Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127089 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14355 on: August 14, 2011, 01:57:38 pm »

If dwarves suspend a construction on their own, is there any way to get it started again?
(q)uerry it and toggle (s)uspension
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14356 on: August 14, 2011, 01:58:37 pm »

Is there any easy way to tell how many years my fortress has been around? I was not wise enough to note the starting year.

If you haven't mucked with your settings much, the default start year is 1051.
for me, on medium history on default worldgen its 250.  or short history.... i forget =\

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14357 on: August 14, 2011, 01:59:58 pm »

If dwarves suspend a construction on their own, is there any way to get it started again?

q, select building, s.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14358 on: August 14, 2011, 02:01:00 pm »

Is there any easy way to tell how many years my fortress has been around? I was not wise enough to note the starting year.
also, do a bunch of engraving and/or decoration...  dwarves love to depict the founding of the fortress.  it's the most common artwork across all of my own fortresses.  usually it'll be an image of dwarves traveling or laboring.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14359 on: August 14, 2011, 02:20:31 pm »

I have an artifact red pyrope flask, and i want to equip it to a specific soldier. Is the only way of doing this by forbidding all other free flasks?
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #14360 on: August 14, 2011, 04:17:21 pm »

I've got a serpent with noxious secretions in my caverns. What's that do, exactly? Will stabbing it get my speardwarves' weapons covered in deadly blood?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14361 on: August 14, 2011, 04:27:08 pm »

I've got a serpent with noxious secretions in my caverns. What's that do, exactly? Will stabbing it get my speardwarves' weapons covered in deadly blood?

It means it leaves a slime trail wherever it goes.  Your weapons won't get covered, but your boots might.  You'd do well to deal with it as soon as possible.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14362 on: August 14, 2011, 04:28:33 pm »

Secretions are separate from blood, I think they just appear on the skin.
So you might get some on the weapons, but as long as it stays off your dwarves skin you should be fine.

NINJA'd

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14363 on: August 14, 2011, 05:18:24 pm »

Why are the goblins not pathing to my fortress? The gate is open. All they have to do is go inside and step on a trap. Are they avoiding the traps or something?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14364 on: August 14, 2011, 05:22:07 pm »

Why are the goblins not pathing to my fortress? The gate is open. All they have to do is go inside and step on a trap. Are they avoiding the traps or something?

a) Because they are pathing to something else?  Like a nearby hostile?

b) Because you have doubled gates, and despite your main gate being open, there is no valid path from goblin to dwarf?

c) Because they are on flying mounts and freaking out about pathing?

d) Because their leader is caged and they only ever follow him?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14365 on: August 14, 2011, 05:23:01 pm »

Ambush groups and siege squads tend to follow their leader.  If the leader of a group is trapped or dead, the rest of the group will stand around him and not proceed.  Check if they're standing around a corpse (including checking nearby murky ponds if the leader was riding a cave crocodile who decided to go for a swim instead).
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #14366 on: August 14, 2011, 05:53:51 pm »

Intelligent hostiles tend to do this anymore, not just charging onto your waiting traps, but loitering outside.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14367 on: August 14, 2011, 06:40:24 pm »

Intelligent hostiles tend to do this anymore, not just charging onto your waiting traps, but loitering outside.

I disagree. The second i get a siege said siegers head straight for the valley of death without even pausing to think. Except for that one time when a whole goblin siege of 3 squads chased a puppy round the map for a good season atleast
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14368 on: August 14, 2011, 09:15:03 pm »

for me, on medium history on default worldgen its 250.  or short history.... i forget =\

The default history length on the default settings is 250 years.  I don't know what label that has.

The default history length in the "advanced" settings is 1050 years, which is also the former default in the default settings.  It is my opinion that Toady simply neglected to change this one, when he changed the other one to 250 years.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14369 on: August 14, 2011, 09:36:03 pm »

The default history length on the default settings is 250 years.  I don't know what label that has.

The default history length in the "advanced" settings is 1050 years, which is also the former default in the default settings.  It is my opinion that Toady simply neglected to change this one, when he changed the other one to 250 years.

1050 isn't so much the "default length" as it is the "cut-off length." Worldgen is supposed to stop after a certain number of megabeasts are dead, in the Age of Heroes- in 40d this regularly happened about the 250 year mark, give or take half a century depending on the vagaries of your world. With the material rewrite (along with the other host of changes in 2010,) however, megabeasts stopped dying in any appreciable number during world generation, so the world would run to the hard stop date- 1050.

Presumably, this isn't enough of an issue for Toady to devote much time to fixing yet, but when he did the more detailed "simple" Create-a-World interface he made the default 250, the way it was in 40d. Long enough for some interesting things to happen without being so long that races start going extinct.

In short, the default advanced parameters are a holdover from previous versions (since you're already going to muck with them, why change the default?) while the regular Create New World interface is a recent addition (about the time he added the ability to adjust mineral scarcity.)
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1178