Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126976 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14445 on: August 18, 2011, 11:04:39 pm »

Bookkeeper, manager, and engraver spring to mind.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14446 on: August 19, 2011, 01:27:50 am »

I've never used wooden bolts but I can say from experience that bone bolts are very much worth the production effort. They mostly chip bones, but you only need to have one chipped bone to have a goblin scream for his mum before passing out in a puddle of his own vomit, and assuming you have decent marksdwarves a headshot from there's not much of a far fetch.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14447 on: August 19, 2011, 01:53:23 am »

I've never used wooden bolts but I can say from experience that bone bolts are very much worth the production effort. They mostly chip bones, but you only need to have one chipped bone to have a goblin scream for his mum before passing out in a puddle of his own vomit, and assuming you have decent marksdwarves a headshot from there's not much of a far fetch.

They do have plenty of broken bones already... I don't think DF handles internal bleeding too well so it's unlikely they'll just die now. I need to cause them to bleed...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14448 on: August 19, 2011, 06:19:12 am »

Help! How do I assign a cabinet to an individual noble? For some reason, even when I put it into his room and set the room it's still not him, and while [q] on the cabinet itself offers an [a]ssign option, it disregards whoever I pick from a loong list of dorf names and and still only lists organizations when I'm [q]ing it to see WTH it did not satisfy the noble's demand.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14449 on: August 19, 2011, 06:25:30 am »

Make sure the room covers the whole space? Use the resize option, or delete and re-create the room?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14450 on: August 19, 2011, 07:42:51 am »

You don't need to specifically assign cabinets (or chests, armor stands, and weapon racks) to nobles.  Just build them in a room that's assigned to the noble and it should count towards that noble's required furniture.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14451 on: August 19, 2011, 08:13:06 am »

How do you sell food?  I see this mentioned, but I haven't figured out what to move to the trade depot to be able to trade food.  Is there a way to see which barrels have food on them before you move then?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14452 on: August 19, 2011, 08:17:49 am »

How do you sell food?  I see this mentioned, but I haven't figured out what to move to the trade depot to be able to trade food.  Is there a way to see which barrels have food on them before you move then?

It should be in the barrel name - "Prepared food barrels" contain food, and I think you can examine the barrel ('v', I think?) to see the precise foods inside.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Deamonpies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14453 on: August 19, 2011, 09:02:34 am »

Is it possible that the reason i'm getting spammed by cannot access item: item inaccessible is that my staircase is only 1 wide and I have lots of dwarves trying to path up and down it?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14454 on: August 19, 2011, 10:16:46 am »

Sufficiently large stacks of prepared meals will not be stored in barrels.  Barrels only hold 10 units of food, so a stack of 37 roasts will be stored without any container.

So, if you're searching the depot's list by name, you can search on "roast" to get the big ones, and "prepared" to get the barrels full of little ones.

You can also sort the depot's list by value instead of by distance; this puts all your valuable stuff (bins full of finished goods, roasts, barrels full of roasts, platinum statues, ...) at the top of the list.  I think you press (d) for that.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14455 on: August 19, 2011, 12:38:05 pm »

What is the difference between inactive and suspended?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14456 on: August 19, 2011, 12:44:18 pm »

What is the difference between inactive and suspended?

Inactive means your dwarves aren't doing it because they're either doing other things, can't path to it, or just haven't picked up the job yet. Suspended means they won't do the job until you unsuspend it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14457 on: August 19, 2011, 01:00:43 pm »

Reading the "Cave Challenge" thread...

I see a lot of posts about people bringing things on embark (logs, stone, metals). How do you do that? My embark just has animals and in the unfortunate event I accidentally delete all my axes I can't get them back. What obvious thing am I missing?

Do corpses rot in the garbage dump or only in refuse piles or does it not matter?

How do you find a surface cave to start in?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14458 on: August 19, 2011, 01:27:19 pm »

You press [n] on the embark screen to add new items to your embark supplies.

They rot anywhere, but they'll only produce miasma underground.

There's an option in world gen parameters to show caves.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14459 on: August 19, 2011, 01:33:23 pm »

I will never cease to be amazed by how often I can miss instructions on a screen with only 6 instructions. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1178