Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 949 950 [951] 952 953 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127107 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14250 on: August 11, 2011, 04:20:46 am »

What is necessary for migrants to be attracted to the fortress?

I think I've read that the dwarf diplomat needs to come and leave the map. Is that so?

That's so.  In addition, you need to have created wealth over the last visit, and you need to have not suffered too much death.  And you need available population cap, as set in your init.

If I set a military uniform to use metal objects, will my dwarfs automatically chose the best metal available?

e.g. If I set a uniform to have metal helms, will steel helms be used before iron helms?

In my experience, yes.  Not sure how it interacts with quality or close calls like bronze vs. iron.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14251 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:40 am »

If I set a military uniform to use metal objects, will my dwarfs automatically chose the best metal available?

e.g. If I set a uniform to have metal helms, will steel helms be used before iron helms?

Preference is based on the value of the item.  A steel helm will be preferred over an iron helm of the same quality because the steel one is more valuable.  It's conceivable that a masterpiece iron helm might be preferred over a no-quality steel helm; I'd have to check the actual numbers to be sure.

If you assign a uniform with a new item-type to a squad, the members of the squad will assign themselves a piece from the available inventory in top-down order.  Position 1 assigns herself the most valuable piece, then position 2 the second most valuable, and so on.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Echolon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14252 on: August 11, 2011, 07:58:16 am »

I have a question about forgotten beast. Recently I got a eight-legged elephant with copper feathers. If the feathers are made from copper, is the rest of his body also copper?
He was a little bit harder than the last two fb (crocodile with shell and earthenware quadropod with trunk) and killed a civilian gem cutter and three of my useful migrant "volunteers".
Can I melt metal fbs?

Thanks for help!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14253 on: August 11, 2011, 08:33:30 am »

Copper refers to the color of the feathers, not the material.  He's probably made of normal organic materials.

Remains from forgotten beasts made from inorganic materials are useless anyway - they can't be melted down or otherwise re-used.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14254 on: August 11, 2011, 08:37:38 am »

I have a question about forgotten beast. Recently I got a eight-legged elephant with copper feathers. If the feathers are made from copper, is the rest of his body also copper?
He was a little bit harder than the last two fb (crocodile with shell and earthenware quadropod with trunk) and killed a civilian gem cutter and three of my useful migrant "volunteers".
Can I melt metal fbs?

Thanks for help!

No, you can't melt them down - not yet, anyway. I imagine something like this will appear one day.

He was probably difficult because of the copper feathers - the feathers register as a layer, and being made of copper they would have functioned like armour.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14255 on: August 11, 2011, 08:37:59 am »

I was approached by a liaison to start my barony. When I chose to promote a dwarf I accidentally escaped out of the screen (without choosing anybody). Will the liaison approach me again next year or am I screwed?

Never mind I believe I found my answer in this thread
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:15:27 am by debvon »

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14256 on: August 11, 2011, 12:12:07 pm »

When assigning armor to my military dwarves, do boots, socks, gauntlets etc count as a pair, or do I need to select them twice?

I.e. am I okay with (for example):

Helm
Breastplate
Gauntlets
Greaves
Socks
Boots

...or do I need...

Helm
Breastplate
Gauntlets
Gauntlets
Greaves
Socks
Socks
Boots
Boots

...?  I know 'greaves' is a single item (i.e. each dwarf only needs one 'greaves'), but haven't managed to work out the others.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14257 on: August 11, 2011, 12:23:15 pm »

You only select it once.  "Gloves" for example will cause the dwarf to select a pair of hand-coverings.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14258 on: August 11, 2011, 12:26:08 pm »

That also applies to crafting them (though I'm sure you've figured this out). Say you assign 'forge iron high boots, 1' your smithy will make one pair, not one boot.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14259 on: August 11, 2011, 12:27:34 pm »

Awesome, thank you both (and phew, what a relief, that makes things a lot simpler than they could have been!)  :D
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14260 on: August 11, 2011, 03:08:40 pm »

Lately I have been getting "job item misplaced" messages - anyone know what those mean?

chronoshag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14261 on: August 11, 2011, 03:12:13 pm »

Stupid question concerning the Civilization [c] screen:

Does the civilization screen only list civilizations I've had contact with, or does it list all civilizations that I can have contact with?  Either I'm the most unlucky bastard in the world to have started 4(!) games in a row with no other civilizations (Other than whatever Dwarf one I've come from), or it's just because I haven't had the caravan to stop by yet.  I'd like to know, since I'm supposed to be starting a bloodlines game - I want the fortress to blow up because a player did something stupid, not because there wasn't anyone to trade with.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:18:40 pm by chronoshag »

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14262 on: August 11, 2011, 03:15:26 pm »

somthing ist right. i have a deep one tile hole which i built goblin thief cages round then assigned the thievs to them and they were thrown in. nothing has changed but now for some reason the thieves escape, why?

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14263 on: August 11, 2011, 03:16:26 pm »

also, how do you make a zoo?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14264 on: August 11, 2011, 03:22:00 pm »

Does the civilization screen only list civilizations I've had contact with, or does it list all civilizations that I can have contact with? 
The Civilization screen only lists a civilization if a member of that civilization has been on your map.  So until they've sent caravans or ambushes or thieves or whatever they won't show up.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 949 950 [951] 952 953 ... 1178