Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 959 960 [961] 962 963 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126978 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14400 on: August 17, 2011, 12:06:49 am »

I have a little question - I've seen lots of folks talk about equipping a specific dwarf with a specific weapon - how do you do that? For instance, I just got a bunch of iron weapons from the goblins I sacrificed my military to, and I want the newbs to use iron instead of the copper I started with. How to?

Pretty simple, but time-consuming. When you put them in a military squad, you can (from the military screen) choose to set uniforms and equip your dwarves.

You have the option to either set a uniform for an entire squad, or you can set each dwarf individually - and one of the options is 'use specific armor/weapon'.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14401 on: August 17, 2011, 02:33:26 am »

Small question that I think may not even belong here.

How does one get a snapshot then crop it to match the size of the DF window and post it on the forums? I've seen beautifully made pictures out there and have no idea whatsoever on how they got it that way.

Press the Print Screen-button on your keyboard, open Paint or other image manipulation program, paste it, crop it as you like, upload the result to an image service and attach it to the forum.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:22:52 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14402 on: August 17, 2011, 04:12:56 am »

^ Expertise/Experience always decreases time to do the job, for animal training it does help a LOT. Maybe your trainer gets tired quick? Since he/she is low level, why not shift him/her out for a better dwarf?
That's what I was thinking but I'm not sure I have better trainers. Oh well, worth looking into.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

thor82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14403 on: August 17, 2011, 04:42:38 am »

Depends on the embark.
Did the embark screen say Shallow Metal(s) or Deep Metal(s)? If not, you have no metel.

i'm quite sure it said one of those ,but atm i can't remember which one :/

i'm at -20 now, and at now, no ores of any kind. :( can i fight with rock swords? :D

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14404 on: August 17, 2011, 05:49:20 am »

Yes you can, but only obsidian can be used for rock weaponry. :(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14405 on: August 17, 2011, 05:57:59 am »

What files would I have to go about tampering with in order to add elven liaisons back into my game? I want to have an actual fight with these hippies instead of an outright slaughter.
you should edit /data/save/[regionname]/raw/objects/entity_default.raw

Small question that I think may not even belong here.

How does one get a snapshot then crop it to match the size of the DF window and post it on the forums? I've seen beautifully made pictures out there and have no idea whatsoever on how they got it that way.

Press the Print Screen-button on your keyboard, open Paint or other image manipulation program, paste it, crop it as you like, upload the result to an image service and attach it to the forum.
Later windows versions and gnome shell for linux have utilities to take shots of certain windows or arbitrary chosen areas of the desktop. Win7 one is called "snipping tool". You might try looking up if similar utilities exist for your system.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:59:31 am by nanomage »

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14406 on: August 17, 2011, 06:34:50 am »

I generated a new world and I can select a number of unusual critters to take along. I am curious though, as to why it shows Saltwater Crocodiles being cheaper than Cave Crocodiles? According to the wiki, Saltwater Crocs are a good bit bigger(800k vs 600k) and one would think more deadly in a fight. Is that not the case?

EDIT: I tested in the arena and indeed Saltwater Crocs destroyed Cave Crocs one on one 6 times out of 6.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:14:00 am by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14407 on: August 17, 2011, 06:52:49 am »

Maybe it's easier for your starting civ to catch salties than it is to catch cavecrocs.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14408 on: August 17, 2011, 06:53:49 am »

Maybe it's easier for your starting civ to catch salties than it is to catch cavecrocs.
that's irrelevant until the next version, prices are fixed and based on [PETVALUE] tag

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14409 on: August 17, 2011, 08:10:39 am »

I have a little question - I've seen lots of folks talk about equipping a specific dwarf with a specific weapon - how do you do that? For instance, I just got a bunch of iron weapons from the goblins I sacrificed my military to, and I want the newbs to use iron instead of the copper I started with. How to?

Pretty simple, but time-consuming. When you put them in a military squad, you can (from the military screen) choose to set uniforms and equip your dwarves.

You have the option to either set a uniform for an entire squad, or you can set each dwarf individually - and one of the options is 'use specific armor/weapon'.

Argh! Thanks! I had been close to that, but I have no idea how I missed it. This is great - now they're actually using the iron helms, etc.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14410 on: August 17, 2011, 11:26:30 am »

What files would I have to go about tampering with in order to add elven liaisons back into my game? I want to have an actual fight with these hippies instead of an outright slaughter.
you should edit /data/save/[regionname]/raw/objects/entity_default.raw
Many thanks. To add him, I would simply copy the diplomat entry from the dwarves' raws, correct? Or should I copy the humans'?

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14411 on: August 17, 2011, 11:36:33 am »

What's the best way to prevent my dwarves from becoming unhappy due to "patrol duty"? Scheduling a month of no orders every three months doesn't seem to have any effect, and I'm not sure manually setting their squad to the Inactive alert is doing much either.

Do I have to disband the squad and reassemble it later, or what?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14412 on: August 17, 2011, 11:39:57 am »

What's the best way to prevent my dwarves from becoming unhappy due to "patrol duty"? Scheduling a month of no orders every three months doesn't seem to have any effect, and I'm not sure manually setting their squad to the Inactive alert is doing much either.

Do I have to disband the squad and reassemble it later, or what?

From my observations, "upset by long patrol duty" tends to kick in when they've been serving for more than a month at a time. You can get around it by giving them every other month off, or just making sure they are happy enough to offset it- mist machines in the barracks work well.

That said, 1/3 months off should prevent the "upset by" from turning to "enraged by"- the first is a minor happiness penalty, the second can be more serious.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:41:36 am by monk12 »

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14413 on: August 17, 2011, 11:42:21 am »

Can building destroyers crush fortifications?

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14414 on: August 17, 2011, 11:45:13 am »

Can building destroyers crush fortifications?
Since they are a construction as opposed to a building, no, they cannot. Building destroyers can only destroy furniture, such as doors, tables, statues or supports. Things like walls, floors and ramps can only be destroyed by your dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 959 960 [961] 962 963 ... 1178