Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127083 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14205 on: August 08, 2011, 04:39:23 pm »

What's a good name for underground-dwelling dwarfs? I'm making a cavern-exclusive fort, and I can't come up with a good name for this group of dwarfs.

Deep Dwarves, called "down-underers" by the strangers of the surface!
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14206 on: August 08, 2011, 05:39:04 pm »

I've met all the requirements for making my fortress the capital but right now my population is at 246.  Will I still have the king/queen come as immigrants? (Haven't had a migrant wave in years of game time)

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14207 on: August 08, 2011, 05:41:55 pm »

is there a bug with pet burial? I've laid several coffins and marked them as burials for pets only, but they are not effin using them... and now a dwarf is trowing a tantrum because his stupid cat died and no one buried the effin thing.....

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14208 on: August 08, 2011, 07:09:15 pm »

Carve a slab in the cats honour and butcher the thing.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14209 on: August 08, 2011, 07:24:04 pm »

Do glass weapon traps (spikes, serrated discs) work correctly now in 31.25?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14210 on: August 08, 2011, 07:25:15 pm »

Yes.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14211 on: August 08, 2011, 07:28:48 pm »

Yes.

So if I have sand and magma, it's basically an infinite source of highly effective trap components?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14212 on: August 08, 2011, 07:39:00 pm »

Yes.

So if I have sand and magma, it's basically an infinite source of highly effective trap components?

Essentially.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14213 on: August 08, 2011, 08:10:24 pm »

Carve a slab in the cats honour and butcher the thing.

Can't carve memorial slabs for pets(well at least none of the pet names appear in the engrave memorial slab menu), I just don't understand why they aren't burying the pets, I built the coffins and set them for Burial Y, Allow citizens N, Allow Pets Y.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14214 on: August 08, 2011, 09:08:53 pm »

My question is, is bismuth bronze good enough if I somehow arm my dwarves properly, or should I try to get iron one way or another?

Lucky you, I can only arm my militia in copper for now.

Bronze will be good enough for generic troops, yes, as Nil noted. However, you will struggle as further waves of ambushes and sieges come.

Sieges only hit at 80 dwarves, so you'll have a good couple of years (typically around year four for me) to gather steel from humans (melt down everything iron and steel that they bring!) and dwarves to begin arming up your army.

Also consider investing in a bit of crossbow training - bones are ubiquitous, for one reason or another, in every single fort - and bone bolts make for cheap (if relatively weak) ammunition. However, a goblin that looks something like a porcupine will still suffer, even if the bolts are as weak as nerf darts.

I also know where the magma and adamantine is thanks to one particular save that I have backed up, but it would require me to dig down over 100 z-levels just to use it and I'm more of a fan of smaller, compact fortresses. I usually get my first invasion after two or three years at most, and by then I am nowhere near ready half the time since I suck at training my dwarves. So now I actually have another question.

I have tried numerous times to train my dwarves, but it takes forever for them just to get the skills I would like for them to have, because normally I have to rely on immigrants just to get any sort of weapon or combat skills. Usually by the time I get invaders the melee units are about halfway ready to being able to fight off the invaders, while the ranged units are nowhere near completion since half the time I don't have someone who can make crossbows and the other half of the time I don't have bones.

What should I do in particular to better manage my military in regards to it's training and it's arsenal? Any weapons that I should focus on crafting by the way? I tend to like spears for some reason, as I read that they can do critical damage pretty easily correct me if I'm wrong. Should I go for something else?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14215 on: August 08, 2011, 09:29:10 pm »

Small squads (2-3), with a commander who has good stats (organization and weapon skills) can lower your training times.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14216 on: August 09, 2011, 07:11:43 am »

Can't carve memorial slabs for pets(well at least none of the pet names appear in the engrave memorial slab menu), I just don't understand why they aren't burying the pets, I built the coffins and set them for Burial Y, Allow citizens N, Allow Pets Y.

Most likely they can't reach the corpse, either due to natural barriers or burrows or {forbiddenness}.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14217 on: August 09, 2011, 08:22:44 am »

I'm trying to get my dwarves to disarm some caged goblins by marking their weapons for dumping and they don't seem to get around to doing it. I have a garbage zone designated and everything -- any thoughts?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14218 on: August 09, 2011, 08:30:28 am »

I'm trying to get my dwarves to disarm some caged goblins by marking their weapons for dumping and they don't seem to get around to doing it. I have a garbage zone designated and everything -- any thoughts?

Always start easy. Do you have idlers sitting around doing nothing, despite giving the order to dump the items? Dorfs are pretty infamous for being, well, pretty... dim and have a tendency to not get to things that you, the player, want done in a timely order and seem to like to goof off as long as possible.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14219 on: August 09, 2011, 09:07:25 am »

Always start easy. Do you have idlers sitting around doing nothing, despite giving the order to dump the items? Dorfs are pretty infamous for being, well, pretty... dim and have a tendency to not get to things that you, the player, want done in a timely order and seem to like to goof off as long as possible.

Yeah, I do, and I'm *fairly* sure they have the hauling labors enabled. Burrow restrictions are turned off, but the goblins in question are inside a burrow zone. Is there any special labor for dumping or is it an all-dwarves task?
Pages: 1 ... 946 947 [948] 949 950 ... 1178