Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 938 939 [940] 941 942 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127393 times)

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14085 on: August 05, 2011, 07:07:56 pm »

Thanks for the military advice that seems to have fixed it for all but one and i figure he'll work it out in time, once i gave the order, 4 reported to the spot immiddietly, the other 2 grabbed spears and they took it in turns going to get spears whilst leaving 4 in place till all but 1 had one. Hopefully they'll get back to training withotu a fuss now i've disabled the position order.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14086 on: August 05, 2011, 07:15:30 pm »

Hrm, okay, so stuff in a stockpile (like artifact bracelets and such) won't increase a room's value, but will they give a dwarf good thoughts if they're in the same room? I'm guessing no, but I'm not sure.

nope, though there are mods that add "display case" type items that can, and i think they boost room value as well.  i dont use one, so i dont know for sure.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14087 on: August 05, 2011, 07:31:27 pm »

A little question about the military, I have a full squad (10) and I set the training schedule so there will only be 7 minimum at all times, but they are still complaining about lengthy patrols, what gives?

Also a question about traps, in the case of the upright spike trap, what is the benefit of adding more then 1 spike/spear per trap? it still only occupies a single tile so if an enemy falls into a upright spike tile with 10 spikes does that means he'll get stabbed 10 times?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14088 on: August 05, 2011, 08:06:15 pm »

Also a question about traps, in the case of the upright spike trap, what is the benefit of adding more then 1 spike/spear per trap? it still only occupies a single tile so if an enemy falls into a upright spike tile with 10 spikes does that means he'll get stabbed 10 times?

If I remember correctly upright spikes by themselves are worthless and won´t damage any enemy falling into them.
You have to connect them to a lever with which you can extend and retract the spikes (and afterwards, if you want the trap to be active, you have to order the lever to be continuously activated. But be careful, the spikes then won´t make a difference between enemies and friends...every person/animal/whatever that gets onto the tile with the spikes will be attacked [even trapavoid creatures]).

And yes, if you put 10 spikes into the spike trap, each creature on the same tile will get attacked 10 times with each pull of the lever ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:08:19 pm by Proteus »

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14089 on: August 05, 2011, 10:00:49 pm »

A little question about the military, I have a full squad (10) and I set the training schedule so there will only be 7 minimum at all times, but they are still complaining about lengthy patrols, what gives?

The fact is, they're still active for long periods of time. At the end of a month on duty they'll begin to complain, at the end of two months they get rather upset.

With seven minimum there's quite a bit of overlap between the two months.

The best way to do it, I've found, is to have them alternate. Spend a month or two on duty and then a month off duty. Alternating like that is a good way to keep them happier.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14090 on: August 05, 2011, 11:07:12 pm »

If I remember correctly upright spikes by themselves are worthless and won´t damage any enemy falling into them.
You have to connect them to a lever with which you can extend and retract the spikes (and afterwards, if you want the trap to be active, you have to order the lever to be continuously activated. But be careful, the spikes then won´t make a difference between enemies and friends...every person/animal/whatever that gets onto the tile with the spikes will be attacked [even trapavoid creatures]).

And yes, if you put 10 spikes into the spike trap, each creature on the same tile will get attacked 10 times with each pull of the lever ;)
Actually, upright spike traps will hurt something falling from above, if they're not retracted.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14091 on: August 05, 2011, 11:10:20 pm »

Actually, upright spike traps will hurt something falling from above, if they're not retracted.

If I recall correctly, the key is to have the spikes more than one level below the drop.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14092 on: August 06, 2011, 12:22:15 am »

thanks for all the responses, they really help.

I have some more questions though (also they're probably not the last).

again about the military, if I set a barracks to be both individual and squad equipment armory are they supposed to store their stuff on there? I have 3 armor stands and 3 weapon hacks but they don't seem to be using them.

Also with those settings on will they still upgrade their armor/weapons from a stockpile somewhere else in the fort?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14093 on: August 06, 2011, 12:27:22 am »

thanks for all the responses, they really help.

I have some more questions though (also they're probably not the last).

again about the military, if I set a barracks to be both individual and squad equipment armory are they supposed to store their stuff on there? I have 3 armor stands and 3 weapon hacks but they don't seem to be using them.

Also with those settings on will they still upgrade their armor/weapons from a stockpile somewhere else in the fort?

Weapon racks/armor stands won't store stuff.  You need cabinets and coffers.  The idea is that dwarves will put their clothes away there when they change into armor, and vice versa, if you have "instead of clothes," but I'm not sure if that's working or not.

With those settings they'll still upgrade from anywhere.  Just wait until one of your soldiers falls in the middle of a siege and a single dwarf runs out in to the middle of the goblins with "Pick up equipment" orders....
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14094 on: August 06, 2011, 07:19:09 am »

Quick question, how does one remove the graphics from a mod (Genesis for me) to revert it to the original vanilla graphics? I want to make a movie that doesn't bug when it plays as the symbols get distorted when movie making in Genesis.

Edit: And another ?: Does anyone know how to use ASCII Draw?  :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 09:01:43 am by Tiruin »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14095 on: August 06, 2011, 09:16:48 am »

Just wait until one of your soldiers falls in the middle of a siege and a single dwarf runs out in to the middle of the goblins with "Pick up equipment" orders....
Shouldn't forbid orders solve this problem?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14096 on: August 06, 2011, 11:29:25 am »

i have a problem with undergound tree farming. i have a mudy soil and in have breached a cavern. but there are no sapplings coming up. in the cavern are no trees or sapling eithere what am i doing wrong?
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14097 on: August 06, 2011, 11:31:02 am »

i have a problem with undergound tree farming. i have a mudy soil and in have breached a cavern. but there are no sapplings coming up. in the cavern are no trees or sapling eithere what am i doing wrong?
Is there water in the cavern? If not, you'll have to breach the next cavern down.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14098 on: August 06, 2011, 12:01:51 pm »

Do tame building destroyers smash things?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14099 on: August 06, 2011, 12:28:03 pm »

Is there water in the cavern? If not, you'll have to breach the next cavern down.

i have breached a new cavern and this one had water sapling are growing everywhere now. thx
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.
Pages: 1 ... 938 939 [940] 941 942 ... 1178