Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127082 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14235 on: August 09, 2011, 08:13:07 pm »

Dwarfwashes help control the spread of the syndrome.  A bit.  Make sure everyone's got boots, but there's nothing you can do about the kids except burrow 'em.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

OMGRussian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14236 on: August 09, 2011, 10:08:36 pm »

How can I make a finished goods stockpile exclude leather waterskins? They don't seem to be affected by any of the settings I see or choose.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14237 on: August 09, 2011, 10:10:18 pm »

Under types, un-highlight "flasks"

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14238 on: August 09, 2011, 11:14:46 pm »

Small squads (2-3), with a commander who has good stats (organization and weapon skills) can lower your training times.

So that's where I was going wrong! I was having one dwarf train nine others to be just like them, and by the time that the goblins invaded, I had maybe one squad of partially-trained, partially-equipped speardwarfs. I'll keep that in mind as I continue this new game on my old save. Thank you for your help everyone who answered my questions. I'll make sure to come back next time.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14239 on: August 10, 2011, 12:54:42 pm »

Here's a question. Can fishing ever be sustainable, or will it ultimately be overfished and the counter reach zero? I asked because on a recent fort run, I seemed to have an everlasting supply of yak cows/bulls run through the land even though I trapped/killed like 75% of each appearence.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14240 on: August 10, 2011, 01:02:13 pm »

Here's a question. Can fishing ever be sustainable, or will it ultimately be overfished and the counter reach zero? I asked because on a recent fort run, I seemed to have an everlasting supply of yak cows/bulls run through the land even though I trapped/killed like 75% of each appearence.
i do not think it can be.  perhaps if you fish only one or two months a year, if that.

i am also unsure, but i think if at least one survivor animal makes it off the map, the population counter does not decrease.  i might have been misunderstanding what i've read, however.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14241 on: August 10, 2011, 03:00:02 pm »

Do non-human settlements occur in DF v0.31.24??

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14242 on: August 10, 2011, 03:01:07 pm »

Do non-human settlements occur in DF v0.31.24??
No, nor do they in 31.25.

What you can do, however, is change the creatures' site types to city.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14243 on: August 10, 2011, 06:39:08 pm »

When I put in an order to produce "iron bolts", is that for 1 bolt? 25 bolts? Something else?

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14244 on: August 10, 2011, 07:41:42 pm »

When I put in an order to produce "iron bolts", is that for 1 bolt? 25 bolts? Something else?

Metal and wood bolts are produced in batches of 25 for each production order.  Bone in 5.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14245 on: August 10, 2011, 07:51:45 pm »

A dwarf in a fey mood is asking for "rock bars", but I can't find them in any production menu.  I know its not rock blocks, because she wants those too.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14246 on: August 10, 2011, 08:02:13 pm »

A dwarf in a fey mood is asking for "rock bars", but I can't find them in any production menu.  I know its not rock blocks, because she wants those too.

Ah, you can make some metal bars to satisfy that.

I find the best thing to do in cases like this is refer to the wiki; its article on strange moods is remarkably complete.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Strange_mood
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14247 on: August 10, 2011, 08:20:34 pm »

Yaks have the [PET] tag, and are non-vermin, so they will breed, even as untamed yaks in the wild.  So long as a few of each group that appear escape, you'll always have wild yaks.  Fishable vermin fish don't breed, so you will eventually run out of them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14248 on: August 11, 2011, 12:25:13 am »

What is necessary for migrants to be attracted to the fortress?

I think I've read that the dwarf diplomat needs to come and leave the map. Is that so?

fergus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14249 on: August 11, 2011, 04:14:17 am »

If I set a military uniform to use metal objects, will my dwarfs automatically chose the best metal available?

e.g. If I set a uniform to have metal helms, will steel helms be used before iron helms?
BY THE GODS! THIS QUOTE MADE MY SIG BOX HAVE A SCROLL BAR! HAPPY DAYS INDEED!
BY THE GODS! YOU HAVE TOO MANY SIGS!
Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1178