Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 945 946 [947] 948 949 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127269 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14190 on: August 08, 2011, 10:57:56 am »

What's a good name for underground-dwelling dwarfs?

Dwarfs.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14191 on: August 08, 2011, 11:17:41 am »

I've seen somewhere that somebody called their dwarfs by a different name, I can't remember what it was. I want a name other than 'dwarf' for my cavern dwellers.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14192 on: August 08, 2011, 11:20:48 am »

I've seen somewhere that somebody called their dwarfs by a different name, I can't remember what it was. I want a name other than 'dwarf' for my cavern dwellers.

Dwerrows.

“It should be dwarrows (or dwerrows), if singular and plural had each gone its own way down the years, as have man and men or goose and geese.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14193 on: August 08, 2011, 11:54:55 am »

This time it didn't, will it attack my dwarves when any enemy attacks next time, or is it really tame this time?

Simple answer: If you caught it before he killed any dwarves, then he will be tame.

Any animal that has tasted dwarven blood can never be truly tamed - Which I expect was the case with your first hydra.

are dungeon masters still bugged, if so how do i set all animals to non-exotic

Yes, they're still bugged.

To make all pets non-exotic, you have to be prepared to do a lot of RAWs editing. Navigate to the RAWs folder in the Dwarf Fortress directory (DwarfFortress --> raw --> objects) and open up every single .txt file that begins with the word creature.

Then, search for every tag that says [PET_EXOTIC] and replace it with [PET]. The square brackets are important!

Then save and generate up a new world.

Actually you don't need to generate a new world, just change the raws on the world save folder directly.

Also you can use this wonderful program called handy file tool, it allows to replace text in several text files at once, it's really a life saver for me in many occasions, in this case what would have taken at least 20 minutes to do took but a couple of seconds, it can also find text in several files in case you want to change just an specific creature.

Now for my first question of today, I read that you can influence where trade caravans spawn with paved roads connected to a depot, does it have to be completely connected without any gaps at all? because in my case the road would have to go through a couple of bridges before getting to the depot.

Sinlessraptor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14194 on: August 08, 2011, 12:43:19 pm »

Do cage traps or weapon traps work whilst submerged in 7/7 water?

I've trapped my legendary craftsdwarf in a burrow and I want to link his well to the haunted ocean in the corner of my map, but I don't want to give the trolls a highway into my fort.

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14195 on: August 08, 2011, 01:32:51 pm »

I don't belive i've ever heard of anyone trying that TBH. Time for !Science! i think...

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14196 on: August 08, 2011, 01:44:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure they do, but its a hunch. If they don't upright spear traps surely will. (I have been thinking up some ways to deal with invaders/nobles involving this...)
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14197 on: August 08, 2011, 01:45:16 pm »

Question about mechanisms.
I've been trying to set up an filtering entrance to the fortress with a pressure plate and a hatch.
The idea was to put a plate linked up to an open hatch which would shut if enemies came near, but would remain open for dwarves.
That's the idea anyway.
In reality, it seems I can only make the pressure plate open the hatch, not close it.
Is there any way to link up a pressure plate to make a hatch close, or is there another solution for dwarf filtration? I'd like to let my dwarves come and go as they please but keep goblins and undesirables from entering. A low-maintenance entrance.

I don't have the link ATM, but check out the thread on the "goblin grinder."  Good discussion on the mechanics of pressure plates and hatches that accomplishes exactly what you have in mind.
At last, she is done.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14198 on: August 08, 2011, 02:06:24 pm »

is medicine still bugged, ive got a guy who my dwarves wont diagnose. yes i have a chief medical dwarf and he has no other jobs assigned but diagnosing and pattent care, he's doing nothing.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14199 on: August 08, 2011, 02:47:01 pm »

Check his personality for "dislikes helping others", or something like that.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14200 on: August 08, 2011, 02:52:33 pm »

he's diagnosed previous people, just not this one

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14201 on: August 08, 2011, 03:03:53 pm »

try designating your hospital zone as a burrow and assign the doctor to it. Make sure he's got everything appropriately enabled. Make sure the patient still needs diagnosing (check his history for weird results).

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14202 on: August 08, 2011, 03:36:04 pm »

Have you tried wooden blocks?
Also, look at his personality and see if he likes and materials that blocks can be made of. If dwarves have material preferances, they'll sometimes want that specific material for their artifact.

He's still doing it!

Thanks for the replies!

He's got over ten silver blocks available, lots of silver bars and copper bars, aluminum bars. I cut more wood for logs, made some into blocks, nothing. He has over 60 cut gems available.

As for likes, he seems to like jet, and rose gold. He has the latter available!

Okay, maybe I got it wrong on my first post - he might be stuck on cloth? But I have two wool cloth and a lot of pig fiber whatsit in bins. I don't have silk... Could that be it? I even scheduled another puppy for death in case the piglet bones weren't enough.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14203 on: August 08, 2011, 03:44:44 pm »

he's not been diagnosed and has a shattered skull, a broken rib and punctured lung and a shattered hand

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14204 on: August 08, 2011, 03:57:37 pm »

Have you tried wooden blocks?
Also, look at his personality and see if he likes and materials that blocks can be made of. If dwarves have material preferances, they'll sometimes want that specific material for their artifact.

He's still doing it!

Thanks for the replies!

He's got over ten silver blocks available, lots of silver bars and copper bars, aluminum bars. I cut more wood for logs, made some into blocks, nothing. He has over 60 cut gems available.

As for likes, he seems to like jet, and rose gold. He has the latter available!

Okay, maybe I got it wrong on my first post - he might be stuck on cloth? But I have two wool cloth and a lot of pig fiber whatsit in bins. I don't have silk... Could that be it? I even scheduled another puppy for death in case the piglet bones weren't enough.

I dug deeper into the forums (should have done that first) and found out that dwarfs will tell you cloth but won't always specify. This guy was making sketches, so I couldn't tell. And he needed silk. So I tapped my caverns, built a loom, and now he's working on his mysterious construction.

Edit: He made... Kutam Azim: A Pine Animal Trap!
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.
Pages: 1 ... 945 946 [947] 948 949 ... 1178