Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 942 943 [944] 945 946 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127293 times)

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14145 on: August 07, 2011, 02:41:30 pm »

thanks for the help guys, one more question came up though.

I recently acquired a Tiger from a elven caravan, he is already tame, I changed PET_EXOTIC to PET in the text files in the world save raws, I did this for all the creature_xxx.txt files, but I still don't get an option to train him on the kennel, what else is needed? I don't have a dungeon master yet but as I understand it he doesn't make any difference because it's bugged, hence why changing the PET_EXOTIC to PET, so I need to change the raws in the main folder as well?
The [TRAINABLE] tag allows creatures to be trained.

but the TRAINABLE tag is already there, so do I actually need a dungeon master for the option to train a tiger to be enabled?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14146 on: August 07, 2011, 02:48:13 pm »

No, it just needs to be tameable and trainable. The "Train a <hunting/war> dog" task doesn't actually mean dog - it means any animal that can be trained.

Also, it can't be caged or chained. It can be pastured, but if it is it will only be available for training if the kennel's also in that pasture. The animal has to be able to actually get to the kennel.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 02:50:07 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14147 on: August 07, 2011, 03:47:33 pm »

Here's one I haven't seen before.  My best armor gets a mood (yay!) but it's a possession (boo!).  Claims a forge, grabs a single bar of gold and begins a mysterious construction.  Months pass and he's still in the forge mumbling about his artifact.  More months pass and he goes insane.  What the...

Is this a bug or did I miss something?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14148 on: August 07, 2011, 03:48:34 pm »

Did it say he began a mysterious construction?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14149 on: August 07, 2011, 03:49:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Does it give any advantage over the enemy, though? Do they have to shoot from closer, or have accuracy reduced? And if dwarves are sufficiently high enough, can they shoot over walls? Say if they are shooting from a tower built behind walls?
I know of no real advantages that being up high gives a marksdwarf. Yes, they can shoot over walls down at enemies, but enemy marksmen can also shoot over walls up at them.
The only advantage I can think of is preventing enemy marksmen from getting close to fortifications, giving your dwarves the advantage since they're right up next to them.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14150 on: August 07, 2011, 03:55:49 pm »

Did it say he began a mysterious construction?

Yeah.  Grabbed one bar and I immediately got the message "has began a mysterious construction!"  Upon further viewing of the forge, he did not make any requirements such as "needs rock bars..." or whatnot.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14151 on: August 07, 2011, 03:56:44 pm »

He just kept muttering a name?

Was the workshop cluttered by any chance? That may have an effect.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14152 on: August 07, 2011, 03:59:23 pm »

Here's one I haven't seen before.  My best armor gets a mood (yay!) but it's a possession (boo!).  Claims a forge, grabs a single bar of gold and begins a mysterious construction.  Months pass and he's still in the forge mumbling about his artifact.  More months pass and he goes insane.  What the...

Is this a bug or did I miss something?

Is it possible that you forbid the bar or the workshop after construction began?  Because that's what happens when you do that.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14153 on: August 07, 2011, 04:05:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure there was no clutter.

When he got his mood, I forbade all metal bars except for gold.  After he started his construction, I unforbade them.  Maybe I inadvertently hit forbid on gold again.  That has never happened before...

I also may have set the stone type of the workshop to economic while he was building his artifact.  Though I wouldn't have expected it to have that kind of effect.

One last thing I thought may have caused it, though unlikely, was the magma level at the forge mystically dropped at some point during construction.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14154 on: August 07, 2011, 04:30:41 pm »

I've accidentally forbid things when unforbidding a long list.  That'd do it.  But magma drop would also do it.  If it's ever too low during construction, the mood ends in insanity.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14155 on: August 07, 2011, 04:32:43 pm »

After posting in Mods, I realize this is a better place to bring this up.

Did .25 change things alot? I haven't seen any kobolds in any of my embarks, also I'm noticing significantly fewer goblins trying to snatch children.

I even lowered titan requirement down to 30 population I think and 60,000 created wealth. Yet my current fortress is at about 61 population and 120,000 created wealth and... well, nothing has happened. Do Good biomes really scare off things THAT much? I just want my military outfitted in unicorn leather  :-\

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14156 on: August 07, 2011, 04:42:42 pm »

Kobolds usually all die out right around year four now, because they don't produce they're own food.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14157 on: August 07, 2011, 04:46:24 pm »

Kobolds usually all die out right around year four now, because they don't produce they're own food.

Anyway to help the poor guys survive? Just make it so they don't need to eat?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14158 on: August 07, 2011, 04:47:02 pm »

I also may have set the stone type of the workshop to economic while he was building his artifact.  Though I wouldn't have expected it to have that kind of effect.

This wouldn't have any effect - moody dwarves completely ignore economic restrictions.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14159 on: August 07, 2011, 04:57:01 pm »

Anyway to help the poor guys survive? Just make it so they don't need to eat?
Adding [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to their raws is supposed to help get them through world gen. (I don't know exactly where those tags should go, sorry.)
Pages: 1 ... 942 943 [944] 945 946 ... 1178