Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126914 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14490 on: August 20, 2011, 09:25:33 pm »

Do wild, non pet animals like penguins, walruses etc breed? I do know that Yak cows can breed on their own offscreen, so, you can have a sustainable harvesting operation of cows, but do non pet animals like walruses do?Offscreen I mean?

Similarly, what about onscreen breeding of wild animals?

I'm.... thinking of digging out a pit and dumping in some walruses in so I can get their ivory. Hell, if animals can breed while stuck on your map, I'm going to try and catch some wild elephants:D

If my understanding of the sea serpent thread is correct, I will need to mod the walruses to be [pet] before that can happen, right?

Onscreen breeding, I'm not sure about.

It a wild animal has the tag [PET] instead of [PET_EXOTIC], they will breed and there will be a sustainable population. Which is annoying, because I want a population of war wolves.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14491 on: August 21, 2011, 02:12:24 am »

Question, how does one get a decent sized siege (for story purposes  ;D ) if your main civ is dead (two migrant waves only.) in fortress mode? I heard that only the number of people in your fort affects what kind or how many siegers you get.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14492 on: August 21, 2011, 02:21:46 am »

Question, how does one get a decent sized siege (for story purposes  ;D ) if your main civ is dead (two migrant waves only.) in fortress mode? I heard that only the number of people in your fort affects what kind or how many siegers you get.

Yeah... You won't get goblin sieges without 80 dwarves and a lot of wealth. I think you can edit the number of dwarve required in the RAWs somewhere, but I'm really not sure.

I suppose you could murder the Human diplomat... Do that enough times and they'll eventually attack you.

Or just wait for your womn to give birth a few dozen times.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14493 on: August 21, 2011, 02:47:32 am »

Will building destroyers go after windmills, axles, gear assemblies, or other machine components?

This information should be added to the wiki page.

Forum search seems to say "yes," just making sure.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:54:45 am by i874236951 »

Arek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14494 on: August 21, 2011, 05:16:26 am »

Two questions:
1. I got myself a war cougar and wanted it to assign it to my sword master as a battle pet, but in selection to add is only "war beast" and that ads randomly all war animals i trained. So, is there way to assign one exact type of animal to dwarf? Without need to slaughter the other animals first?
2. I noticed a exclamation marks near pet tags in raws like ![PET]! is that caused by the LNP that overrides the original [PET_EXOTIC] tag?

Fahgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14495 on: August 21, 2011, 05:36:07 am »

Yeah... You won't get goblin sieges without 80 dwarves and a lot of wealth. I think you can edit the number of dwarve required in the RAWs somewhere, but I'm really not sure.

I suppose you could murder the Human diplomat... Do that enough times and they'll eventually attack you.

Or just wait for your womn to give birth a few dozen times.
A follow on question from that: what determins whether goblin sieges will be mounted? I've run several forts and never had the goblins arrive on mounts. However my latest fort started of with a couple of mounted sieges and has since dropped back to foot soldiers only (though this fort does seem to be a bit siege happy. almost one every other season). only other time I've had mounted siege was the humans (diplomat got killed) and that was only the leader.

pushingdwarves

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14496 on: August 21, 2011, 05:51:09 am »

Is there a way to keep ballista ammo close to your siege battery without also having to store the rest of your furniture in the same place?

EDIT:

Oh, and is there a wiki on how traffic works somewhere? There's http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Traffic but that's just about designations. I'm wondering if dwarves move faster if the corridors are wider? And if yes, how much? Are there speed penalties for moving over / around each other?

EDIT2:

Nevermind about the first question. Didn't realize you could disable single item types in stockpiles.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:29:52 am by pushingdwarves »

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14497 on: August 21, 2011, 06:32:09 am »

Onscreen breeding, I'm not sure about.

Wild "pet trainable" animals do breed onscreen. I had a wild yacks herd trapped under a retracting-bridge trap for a few seasons, and they had 2 babies during that time.
(They went somewhat cranky, too. When I activated the access hatch to finish a few gobbos trapped with them, I released the cows in my citadel. The resulting berserk stampede killed more dwarves than the last 2 sieges...  :o

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14498 on: August 21, 2011, 08:03:11 am »

Oh, and is there a wiki on how traffic works somewhere? There's http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Traffic but that's just about designations. I'm wondering if dwarves move faster if the corridors are wider? And if yes, how much? Are there speed penalties for moving over / around each other?

Yes, they will move faster. Essentially, wider corridors make pathing easier; if there's multiple dwarves in the way, wider paths make it easier to path around.

There is a speed penalty for crossing the same square as another dwarf, but I'm not sure what it is. I do know that one-tile-wide corridors will make a massive bottleneck that will slow everythnig down a heap, though.

What determins whether goblin sieges will be mounted? I've run several forts and never had the goblins arrive on mounts. However my latest fort started of with a couple of mounted sieges and has since dropped back to foot soldiers only (though this fort does seem to be a bit siege happy. almost one every other season). only other time I've had mounted siege was the humans (diplomat got killed) and that was only the leader.

It depends on World Gen occurrences. If the unit that trains their mounts is still alive, and if their civilisation has access to mounts, then there's a good chance that they'll arrive mounted. It doesn't always happen even if a siege can be mounted - it just seems to be up to the RN God whether or not mounts will come along.
Check out my RtD!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14499 on: August 21, 2011, 09:04:13 am »

[There is a speed penalty for crossing the same square as another dwarf, but I'm not sure what it is. I do know that one-tile-wide corridors will make a massive bottleneck that will slow everythnig down a heap, though.

Yes.  When two dwarves cross paths like this, one of them stops for a bit, waits for the other to get past, and then resumes travel.  I don't know how the game chooses which dwarf stops, or for how long.

Dwarves will also go to great lengths to avoid this crossing.  They'll assign themselves a path that doesn't have any other dwarves on it, and start following that path (not taking into account where the dwarves will be by the time they reach that spot -- just where they are now).  If they run into traffic along that path, they'll calculate another path with no dwarves on it, etc.  This can lead to a strange dance where dwarves keep bouncing around and taking huge detours.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14500 on: August 21, 2011, 09:09:01 am »

What determins whether goblin sieges will be mounted? I've run several forts and never had the goblins arrive on mounts. However my latest fort started of with a couple of mounted sieges and has since dropped back to foot soldiers only (though this fort does seem to be a bit siege happy. almost one every other season). only other time I've had mounted siege was the humans (diplomat got killed) and that was only the leader.

It depends on World Gen occurrences. If the unit that trains their mounts is still alive, and if their civilisation has access to mounts, then there's a good chance that they'll arrive mounted. It doesn't always happen even if a siege can be mounted - it just seems to be up to the RN God whether or not mounts will come along.

Killing a goblin noble (war leader or something like that) will cause mounted sieges to no longer come.

EDIT: Seriously, Urist, what the ¤%!@ is wrong with you? Usually my dwarves respect the alarm burrow but this time when the enemies are actually quite dangerous NO THEY WON'T.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:42:46 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14501 on: August 21, 2011, 09:53:57 am »

How much meat/plant/seed bags/ booze, etc can I fit into a barrel/pot?

Also, if strength doesn't interfers with wrestling, what can I improve so I won't be useless in wrestling against stuff that's bigger than me?
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14502 on: August 21, 2011, 02:12:40 pm »

I need to make a memorial slab, but all I can do is place slabs and turn them into statue gardens! What do I do?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14503 on: August 21, 2011, 02:16:58 pm »

I need to make a memorial slab, but all I can do is place slabs and turn them into statue gardens! What do I do?
1. Make a [ALT+s]lab at a mason's shop.
2. Engrave the [ALT+s]lab at a craftshop.
3. [ b ]uild the [ALT+s]lab.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14504 on: August 21, 2011, 02:36:23 pm »

Alright, there are two types of slabs? I'll try that, then, next time I get to it. DF is very frustrating. I don't quit games because of boredom anymore so much as an endless plethora of bugs and problems. As soon as one is solved, another crops up. For example, has anyone noticed militia members getting unhappy thoughts -every single time- they are activated? My entire militia is on the verge of tantruming.
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1178