Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127100 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14310 on: August 12, 2011, 08:54:37 pm »

Hello all, I'd like to ask the first of many, many questions!

I have a squad of dwarves all assigned to training swords and extremely lethal steel swords and such. When they fight with elves, they seem to use the training swords only! How do I get them to use the real weapons in combat? They are carrying both weapons when they go into combat.
Why do you have both? Training weapons have no benefits, other than being able to be built from wood.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14311 on: August 12, 2011, 09:02:02 pm »

I have a squad of dwarves all assigned to training swords and extremely lethal steel swords and such. When they fight with elves, they seem to use the training swords only! How do I get them to use the real weapons in combat? They are carrying both weapons when they go into combat.
Why do you have both? Training weapons have no benefits, other than being able to be built from wood.

To elaborate slightly- training injuries are practically non-existent in the most recent set of releases. You can safely assign your squads metal swords only, and they will spar with virtually zero risk of accidental injury.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14312 on: August 12, 2011, 10:39:39 pm »

When you specify  a type of armor, for example gauntlets,  for a dwarf's uniform do you have to put 2 gauntlets or just 1?

because by default it only says "handwear" but when specifying a gauntlet it says only "gauntlet" instead of "gauntlets", so do I need to insert two gauntlet entries on each dwarf so they will use gauntlets on both arms?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14313 on: August 12, 2011, 11:00:26 pm »

When you specify  a type of armor, for example gauntlets,  for a dwarf's uniform do you have to put 2 gauntlets or just 1?

because by default it only says "handwear" but when specifying a gauntlet it says only "gauntlet" instead of "gauntlets", so do I need to insert two gauntlet entries on each dwarf so they will use gauntlets on both arms?

you only need one.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14314 on: August 12, 2011, 11:13:18 pm »

but do the numbers on the stocks menu account for the pair or for the units of boots and gauntlets? like if it says 20 steel hight boots, is that 20 pairs of boots or just 20 units? this is kinda confusing ;P

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14315 on: August 12, 2011, 11:40:20 pm »

but do the numbers on the stocks menu account for the pair or for the units of boots and gauntlets? like if it says 20 steel hight boots, is that 20 pairs of boots or just 20 units? this is kinda confusing ;P

On the stocks screen, 20 steel high boots are 20 individual boots, not 20 pairs.  It is confusing.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

MalleusManus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14316 on: August 13, 2011, 05:48:23 am »

To elaborate slightly- training injuries are practically non-existent in the most recent set of releases. You can safely assign your squads metal swords only, and they will spar with virtually zero risk of accidental injury.

Aha, when last I played this game, oh, 5 years ago or whatnot, I distinctly recalled losing dwarves to training. Thanks!

But  just curious, if I assign multiple weapons to a dwarf, will he randomly select which one to use, or just the first one on the list? I am guessing the latter.

And another question: I have the most amazing pair of artifact trousers, the pinnacle of alpaca wool technology. Can I assign them to a dwarf? SHOULD I assign it to a dwarf? How do I even find it in a stockpile in the first place?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:50:28 am by MalleusManus »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14317 on: August 13, 2011, 08:54:57 am »

And another question: I have the most amazing pair of artifact trousers, the pinnacle of alpaca wool technology. Can I assign them to a dwarf? SHOULD I assign it to a dwarf? How do I even find it in a stockpile in the first place?

You can assign individual items to a dwarf (actually, to a squad position) as part of an individual uniform.  You'd do this from the (m)(e) screen, and you'd select it from a list of all the (wool?) trousers you have.  Manually.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14318 on: August 13, 2011, 09:01:05 am »

At what z-levels does magma start appearing?

thor82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14319 on: August 13, 2011, 09:18:25 am »

is there a way to count exact food amounts?
from the z- screen i see the golden numbers, followed by red one with a question mark.

also. shouldn't those number go down if i brew/cook something,for example?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14320 on: August 13, 2011, 09:19:55 am »

It depends on how deep your map is. I've seen it anywhere from -30 to -140 or so. It's usually fairly close to the bottom of the map (maybe ten to fifteen levels above).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14321 on: August 13, 2011, 09:30:27 am »

I haven't followed all of the game progress announcements of late, maybe one of you knows. Has Toady voiced any plans of making future changes that allow you to stop playing a fortress without it falling to ruins? For instance, if my fortress has become the capital, it would be nice to start a new settlement and trade with my old fortress, and later check history on how everything developed over the following decades. Or to visit it with an adventurer and talk to the dwarves I previously controlled.

The fact that you cannot play through many decades of history within one world without either leaving the same old boring fortress running after you've already accomplished everything you wanted to do, or destroying everything you've built up previously is my number one motivation stopper with DF.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14322 on: August 13, 2011, 09:51:54 am »

It depends on how deep your map is. I've seen it anywhere from -30 to -140 or so. It's usually fairly close to the bottom of the map (maybe ten to fifteen levels above).

I didn't know there was a bottom! What level is the bottom of the map?

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14323 on: August 13, 2011, 10:35:48 am »

from the z- screen i see the golden numbers, followed by red one with a question mark.

You need a record keeper, you can make a dwarf the record keeper in the nobles menu (n), also once he/she's proficient at it you can change the settings of record keeping, also in the nobles screen, to make it more accurate.

edit: actually it's called bookkeeper in the nobles menu.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:41:28 am by onarum »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14324 on: August 13, 2011, 11:07:45 am »

You need a record keeper, you can make a dwarf the record keeper in the nobles menu (n), also once he/she's proficient at it you can change the settings of record keeping, also in the nobles screen, to make it more accurate.

edit: actually it's called bookkeeper in the nobles menu.

You can change the settings right off the bat, actually- once you've assigned a dwarf to the position, hit 's' for settings, and you'll be able to set how precise you want your stocks to be. Each level of precision increases your accuracy by one significant digit, until Highest precision which is perfectly accurate. Medium precision is likely sufficient for your needs, but there isn't much reason not to go to highest.
Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 1178