a good way. Too bad the elves do not even bring any guards...

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14547 on: August 23, 2011, 06:53:12 am »

What does the part in bold mean? I have a big farm that's constantly fully operational.  I have dozens of idlers rush to plant stuff whenever season changes.

Huh, maybe I was wrong. But after noting that most plots only ended up half-planted, I just sorta assumed that only one farmer at a time could work on a plot.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14548 on: August 23, 2011, 06:54:59 am »

Huh, maybe I was wrong. But after noting that most plots only ended up half-planted, I just sorta assumed that only one farmer at a time could work on a plot.

You may be lacking in workforce or seeds. Or have a case of "biome border syndrome" (=one half of a plot never gets planted because it's in mountain biome)

BornInATrailer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14549 on: August 23, 2011, 09:23:35 am »

Confused about training purchased caged animals

So, I have a large number of war dogs and a few war jaguars (sadly all male so far).  I've been trying to get more war kitties.  Elven caravan comes, I buy all the various tigers/cougars/etc.  They are tame.  I can pasture them.  I can take them out of the pasture and they generally wander in the dining hall.  However, they never get trained when I "train a war animal" on repeat.  I was fairly sure I had done this before hence the other war jaguars.  But now these tame cats are never trained.  While I typically am slaughtering piles of puppies in my puppy mill, I occasionally let some grow up and train them.  So I know it isn't something simple like training skill not enabled or the kennel somehow unavailable.  But I never get a big cat trained now.

What dumb thing am I doing this time?
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 1178