Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 954 955 [956] 957 958 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127222 times)

HawkSeraph

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14325 on: August 13, 2011, 12:24:37 pm »

Hello!
I've got a question (lol): What use is the "Catch Live land animal command" in the butcher's shop? I get animals in traps which I can then put into cages and then... then what? I can't butcher them, can I? It's mostly vermin like rats.
Related question: How can I butcher deers which were caught in my Cage traps?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14326 on: August 13, 2011, 12:40:03 pm »

Vermin can be made into pets, or traded. That's pretty much it.

To butcher caught animals, either tame and butcher them regularly, or have your military kill them.
The corpses will be dragged to a refuse stockpile, then the butchers shop.

HawkSeraph

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14327 on: August 13, 2011, 12:44:05 pm »

Alright, so I'll just sell them because I don't think my dwarves like rats as pets.
Also, transferring deers from one cage into another seems to create a big "interrupted by deer"-festival. I don't really get what's happening there...

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #14328 on: August 13, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »

If you want to do that, you should build the cage next to the other cage, and then order the deer transferred, as it is.

Transferring/pitting an animal has a dwarf take it out of the cage and attempt to lead it along like they do a domestic/tame animal, however, it is a vicious wild-eyed rabid deer of doom from the untamed wilds that immediately attempts to connect it's deadly hoof with your dwarf's face.

If the cage they take it out of is extremely close to the destination they can toss the deer/cyclops/evil monster into the pit/other cage before it tries to eat them.
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

HawkSeraph

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14329 on: August 13, 2011, 12:54:28 pm »

OMG. Yes. That is what I should have done. As it stands, the deer has broken free and killed three quarter of my (unarmed) milita. What a friggin' beast!

How should I tranfser them if the cage is on a stockpile? just build the next cage ON the stockpile?

From a normal deer to one that killed 6 Militias... RIP, Istiklolum Zariton :[
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:59:42 pm by HawkSeraph »

thor82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14330 on: August 13, 2011, 12:57:39 pm »

thank you onarum and monk12 , i found it!

i post another question, regarding the tileset.

i am actually using Gold Plate tileset, and i see strange stuff from time to time, for example: i engraved a room, and here are the results:

http://twitpic.com/65jhly

is this an error i did, or i should change tileset? if yes, which one do you suggest me to use?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14331 on: August 13, 2011, 12:59:16 pm »

OMG. Yes. That is what I should have done. As it stands, the deer has broken free and killed three quarter of my (unarmed) milita. What a friggin' beast!

How should I tranfser them if the cage is on a stockpile? just build the next cage ON the stockpile?
May I ask why you're trying to get all the deer in one cage?

HawkSeraph

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14332 on: August 13, 2011, 01:00:38 pm »

Uh.. I was transferring everything I caught into 1 cage to free the used ones up - that was before you told me what they were useful for

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #14333 on: August 13, 2011, 01:13:22 pm »

B-j for cages I think, build the cage you want to put the deer into somewhere, then build the cage the deer is in (Press x in the build menu to see what cages contain) next to it, then q over the cage you want to put the deer in and assign the deer to it from the list.

This takes a while but almost completely insures that your dwarf doesn't get his brain kicked out. (Almost)
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

HawkSeraph

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14334 on: August 13, 2011, 01:33:48 pm »

Cool, thanks for answering my questions that fast :)

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14335 on: August 13, 2011, 04:23:40 pm »

I'm having a problem with a well, it worked great for a long time, but now often I will see them walking a long way to wash themselves on a river or murky pool, then I check the damn well and it says "bucket full", the first time this happened I just removed the well and built another one, but it keeps happening again, why?

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14336 on: August 13, 2011, 05:24:29 pm »

If I build menacing spike traps below a one-tile drop, will enemies falling on those spikes be impaled even if the trap isn't repeating?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:46:39 pm by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14337 on: August 13, 2011, 06:01:23 pm »

If I build menacing spike traps below a one-tile drop, will enemies falling on those spikes be impaled even if the trap isn't repeating?
Yes.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14338 on: August 13, 2011, 06:40:37 pm »

How much water and lava need to interact to form an obsidian wall? As in 1/7ths.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14339 on: August 13, 2011, 06:57:05 pm »

How much water and lava need to interact to form an obsidian wall? As in 1/7ths.
1/7 and 1/7.
If you're using buckets to drop water down, make sure it falls more than 1 z-level.
Pages: 1 ... 954 955 [956] 957 958 ... 1178