Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 937 938 [939] 940 941 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127378 times)

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14070 on: August 05, 2011, 09:28:20 am »

Me too so i'd say yeah, in fact jewls is the only thing besides dolomite i have in abundance...

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14071 on: August 05, 2011, 10:36:27 am »

I have a leatherworking shop and a leatherworker but he won't make anything. I can't figure out why. I thought it was a P I had set or the "only allow person X" to use it but removing those didn't fix it. I checked the stocks as well and didn't see anything there either. The worker just goes about his day w/ nojob other than drinking/eating/sleeping. It's been this way for seasons. He use to be fine. Any ideas of other things I can look into. My Dwarfs need pants damnit!

Also, for the Stocks screen. There are two shades of 'F' when looking at items. What is the difference between the greyed out yellow F and the bright yellow F?

Also, for military: the green checkmark like symbol next to the uniform item implies that the user was able to satisfy that item. Right?

Also, for stuff on the ground I have small 1x3 bedrooms. My dwarfs have started leaving junk around "owned by X". Does that mean I can't put cabinets down in the rooms now that the 2 open spaces of the 1x3 have clothing w/o nuking the beds? I can't seem to get them to clean up after themselves.

Also, wells took me like 2 days to figure out how to build. That's not really a problem I thought I'd just mention it. Floodgates and grates are wonderful. So is an infinite internal water supply. =) *stares at all the goblins milling about outside*

So, I think the workshop eventually unwedged. I set new leatherworkers who also wouldn't use it. I built a new one instead which worked fine. Then some time later lo and behold, I saw someone working in there. It coincidentally occurred after I traded in a whole lot more new leather (cuz it was cheap).

I think somehow the shop wanted some specific form of leather that got used up somehow and wouldn't select new leather even though the jobs were canceled and restarted...?

Oddly, I think I have the same problem with a metalsmith now. :/

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14072 on: August 05, 2011, 11:08:27 am »

Check the workshop profile. maybe you set it to only use dwarfs of sufficently high skill. As such till some train on the new workshop they do nothing.

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14073 on: August 05, 2011, 11:21:17 am »

Check the workshop profile. maybe you set it to only use dwarfs of sufficently high skill. As such till some train on the new workshop they do nothing.

I did check that. That wasn't it. It had been set to something higher than dabbler (I had a high master). I think I set it to Proficient. I set it back to Dabbler but it didn't help. I'd file it as a bug (I think it's a bug... but I can't reproduce it reliably and being a [really crappy] coder I know those are the worst bugs to file).

On an unrelated note people say to decorate rooms with artifacts. How is that done? How do I say, put a bucket in that room?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14074 on: August 05, 2011, 12:21:17 pm »

By building a well using the bucket.

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14075 on: August 05, 2011, 01:14:32 pm »

Ok littile military question for you. Just got a bunch of new imigrants and decided to recruit them into a spear dwarves squad. i created a littile custom uniform with just training spears in it. The squad list even says 6/10 speardwarves. I've assigned them an armour stand, (my first artifact no less), and they're sparring. But they're doing so with their bare hands, (yes i have training spears in stock and they aren't forbbiden). So why is this happening, any idea's. Also how many hands do spears need, can i send my dorfs in dual weilding them for extra pokey goodness?

Brackev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14076 on: August 05, 2011, 01:15:25 pm »

Is it normal to find gold opals on your first floor? Because I found some in my first soil layer. :p
It's rare, but I'd run with it.
-------

Dinos with hammers, there is no escape.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14077 on: August 05, 2011, 01:18:15 pm »

Ok littile military question for you. Just got a bunch of new imigrants and decided to recruit them into a spear dwarves squad. i created a littile custom uniform with just training spears in it. The squad list even says 6/10 speardwarves. I've assigned them an armour stand, (my first artifact no less), and they're sparring. But they're doing so with their bare hands, (yes i have training spears in stock and they aren't forbbiden). So why is this happening, any idea's. Also how many hands do spears need, can i send my dorfs in dual weilding them for extra pokey goodness?
Try stationing them somewhere and seeing if they're carrying their spears when they get there.

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14078 on: August 05, 2011, 01:29:20 pm »

You mean assign them to an alert burrow as if some enemies had just come and i was going to put them to work going stab stab?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14079 on: August 05, 2011, 02:55:25 pm »

You mean assign them to an alert burrow as if some enemies had just come and i was going to put them to work going stab stab?
it'd be quicker to press "s", then the letter key that corresponds to the squad, then pressing "m" for a "move" or "station" order, and picking any old random place.

alerts and burrows are great for nearly automating your military, but the (s)quads menu gives you finer, on the fly, control.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14080 on: August 05, 2011, 03:19:02 pm »

On an unrelated note people say to decorate rooms with artifacts. How is that done? How do I say, put a bucket in that room?

Well, one way would be to make a one-tile stockpile for that item type that takes only artifact-quality. Then, if necessary, have it "take from" the stockpile that the artifact in question is currently stored in.

Although come to think of it, I'm not sure whether stockpiles can be made in declared rooms. Hurm. You might be able to do it with creative dumping, though.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14081 on: August 05, 2011, 03:30:44 pm »

I'm pretty sure the contents of a stockpile inside a room have no effect on the room's value.

Genesis mod has "potted plant" buildings made out of buckets, but in vanilla DF I think the only building that uses a bucket is the well, as already mentioned.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14082 on: August 05, 2011, 03:36:56 pm »

Although come to think of it, I'm not sure whether stockpiles can be made in declared rooms. Hurm. You might be able to do it with creative dumping, though.

Yes they can, but the use of such is limited. The room won't gain additional value from the stuff in stockpiles.

About artifact decoration in general: The easiest cases are plain furniture - you'll just have to build it in the correct room, nothing more. Weapons aren't hard either, as you can just create a weapon trap for them. Anything that can be used for a building will also work as a part of the building (like the bucket/well example). As far as I know, there's no way to use armor or clothes to increase room value.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14083 on: August 05, 2011, 04:47:14 pm »

They should let us encrust weapon/armour stands with the approppriatte stuff..

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14084 on: August 05, 2011, 04:54:48 pm »

Hrm, okay, so stuff in a stockpile (like artifact bracelets and such) won't increase a room's value, but will they give a dwarf good thoughts if they're in the same room? I'm guessing no, but I'm not sure.
Pages: 1 ... 937 938 [939] 940 941 ... 1178