Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 936 937 [938] 939 940 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127361 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14055 on: August 05, 2011, 02:48:08 am »

How much compatability is there between releases? If I have a fort that I started and played with  in one release, would I be able to copy the save folder to another release?

It depends.  That's about as accurate as you can get.  The next version is going to have a lot of stuff in it, and is likely going to have capatability issues with prior versions.  It depends on what you do with the forts though.  If you don't use new features much, you might not see many issues.  There are almost certainly going to be some issues though.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14056 on: August 05, 2011, 07:11:22 am »

Is there anyway to make the 'rock' on aboveground tiles into soil/mud so you can build a farm plot on top of it?
Building and then deconstructing roads/stairs/walls/etc. will sometimes replace the tiles you've built on with other, random tiles.  Sometimes it's peat (farmable), sometimes it's diorite (not).

If the original above-ground tile is stone, it's probably a Mountain biome.  Soil in a Mountain biome is not farmable.  Your plots in that biome will always say "No seeds available", in every season.

On the other hand, if it's not a Mountain biome, then go for it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14057 on: August 05, 2011, 07:15:24 am »

i have just started a new fort and i forgot which civ's are next to me (if any)
is there a way to check if there are any civ's next to you wen you have already embarkt?
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14058 on: August 05, 2011, 07:25:21 am »

Funny, that was just asked a few ("a few" being subjective) hours ago:

Is there a way to tell which civilizations are able to come to your fort after you've already embarked?  I forgot to check on the embark screen and don't want to play a year in to find out that I don't have any elves or humans to trade with. 

Quick-and-dirty solution - copy the region and abandon the fort. Then you can check it when reclaiming.

I guess there's some better way as well.

And that turned out to be fine:

Always been a fan of the quick and dirty:  worked like a charm.   Thanks.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14059 on: August 05, 2011, 07:28:35 am »

Just a quick check, can you use wooden blocks in the place of logs in all woodcrafting in the same way as you would stone blocks, or is there some things you  need logs for. In fact is there any reason not to turn all of your wood and stone into blocks for easy storage?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14060 on: August 05, 2011, 07:31:25 am »

Blocks can't be used in any form of item crafting (apart from strange moods), so no, I would not recommend turning all your stone and wood to blocks. You can't get their original form back if you do.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 07:35:01 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14061 on: August 05, 2011, 07:35:05 am »

Funny, that was just asked a few ("a few" being subjective) hours ago:

Is there a way to tell which civilizations are able to come to your fort after you've already embarked?  I forgot to check on the embark screen and don't want to play a year in to find out that I don't have any elves or humans to trade with. 

Quick-and-dirty solution - copy the region and abandon the fort. Then you can check it when reclaiming.

I guess there's some better way as well.

And that turned out to be fine:

Always been a fan of the quick and dirty:  worked like a charm.   Thanks.

thx. worked as well.

i seem to be in war with the elfs, can i make peace?
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14062 on: August 05, 2011, 07:40:25 am »

I think not, I'm afraid.

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14063 on: August 05, 2011, 07:56:48 am »

Blocks can't be used in any form of item crafting (apart from strange moods), so no, I would not recommend turning all your stone and wood to blocks. You can't get their original form back if you do.

WHAT!!!

Then why the hell did nobody correct that guy in the "too much stone" thread we had recently that told somone to convert it all to blocks. Okay, true you can probably convert a lot of it to blocks, but still...

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14064 on: August 05, 2011, 07:59:41 am »

Just a quick check, can you use wooden blocks in the place of logs in all woodcrafting in the same way as you would stone blocks, or is there some things you  need logs for. In fact is there any reason not to turn all of your wood and stone into blocks for easy storage?

You can't burn wooden blocks for charcoal or ash, you can't turn wooden blocks into wooden bolts, you can't turn wooden blocks into other wooden furniture, etc.

Your fort probably has a functionally infinite amount of stone, so setting make stone blocks on repeat is a good way to skill up your masons -- you'll still have plenty of stone left, and you can use the blocks for building. Wood, though, wood's precious.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14065 on: August 05, 2011, 08:04:46 am »

You'll probably wind up buildings lots of walls and such, and blocks are better there in terms of value and construction time. And no one told you to make ALL your stone into blocks. Perhaps they should've warned about making flux/ore blocks, though. Can't get those back.

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14066 on: August 05, 2011, 08:10:26 am »

Well i wasn't going to do ore or wood without checking, and i'm drowning in flux, a couple of peices of granite aside it's ALL flux as far as i can tell.

Thanks for the clarification BTW :).

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14067 on: August 05, 2011, 08:12:52 am »

Well, flux is usually plentiful enough to waste a bit (and besides, it's more valuable than most stones so you'll get increased value from wasting it as well!)

And of course, even that isn't an issue if your caravan brings flux or steel and you can afford it.

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14068 on: August 05, 2011, 08:24:39 am »

When i say swimming i mean it's solid flux just about everywhere it's not soil, i've got over 5K dolomite sitting in garbage dump, and i'm only 4 levels deep with my fortress.

MarkedPariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14069 on: August 05, 2011, 09:26:07 am »

Is it normal to find gold opals on your first floor? Because I found some in my first soil layer. :p
Pages: 1 ... 936 937 [938] 939 940 ... 1178