Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127214 times)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14340 on: August 13, 2011, 07:11:56 pm »

How much water and lava need to interact to form an obsidian wall? As in 1/7ths.
1/7 and 1/7.
If you're using buckets to drop water down, make sure it falls more than 1 z-level.

Danke viele.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14341 on: August 13, 2011, 10:34:04 pm »

If I build menacing spike traps below a one-tile drop, will enemies falling on those spikes be impaled even if the trap isn't repeating?
Yes.
Yes, sorta.  It needs to be a two tile or more drop.  A single tile drop doesn't cause damage even with spikes.   I guess the fallers don't get enough velocity or something and just fall between the spikes instead of on them or something.

In reality though, my bet is that it doesn't check for spikes unless falling damage is applied.  And since falling damage does not get applied for a 1z drop they don't damage.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #14342 on: August 13, 2011, 10:40:29 pm »

Got an artifact steel mace studded with (big surprise) steel. How good will this one function? Seems to be shattering bones with each strike in the hands of a competent macedwarf...
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14343 on: August 13, 2011, 10:54:55 pm »

Got an artifact steel mace studded with (big surprise) steel. How good will this one function?
Pretty good. Metal blunt weapons don't vary that much in effectiveness from material to material (except bluemetal), and this is an artifact.

qazadex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14344 on: August 14, 2011, 03:09:37 am »

I can't tame a large animal. Whenever I got to the kennel, and press tame large animal, I get a a cursor. However, when I hover over a cage, it changes selection to that cage, without allowing me to tame the animal inside. What simple thing am I missing?

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14345 on: August 14, 2011, 05:14:44 am »

I can't get my marksdwarves to train consistently.  I have ammunition assigned to training in the military screen, I have archery buttes a plenty and they're properly configured (for both distance from target and shooting direction), I have them assigned to train on the buttes, their uniforms are properly assigned, they all have quivers and crossbows, and there's more ammo than I know what to do with, so I'm at a loss here. 

Also, when setting up an archery room do you have to set up each butte as an individual room (which I have currently, though there's some overlap with other 'rooms' from other buttes) or can you just set the entire room as one training zone and they'll figure out the shooting directions on their own?  Say, I make it a room off of a butte at the bottom of the screen and thus have them shooting bottom to top.  If there's a butte against the opposite wall, will they know to shoot at another angle since they can't shoot top to down?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14346 on: August 14, 2011, 08:40:21 am »

i am actually using Gold Plate tileset, and i see strange stuff from time to time, for example: i engraved a room, and here are the results:

http://twitpic.com/65jhly

is this an error i did, or i should change tileset? if yes, which one do you suggest me to use?

Well, that's pretty much how engravings work in "ASCII" too.  This is why I don't engrave walls -- I like to be able to see where the walls are.  I only engrave the floors, and if I want stuff to be pretty, then I only engrave the floors that are under furniture.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14347 on: August 14, 2011, 08:51:55 am »

Shiv's Questions

To your first question: Change the number of dwarves required to train. The default is ten; this makes it so that the class will wait for all ten dwarves to be present before a training session starts. Setting it to six or seven (or lower ifthe squad is not at full strength) will make the classes happen more frequently.

You do this from the schedule screen; press {e} to edit an order and then press {-} or {+} to change the number of dwarves necessary. Then hit {SHIFT} + {ENTER} to set the order.

Then copy and paste the order across all of their training sessions.

To your second question: To the best of my knowledge, it's like other rooms; one room that contains all of the archery targets should suffice.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14348 on: August 14, 2011, 08:56:23 am »

i am actually using Gold Plate tileset, and i see strange stuff from time to time, for example: i engraved a room, and here are the results:

http://twitpic.com/65jhly

is this an error i did, or i should change tileset? if yes, which one do you suggest me to use?

Well, that's pretty much how engravings work in "ASCII" too.  This is why I don't engrave walls -- I like to be able to see where the walls are.  I only engrave the floors, and if I want stuff to be pretty, then I only engrave the floors that are under furniture.
There's a toggle engravings designation.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14349 on: August 14, 2011, 10:12:55 am »

And you can change an init option to always hide engravings (until toggled). It won't work retroactively for a fortress, though, at least I think so. You'd have to toggle all the already existing engravings by hand, but all new ones will be hidden
Love, scriver~

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14350 on: August 14, 2011, 10:21:59 am »

I can't tame a large animal. Whenever I got to the kennel, and press tame large animal, I get a a cursor. However, when I hover over a cage, it changes selection to that cage, without allowing me to tame the animal inside. What simple thing am I missing?

When you tame a large animal, you don't do it with a cursor, you do it from a list in the kennel screen. If there are no animals popping up for it, there are no wild animals that can be tamed.

So either the ones you want to tame are already tame, they're not tamable in the first place (exotics without editing out the exotic tag in the .raws), or you're trying to tame something like a rat or other vermin, which is "tame small animal." Or maybe something else I'm forgetting.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14351 on: August 14, 2011, 10:46:12 am »

Is there any easy way to tell how many years my fortress has been around? I was not wise enough to note the starting year.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14352 on: August 14, 2011, 12:31:39 pm »

Is there any easy way to tell how many years my fortress has been around? I was not wise enough to note the starting year.

Copy the folder where you df game is more than likely /downloads/df_31.25 or whatever and paste the copied folder to you music folder or something. Then run the exe from the copied df, enter you fortress, abandon the fortress, then enter legends and find your fortress in the list.

Another easier way is if you have a lot of statues, more than likely one of them will be a "statue of dwarves" "v"iew its description and it will more than likely be about the foundation of your city and it will state the year.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14353 on: August 14, 2011, 01:43:12 pm »

If you haven't mucked with your settings much, the default start year is 1051.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14354 on: August 14, 2011, 01:54:43 pm »

If dwarves suspend a construction on their own, is there any way to get it started again?
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 1178