Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 950 951 [952] 953 954 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127127 times)

chronoshag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14265 on: August 11, 2011, 03:24:59 pm »

Does the civilization screen only list civilizations I've had contact with, or does it list all civilizations that I can have contact with? 
The Civilization screen only lists a civilization if a member of that civilization has been on your map.  So until they've sent caravans or ambushes or thieves or whatever they won't show up.

Ahh - I was right, it's just me spazzing out.  Cool, thanks.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14266 on: August 11, 2011, 03:32:32 pm »

Can you no longer use the mouse to designate mining, etc.?  I can't seem to recall how to do it, or I am doing it wrong.  What is the trick?

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14267 on: August 11, 2011, 03:39:11 pm »

it only works on certain parts of the screen for me, dont know why.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14268 on: August 11, 2011, 06:07:38 pm »

Lately I have been getting "job item misplaced" messages - anyone know what those mean?

It means that a dwarf doing some job or another could not find the specific item that was selected for the job where they expected to find it.  It could be anything from the necessary item being moved a single tile by a flow or dropped a few tiles from channeling, a kobold taking off with it, or it getting destroyed in some way.

Sometimes you need to recreate the job manually when that happens, particularly with constructions when the raw materiel goes missing.  If it was a workshop job though they will often just try again in a few seconds after they figure out where the item went, or failing that choose another item that will do the job.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14269 on: August 11, 2011, 06:12:50 pm »

Do retracting bridges have weight limits like raised bridges do? I am trying to make a falling trap.

inner_fears

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14270 on: August 11, 2011, 06:18:52 pm »

Hi, I am trying to deal with

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:50:17 pm by inner_fears »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14271 on: August 11, 2011, 06:34:41 pm »

...because they are building destroyers or if the trap gets disassembled because the mechanism used to link it with the lever is not fire-safe.

Hey, i wrote that part!  Yay, it's useful.  Almost.  Click on the spoiler thing below-- it's considered good form on this forum to spoiler and/or use code words when referring to this stuff.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:45:45 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14272 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:10 pm »

Do retracting bridges have weight limits like raised bridges do? I am trying to make a falling trap.
Yes, but I'm pretty sure they only deconstruct if you try raising the bridge, not just from something large standing on them.

inner_fears

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14273 on: August 11, 2011, 06:51:26 pm »

...because they are building destroyers or if the trap gets disassembled because the mechanism used to link it with the lever is not fire-safe.

Hey, i wrote that part!  Yay, it's useful.  Almost.  Click on the spoiler thing below-- it's considered good form on this forum to spoiler and/or use code words when referring to this stuff.

Thanks, I'll try (also, edited previous post)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14274 on: August 11, 2011, 06:55:01 pm »

Yes, but I'm pretty sure they only deconstruct if you try raising the bridge, not just from something large standing on them.

So what's a better way of making a trap where enemies fall to their doom?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14275 on: August 11, 2011, 07:12:26 pm »

Retracting bridges are perfectly safe, unless you have something standing on the area where the retracting bridge will go.  This is a little counter-intuitive, both because it isn't relevant very often, and because sliding a floor under a creature isn't the same thing as trying to crush them.

The only time retracting bridges are going to get destroyed is when you're dealing with huge flying creatures, or when you build retracting bridges over existing ground.  Given that, I'm sure they're safe enough for your purposes.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14276 on: August 11, 2011, 07:32:55 pm »

No, you can't melt them down - not yet, anyway. I imagine something like this will appear one day.

He was probably difficult because of the copper feathers - the feathers register as a layer, and being made of copper they would have functioned like armour.

No, in this case the feathers were probably normal, 'copper' just refers to the colour.

I've had forgotten beasts composed of inorganics before that dissolved into useful objects; rough gems springs to mind. Most of the inorganics are made of useless stuff though.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14277 on: August 11, 2011, 08:35:17 pm »

No, in this case the feathers were probably normal, 'copper' just refers to the colour.

I've had forgotten beasts composed of inorganics before that dissolved into useful objects; rough gems springs to mind. Most of the inorganics are made of useless stuff though.

Perhaps you're right. I just sorta assumed that a metallic beast would produce copper globs, as opposed to copper ore/items, though.

Ah well. Probably just a tough FB, then.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14278 on: August 11, 2011, 09:16:53 pm »

also, how do you make a zoo?

Just (b)uild the cages (j) in a room/area set aside for the purpose. When you select cages, to select just the one(s) with what you want, expand the list first and you can select individual cages with beings/animals inside, rather than cage types.

You can't designate an official "zoo" room or anything, but I use (i) to then make it a generic meeting area. Then dwarves with nothing to do will often hang out there, and can get happy thoughts if they see something they like.

(I also do the same with aquariums and caught live fish in another nearby room, although I don't usually get a good variety of those. Boo. I have those two on the same level as my statue hall, whatever it's called.)

(Not sure about the other question, I don't tend to take gobbies out of cages until I release them in my arena via lever.)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14279 on: August 11, 2011, 11:06:04 pm »

Perhaps you're right. I just sorta assumed that a metallic beast would produce copper globs, as opposed to copper ore/items, though.

Ah well. Probably just a tough FB, then.

Well I don't remember the last time I fought a metallic beast, but bronze colossuses don't produce much of use save that nifty statue. I don't think metal FBs produce anything useful, but I know that at least gem ones do, and probably stone ones too.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: 1 ... 950 951 [952] 953 954 ... 1178