Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 960 961 [962] 963 964 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126998 times)

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14415 on: August 17, 2011, 12:11:06 pm »

What's the best way to prevent my dwarves from becoming unhappy due to "patrol duty"? Scheduling a month of no orders every three months doesn't seem to have any effect, and I'm not sure manually setting their squad to the Inactive alert is doing much either.

Do I have to disband the squad and reassemble it later, or what?

From my observations, "upset by long patrol duty" tends to kick in when they've been serving for more than a month at a time. You can get around it by giving them every other month off, or just making sure they are happy enough to offset it- mist machines in the barracks work well.

That said, 1/3 months off should prevent the "upset by" from turning to "enraged by"- the first is a minor happiness penalty, the second can be more serious.

I'm not sure about this, I think it might be bugged, I had 2 squads with 10 dwarves each, their schedule was set so there should be a minimum of only 6 dwarves in training and also they would be training only once every 2 months, so it was training a month, on break the next one and so on and even then they would get unhappy because of "being enraged by long patrol duty".

Machiavelli

• Bay Watcher
  • 強い白い
    • View Profile
« Reply #14416 on: August 17, 2011, 01:03:10 pm »

Why can't I make soap, when I have tallow, buckets, a soap maker and soap maker shop? The option to make soap out of tallow is red. I have 2 tallow tho.

I am having the same problem.  The Ashery works fine, but when [a]dding a job at the Soap Maker's Workshop, the 'Make oap' command is red.  Selecting it takes me to a separate screen displaying the reaction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That screen is all I can get by selecting the job.  It's never added to the queue by using the building or the Manager.
NKAWTG

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14417 on: August 17, 2011, 01:24:16 pm »

Why can't I make soap, when I have tallow, buckets, a soap maker and soap maker shop? The option to make soap out of tallow is red. I have 2 tallow tho.

I am having the same problem.  The Ashery works fine, but when [a]dding a job at the Soap Maker's Workshop, the 'Make oap' command is red.  Selecting it takes me to a separate screen displaying the reaction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That screen is all I can get by selecting the job.  It's never added to the queue by using the building or the Manager.

You also need lye to make soap. Make ash at the ashery, and then turn the ash into lye (same workshop, requires a bucket.) 1 bucket o' lye + 1 tallow = 1 soap.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14418 on: August 17, 2011, 02:31:11 pm »

What does the red "c" in the upper-left corner of the screen signify?
A red C in the corner means new combat (r)eports, a blue S means new sparring reports, and a green H means new hunting reports.

Thanks!

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14419 on: August 17, 2011, 05:44:20 pm »

Once you have used wood/charcoal to kick-start the coke-making, can you then use coke to make more coke?  Why can't I use coal as a basic fuel to make coke?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14420 on: August 17, 2011, 05:50:05 pm »

Once you have used wood/charcoal to kick-start the coke-making, can you then use coke to make more coke?  Why can't I use coal as a basic fuel to make coke?
you can. 
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

gahyoujerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14421 on: August 17, 2011, 06:13:58 pm »

a dwarf of mine fell into a cage trap during a goblin fight.  how can i release him?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14422 on: August 17, 2011, 06:18:30 pm »

Build the cage, link it to a lever, pull the lever.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14423 on: August 17, 2011, 06:19:36 pm »

a dwarf of mine fell into a cage trap during a goblin fight.  how can i release him?

You might be able to do this by creating a pasture zone and assigning him to the pasture.  If not that, then build the cage he's in, then unassign him from the cage.  Or build any cage or rope and assign him to it, then unassign him from it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14424 on: August 17, 2011, 07:31:06 pm »

You might be able to do this by creating a pasture zone and assigning him to the pasture.  If not that, then build the cage he's in, then unassign him from the cage.  Or build any cage or rope and assign him to it, then unassign him from it.

Unsure about the pasture idea (my guess is won't let you assign), but .25 wouldn't let me assign caged dwarves to cages or restraints, nor even to unassign a caged dwarf from a built cage.  Cage and lever is the only way I could figure out how to get it done when my silk farm/trap room claimed dwarven victims.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14425 on: August 17, 2011, 10:45:34 pm »

you can.
Hmmm. For some reason when I selected a smelter I could not locate an option to form coke from lignite (meaning it was there but not accessible) until I made some charcoal.  I had plenty of coal around, but it didn't seem to work.  How do you start the coking process with lignite alone?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14426 on: August 17, 2011, 10:50:16 pm »

you can.
Hmmm. For some reason when I selected a smelter I could not locate an option to form coke from lignite (meaning it was there but not accessible) until I made some charcoal.  I had plenty of coal around, but it didn't seem to work.  How do you start the coking process with lignite alone?

You can't. :P

There are two separate things here- the first is fuel. Fuel is either coke, charcoal, or magma, and is used to fuel reactions. Coal/Lignite are basically ores of coke- you need one charcoal/coke to start the process, after which you will have a net increase in coke and it will be self sustaining. If I recall correctly, 1 Fuel + 1 Lignite = 2 Coke; a net increase of 1 fuel. Bituminous Coal + Fuel = 3 Coke; a net increase of 2 fuel.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14427 on: August 18, 2011, 12:34:28 am »

I seem to recall a way of putting a line into your init or d_init, which would make it so cave-ins would no longer pause your game.  Does anyone know or remember what it is?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14428 on: August 18, 2011, 12:45:13 am »

I seem to recall a way of putting a line into your init or d_init, which would make it so cave-ins would no longer pause your game.  Does anyone know or remember what it is?

It's in announcements.txt- I haven't mucked with it myself, so I don't know exactly what it looks like, but I imagine it is fairly self explanatory. That wiki link should tell you what you need to change.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14429 on: August 18, 2011, 01:11:33 am »

Hiya...

Turns out my execution tower of 8z wasn't tall enough - out of the ten goblins dropped, only three or so died, and a few are even walking. I'd need to finish these guys.

Problems exist, though - I have no magma (and cleaning that up would be tedious anyway), too little water to pour that in (and cleaning, again), I most definitely WON'T do this with a cave-in and I won't risk putting a squad in there (I have zero trained military dwarves).

So I think I'll do this with my Fortress Guard Marksdwarves. The problem is that I don't have enough metals to expend it to bolts (even if the dwarves shoot economically and let the bleeding do the trick, I'll need lots of bolts) so I'd have to make wooden or bone bolts instead. But then again, I didn't bother to strip the goblins, so they're clothed and may have some actual armor as well - are wooden bolts a lost cause?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04
Pages: 1 ... 960 961 [962] 963 964 ... 1178