Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126906 times)

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14505 on: August 21, 2011, 02:38:33 pm »

Once you engrave the slab, when you go to build one, you can press "x" to expand the list of slabs, and choose the one that has writing on it.

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14506 on: August 21, 2011, 03:08:35 pm »

Is kitten rot still deadly? I've read about it's disastrous effects but am only experiencing it now. Now that animals tracking liquids everywhere is off, is it not as bad? I have some dwarves with rotten feet and nothing else, will they survive?
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: August 21, 2011, 05:12:51 pm »

How much meat/plant/seed bags/ booze, etc can I fit into a barrel/pot?

Also, if strength doesn't interfers with wrestling, what can I improve so I won't be useless in wrestling against stuff that's bigger than me?
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: August 21, 2011, 07:01:37 pm »

My fortress has a lot of stuff like <troll fur loincloths> and <troll fur socks> scattered everywhere.  I know that I need to unforbid each item.  However, even after I do so, a lot of that stuff is still lying around.  Is there any way other than magma to fix this?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: August 21, 2011, 07:45:30 pm »

Alright, there are two types of slabs? I'll try that, then, next time I get to it. DF is very frustrating. I don't quit games because of boredom anymore so much as an endless plethora of bugs and problems. As soon as one is solved, another crops up. For example, has anyone noticed militia members getting unhappy thoughts -every single time- they are activated? My entire militia is on the verge of tantruming.

They should stop having the "upset about the draft" thought once they have a decent amount of weapon skills. Similarly, they won't subsequently suffer the "upset about being relieved of duty" thought if they have civilian skills.

My fortress has a lot of stuff like <troll fur loincloths> and <troll fur socks> scattered everywhere.  I know that I need to unforbid each item.  However, even after I do so, a lot of that stuff is still lying around.  Is there any way other than magma to fix this?

There is a mass reclaim option in the 'd' menu, and you can also go to your stocks screen and unforbid categories of items at a time. My guess is that if you have (troll fur x) everywhere it is because of ambushes and sieges- short of magma, your best bet may be to sell/give away the items to the caravan.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: August 21, 2011, 08:01:37 pm »

There is a mass reclaim option in the 'd' menu, and you can also go to your stocks screen and unforbid categories of items at a time. My guess is that if you have (troll fur x) everywhere it is because of ambushes and sieges- short of magma, your best bet may be to sell/give away the items to the caravan.

Yeah.  My issue is that some of the stuff gets picked up and put in stockpiles (which is good), but some of it does not (which is not good).  This is after everything has been unforbidden.  I'll try the 'd' menu and the stocks screen and see if they help.  Thanks.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: August 21, 2011, 08:29:09 pm »

How much meat/plant/seed bags/ booze, etc can I fit into a barrel/pot?

10 units of food (or food ingredients, such as meat).

A very large number of seeds -- 100 seeds per bag, I've been told, and maybe 10 bags per barrel -- but I've never actually counted.  In any case, you really do not need a very large seed stockpile by the farms at all.

I don't think there's an actual limit on the amount of booze that can be stored in a barrel -- rather, you get 5 units of booze per plant in the stack that was distilled.  So a stack of 5 plants gives you a barrel of 25 booze.  Since I don't use fertilizer, I never have any larger stacks of plants than this.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: August 21, 2011, 09:10:36 pm »

Yeah.  My issue is that some of the stuff gets picked up and put in stockpiles (which is good), but some of it does not (which is not good).  This is after everything has been unforbidden.  I'll try the 'd' menu and the stocks screen and see if they help.  Thanks.
Your dwarves may be claiming the clothes, in which case you won't be able to move them.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: August 21, 2011, 10:00:16 pm »

Yeah, claiming is one problem. Running out of room in a trade goods stockpile is another, since after a siege those fill up REAL fast. Especially if you didn't dump all the rock from it yet. And it could just be that your dwarves are busy and have other stuff to do as well.

If the items are claimed (you can look at them individually with "k" to see if a dwarf's name pops up as owner), give the dwarf in question a bedroom of his own, and possible one or more cabinets. (I *think* they might move the stuff into the room even without a cabinet, but that's still messy...) Of course, that also waits until they have nothing better to do.

gahyoujerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: August 21, 2011, 10:36:18 pm »

what stockpile are sand bags in?  I mean the bags full of sand.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14515 on: August 21, 2011, 10:36:53 pm »

Dwarves will move their stuff into rooms without cabinets or chests if they have free time however they seem less likely to do so. I've found the best way to get dwarves to pick up their junk is to make sure that every room has both a cabinet and a chest and then if a dwarf's stuff is really in the road make sure that they have free time. Also make sure that dwarves *do* have a room, or else wise they won't really pick up anything at all.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: August 21, 2011, 10:38:07 pm »

what stockpile are sand bags in?  I mean the bags full of sand.

Sand bags show up in furniture stockpiles. (look to the bottom left and see the little 'u' to toggle them.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: August 22, 2011, 09:40:32 am »

I've found the best way to get dwarves to pick up their junk is to make sure that every room has both a cabinet and a chest

Chests in a non-noble's room do nothing, currently.  Dwarves store their personal non-clothing possessions there after the Economy starts up in 40d, but there's no Economy in 0.31.x yet.  So just stick with the cabinets for now.

I've been trying to determine how much a cabinet can hold.  I've seen some cabinets hold 12 pieces of clothing.  I've seen some hold 8 or 10, and then the dwarf refuses to put any more in it, requiring a second cabinet instead.  I never figured out how the game (dwarf?) decides whether to stop at 8, 10, or 12 pieces of clothing in a given cabinet.  It's not the quality of the cabinet -- I was able to eliminate that one right off, since superior/master cabinets don't seem to hold any more than fine.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: August 22, 2011, 10:06:11 am »

I *think* it depends on the clothing - a cloak will take up more space than socks, for example - but I'm not sure. Generally, if a cabinet looks to be getting full, I'll pop another one in the room.

agvkrioni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: August 22, 2011, 12:07:45 pm »

Squad move commands. What is the difference between moving to a place/point and centering around a place/point?
Is there a way to tell a squad to stand in a particular fighting formation? like standing in a 4--Dwarf-width row, 2 columns deep?
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1178