Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 952 953 [954] 955 956 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127120 times)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14295 on: August 12, 2011, 12:59:30 pm »

Fortifications help protect against ranged attacks in most circumstances, though they aren't perfect.  The main time they're useless is against elite archers, who completely ignore them.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14296 on: August 12, 2011, 01:11:29 pm »

On the schedule screen for the military, is it better to have a high or low minimum?  It'd seem that if you have a high minimum, it'd never get accomplished due to not everyone being able to be present (due to sleeping, eating, whatever)

If you leave the orders at "Train, 10 Minimum" you'll have training sessions involving 3-4 dwarves.  Often multiple training sessions simultaneously.  They don't actually try to train the entire squad all together.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14297 on: August 12, 2011, 01:54:17 pm »

Oh one more thing I've always been curious about.  On the schedule screen for the military, is it better to have a high or low minimum?  It'd seem that if you have a high minimum, it'd never get accomplished due to not everyone being able to be present (due to sleeping, eating, whatever), so a low minimum (of 1 [or 0 if possible]) would be optimal, so that any dwarfs that could train would and any that were busy doing something else could do that instead, but I wonder if by 'minimum' it means that they *have* to train, even if they don't want to (can they even opt not to due to laziness?  I don't know how they're programmed).   

I wonder if by having a low minimum, I'm really stunting their growth.  They sure seem to gain weapon skills at a snails pace when I've run out of stuff to throw in the pit with them.
Making small squads (three at most) and keeping the high minimum has worked for me.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14298 on: August 12, 2011, 03:07:40 pm »

Is there any way to get a notification of elections? It's a bit disconcerting to suddenly have a new mayor.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14299 on: August 12, 2011, 03:26:27 pm »

Is there any way to get a notification of elections? It's a bit disconcerting to suddenly have a new mayor.

by defauly, you will get an announcement when a mayor has been elected.  it will read "<dwarf name> has been elected as mayor"

it's kind of up to you to remember who was mayor last and discover if it has changed.  easiest way is to check the nobles screen when you see the announcement.  unless you have a habit of assigning non-nobles to offices, the requirements of a newly elected mayor will be yellow or red.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14300 on: August 12, 2011, 03:29:06 pm »

by defauly, you will get an announcement when a mayor has been elected.  it will read "<dwarf name> has been elected as mayor"

Actually, by default, no such announcement will occur.  It may be possible to edit announcements.txt to make this announcement occur, but I don't know what the line would be if it exists at all.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14301 on: August 12, 2011, 03:35:09 pm »

Actually, by default, no such announcement will occur.  It may be possible to edit announcements.txt to make this announcement occur, but I don't know what the line would be if it exists at all.

strange, i wonder why i, with vanilla DF, have gotten many such messages in the lifetimes of my forts.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14302 on: August 12, 2011, 03:46:18 pm »

"Stƒkud ‹ngizsemor, mayor's mandate has ended."

That means that a mayor has been replaced.

Not be confused with, "ThŒkut Logemuzol, mayor has ended a mandate."

I don't believe there's an option for it in announcements.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14303 on: August 12, 2011, 04:35:46 pm »

On the schedule screen for the military, is it better to have a high or low minimum?  It'd seem that if you have a high minimum, it'd never get accomplished due to not everyone being able to be present (due to sleeping, eating, whatever)

If you leave the orders at "Train, 10 Minimum" you'll have training sessions involving 3-4 dwarves.  Often multiple training sessions simultaneously.  They don't actually try to train the entire squad all together.

Oh, well that's confusing.  Seems it should be '10 maximum' instead if that's the case.   

So basically higher numbers are better?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14304 on: August 12, 2011, 05:51:04 pm »

Well I hear tell that small squads train better, say 2-3 dwarves. They appear to spar more often, from what I can tell, and I've noticed pleasing improvement rates. My latest fort, I embarked with a crew of military skill dwarves, and have had them training in small units from the first migration wave. I also gave them the teaching skill and student skill, and they seem to be improving steadily, and are now training a new batch of soldiers.

One thing I've noticed though; it's a good idea to whet their blades on gangs of hapless animals. This seems to round out their combat scores, and improve their weapon skills. High weapon skills seem to breed higher dodging and shield skills in sparring partners. Cavern critters are also good for this. In fact if you have plenty of critters hanging around your map, you can really beef your soldiers up by *just* wandering about slaughtering them. If you do this in the caves, though, you will eventually cause tough critters to spawn, so it's a double-edged sword. Overland, you'll mostly get wuss animals, which is good.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14305 on: August 12, 2011, 05:55:20 pm »

Can I trade prepared meals? If so, where do they appear in the "carry goods to trading post" menu?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14306 on: August 12, 2011, 06:11:57 pm »

Can I trade prepared meals? If so, where do they appear in the "carry goods to trading post" menu?

Yes, you can; I don't believe they appear on the default menu.  You need to hit 's' to select by string filter, and type in something descriptive (I type in 'roast').
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14307 on: August 12, 2011, 06:32:28 pm »

You can also press something (I think it's (d) but I forgot...) to sort the stuff by value instead of by distance from the trade depot.  Your prepared meals will float right up to the top that way, since they're probably among the most valuable things you have.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14308 on: August 12, 2011, 07:10:56 pm »

Do zombie/skeletal creatures create infection in those they attack?

I'm just trying to figure out how my war dog is moving so slow with only a severed toe/dented paw from some zombie carp/skeletal fox attacks.

He also stopped flashing yellow and started flashing red.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

MalleusManus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14309 on: August 12, 2011, 08:09:53 pm »

Hello all, I'd like to ask the first of many, many questions!

I have a squad of dwarves all assigned to training swords and extremely lethal steel swords and such. When they fight with elves, they seem to use the training swords only! How do I get them to use the real weapons in combat? They are carrying both weapons when they go into combat.

Pages: 1 ... 952 953 [954] 955 956 ... 1178