Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127346 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14130 on: August 07, 2011, 11:38:59 am »

If I put my marksdwarves up on a wall or a small tower so that they are on a higher z-level than the enemy, would they still be able to shoot them?

And does a higher z-level give a better "view range" (i.e, does it allow ambushers to be spotted further away?)
Yes, they'll still shoot, but their range will suffer. If your dwarf is one tile up, the enemy will have to be one tile closer for your dwarf to shoot.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14131 on: August 07, 2011, 12:08:54 pm »

man I'm having a hard time keeping my military happy, their average happiness is around 80 which is not good, if one of those mother effers goes on a murderous rage the fort is screwed.

And I can't understand why, most of them are complaining about long patrols but I have the squads set for 2 less then their total amount at all times for training and also have it scheduled only once every 2 months, so they'll train a month, than be on break the next and so on, actually some of them don't seem to know wtf they want, their thoughts will say they were upset by being released from duty and then right after that it will say they were enraged or depressed by long patrol duty... I can't win...

every single one of them have their own rooms, there is a legendary dining room, all the prepared food is at least of fine quality, there's 4 different drink varieties and also they are of at least fine quality, I've created big barracks for each squad with smoothed and engraved stone walls and floor plus good quality furniture and doors, I really can't think of anything else to do, so is there?

Also I ran into a weird occurrence, we were attacked by a Roc and one of my military dwarves , the millitia commander no less, kept going back to the barracks/stockpile to drop or get equipment even when I ordered them to attack, I really don't know what happened at one point I took a look on what she had equipped and she had no breast plate or leggings/greaves, I don't know even why she was without them because I set the squads to keep uniformed even on break, can this have something to do with setting the barracks as the squad's armory? I heard barracks are quite buggy as of now, well actually I hear the whole military is quite bugged as of now.

And about bolts, are silver bolts completely useless? unfortunately I haven't found a single effin iron ore on my embark... just stupid galena which gives lead and silver.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14132 on: August 07, 2011, 12:17:48 pm »

Regarding happiness, waterfall spam will help that.

I don't know about the equipment thing.

Silver bolts are made of kill.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14133 on: August 07, 2011, 12:30:50 pm »

Speaking of bolts... can dwarves carry both a crossbow and a melee weapon? If so, are they be smart enough to switch to a melee weapon instead of waving around the crossbow?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14134 on: August 07, 2011, 12:38:57 pm »

man I'm having a hard time keeping my military happy, their average happiness is around 80 which is not good, if one of those mother effers goes on a murderous rage the fort is screwed.
You should be fine if they're getting used to tragedy / hardened / not really caring about anything any more. The more traumatised they are, the better!

their thoughts will say they were upset by being released from duty and then right after that it will say they were enraged or depressd by long patrol duty...
I don't know about the scheduling issue, but to not be upset by being released from duty they need to have some sort of civilian profession. Pump Operator is a good one, as it takes no materials and skills up pretty quickly. Eventually they get good enough to not be bothered by long duty. I'm not sure whether this happens at Elite or whether they need to get to Legendary, but it does happen sooner or later.

I really can't think of anything else to do, so is there?
What's the room quality and are they sleeping in their rooms? I had problems with military crashing in the hospital for no apparent reason, and then it went away. Otherwise, check their thoughts and see what their complaints are.

I don't know even why she was without them because I set the squads to keep uniformed even on break, can this have something to do with setting the barracks as the squad's armory?
Maybe. If you haven't changed the uniform recently (overloading a body part can lead to dwarves making space for what they should be wearing by taking off what they should be wearing) and the armoury thing is the only thing you've changed, then it's the most likely culprit. Armour racks are bugged, one of these bugs being that items in armour racks are valid targets for hauling jobs. Better to keep the weapon and armour stockpiles close to the barracks (assuming they're all roughly in the same area) and behind some sort of defense.

And about bolts, are silver bolts completely useless? unfortunately I haven't found a single effin iron ore on my embark... just stupid galena which gives lead and silver.
There's some testing going on with that at the moment, but silver bolts are useful even if they're not the death from above they're made out to be.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14135 on: August 07, 2011, 12:58:25 pm »

How long should a dwarf be in traction for?

I've one dwarf with an overlapping fracture who has been in traction for that injury about seven times now.  Each time he gets placed on a traction bench...and just lies there.  For months.  With nothing happening.  Is that normal?  As per the wiki, I've deconstructed the traction bench a number of times, which gets him moving for a short moment, then he just crawls back into a hospital bed and waits for someone to put him back on the bl**dy traction bench!

Will he ever get treated correctly/get better, or should I start engraving his memorial slab now (while thinking up a way to get him in a position to, uh, 'use' it)?  :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14136 on: August 07, 2011, 01:01:13 pm »

Do trees burn in magma in 31.25 or do I have to cover my magma reservoir floor with constructed floor tiles like I did with my water reservoir?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14137 on: August 07, 2011, 01:02:03 pm »

man I'm having a hard time keeping my military happy

Make sure they're not "Recruits" when on-duty (have some military skill), and make sure they're not "Peasants" when off-duty (have some civilian skill).

Also I ran into a weird occurrence, we were attacked by a Roc and one of my military dwarves , the millitia commander no less, kept going back to the barracks/stockpile to drop or get equipment even when I ordered them to attack, I really don't know what happened at one point I took a look on what she had equipped and she had no breast plate or leggings/greaves, I don't know even why she was without them because I set the squads to keep uniformed even on break [...]

She's probably doing the equipment dance.  If she's wearing lots of personal civilian clothing and tries to put all of her uniform layers over top of it, she may not be able to do so.  In many of these cases, she'll keep swapping back and forth between two specific pieces.  The fix is to turn off "wear uniform over clothing" for her, or for the whole squad, or for everyone.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14138 on: August 07, 2011, 01:26:12 pm »

As per the wiki, I've deconstructed the traction bench a number of times, which gets him moving for a short moment, then he just crawls back into a hospital bed and waits for someone to put him back on the bl**dy traction bench!
Check his health screen. It's overwhelmingly likely that he's still injured and the game isn't bugging out, but check anyway. Check his thoughts and preference screen as well, to see if he has a slow healing rate. That makes a huge difference. Maybe you're just unlucky. In 40d and earlier a check would be made each season to see if a dwarf would recover any HP on a damaged part, and if healing still has that random element then a string of bad rolls would slow down healing a lot.

Barring any problems with food and water and hygiene he'll be up eventually, but for the sake of job assignments just assume he's dead.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14139 on: August 07, 2011, 01:45:10 pm »

If I put my marksdwarves up on a wall or a small tower so that they are on a higher z-level than the enemy, would they still be able to shoot them?

And does a higher z-level give a better "view range" (i.e, does it allow ambushers to be spotted further away?)
Yes, they'll still shoot, but their range will suffer. If your dwarf is one tile up, the enemy will have to be one tile closer for your dwarf to shoot.

Does it give any advantage over the enemy, though? Do they have to shoot from closer, or have accuracy reduced? And if dwarves are sufficiently high enough, can they shoot over walls? Say if they are shooting from a tower built behind walls?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Vonyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14140 on: August 07, 2011, 01:49:05 pm »

A little q.

I encountered an ambush, I had to rush my 4 steel swordsdwarfs out to try to save the dwarven liaison. One of my dwarfs had no armour, and got injured ofc. 

Both arms and both legs, broken and some cuts, apparently my dwarves don't have that much empathy for the damaged. (no shit.)

Well, he survived, eventually my CMD went out for him and put him in bed (@ hospital, with a lot of everything that is needed)

The survivors injuries healed somewhat when he was outside, and now he's bones is "dent" and a lot of scars is mentioned in his thoughts.

The question is then, I get spammed with "Cancels pick up equipment: To injured"

I guess the only way to get him "ok" again is to damage him myself, right?

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14141 on: August 07, 2011, 01:58:58 pm »

It's possibble that his injuries have been left so long they are unable to fully heal. Or that fixing the involved amputations. Certianlly AFAIK, once a dwarf has beenm discharged he's as fixed as he'll get.

Vonyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14142 on: August 07, 2011, 02:00:18 pm »

Ok, as I suspected then.

(Apparently the CMD is his wife.)

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14143 on: August 07, 2011, 02:05:26 pm »

thanks for the help guys, one more question came up though.

I recently acquired a Tiger from a elven caravan, he is already tame, I changed PET_EXOTIC to PET in the text files in the world save raws, I did this for all the creature_xxx.txt files, but I still don't get an option to train him on the kennel, what else is needed? I don't have a dungeon master yet but as I understand it he doesn't make any difference because it's bugged, hence why changing the PET_EXOTIC to PET, so I need to change the raws in the main folder as well?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14144 on: August 07, 2011, 02:06:25 pm »

thanks for the help guys, one more question came up though.

I recently acquired a Tiger from a elven caravan, he is already tame, I changed PET_EXOTIC to PET in the text files in the world save raws, I did this for all the creature_xxx.txt files, but I still don't get an option to train him on the kennel, what else is needed? I don't have a dungeon master yet but as I understand it he doesn't make any difference because it's bugged, hence why changing the PET_EXOTIC to PET, so I need to change the raws in the main folder as well?
The [TRAINABLE] tag allows creatures to be trained.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 1178