Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 935 936 [937] 938 939 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127349 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14040 on: August 04, 2011, 05:42:07 pm »

1) The "Diagnosis Required" message never disappears. One of the soldiers has been evaluated twelve times already!
2) I used to have almost no thread in my hospital. Then some merchants arrived, so I was gong to trade for thread. To my surprise, when I checked again, I was up to my eyes in thread! Even over the limit that it says in the description of the hospital zone!
1. An inexperienced diagnoser may need several tries to get the right diagnosis. Try waiting it out, or replacing your Medical Noble.
2. What the "Move x to hospital job" is generated, it generated enough jobs to fill every available space in the hospital. Build your coffers 1-2 at a between stockings to get the proper levels of supplies.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14041 on: August 04, 2011, 05:51:54 pm »

Also, for the Stocks screen. Sometimes items are in red. What does that mean? It's only seen when expanding the list to show individual items.
Red items are trade items in the possession of the traders.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dundar

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and kittens = !FUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14042 on: August 04, 2011, 05:59:33 pm »

I got a question about mandates. My baron loves drums but I can't seems to get anyone to fill the production orders. Are drums toys or instruments? Soon he will have three craftdwarves rotting in jail for days on end if I can't figure this out. Without help the noble will begin exploring how deep the magma sea is so I dont have to hear his demands for drums.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14043 on: August 04, 2011, 06:11:34 pm »

Drums are instruments. Just keep cranking them out, and you should get a few drums eventually.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14044 on: August 04, 2011, 06:13:22 pm »

Quick question? I don't know... I've got a similar situation to the leather worker above. I need more miners, so I designated one guy a miner and cleared all his other labor types. He won't mine. I've got picks in inventory somewhere, but I can't find them (my bookkeeper is still working on his precision, I think?). I have two iron picks I traded for and five copper picks I got around to making. He isn't holding a pick, so that seems to be the issue, but... why not? How can I get him to go find his pick?

-Nightwhips

Eh, I figured it out. Low on picks. I just didn't realize that many dwarves were mining.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Dundar

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and kittens = !FUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14045 on: August 04, 2011, 06:22:18 pm »

Ok looks like a noble magma bath if these lazy bearded dwarves dont produce drums, if I let the baron explore the magma sea in a suit of kitten leather will I be able to get another baron? Will the diplomat from the moutain home just ignore that I killed, Sorry had the baron EXPLORE magma for the betterment of dwarven kind?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14046 on: August 04, 2011, 06:38:03 pm »

I think you only get one Baron, unless they have next of kin.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14047 on: August 04, 2011, 07:00:56 pm »

Look on the bright side, chances are good that eventually your baron will switch from "make drums" to "don't export drums."

Probably right after you've traded some, and before the traders leave the screen.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14048 on: August 04, 2011, 07:31:02 pm »

Hey, somebody here can probably answer my questions.

I have several soldiers in the hospital, which isn't a problem in itself. I just have two concerns...
1) The "Diagnosis Required" message never disappears. One of the soldiers has been evaluated twelve times already!
2) I used to have almost no thread in my hospital. Then some merchants arrived, so I was gong to trade for thread. To my surprise, when I checked again, I was up to my eyes in thread! Even over the limit that it says in the description of the hospital zone!

Where did this thread come from, and will my soldiers ever not need to be diagnosed?
Many thanks!   :)

Not sure if this is still the case (well, your experience hint at it being),
but in former versions of DF as soon as a caravan arrived (and your hospital was low on thread),
your dwarves would "confiscate" any thread that the traders brought with them
(AFAIK in contrast to manual "real" confiscations without there being any diplomatic problems being caused by it)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14049 on: August 04, 2011, 07:44:19 pm »

If memory serves not all material types produce drums. I think it might have to be made of metal; you'll have to check up on that though.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14050 on: August 05, 2011, 12:41:47 am »

Is there anyway to make the 'rock' on aboveground tiles into soil/mud so you can build a farm plot on top of it? I like to make nice rectangular farmplots, but with the random bits of rock and stuff in the way...

I hadn't found a way to do that either.  I have been cheating by carving off the top soil layer, and using the soil layer underneat, since you never randomly get stone tiles or boulders that way.  You can get rid of grass, dry murky pool tiles, and things of that nature by building something like a road then deconstructing them away though.

Building and then deconstructing roads/stairs/walls/etc. will sometimes replace the tiles you've built on with other, random tiles.  Sometimes it's peat (farmable), sometimes it's diorite (not).  I haven't been able to figure out a method to what tile is created.  I've even had the same tile transform to different materials at different times in the save.  But take a shot, it may work for you.
At last, she is done.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14051 on: August 05, 2011, 02:10:37 am »

Is there a way to tell which civilizations are able to come to your fort after you've already embarked?  I forgot to check on the embark screen and don't want to play a year in to find out that I don't have any elves or humans to trade with. 
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14052 on: August 05, 2011, 02:15:07 am »

Quick-and-dirty solution - copy the region and abandon the fort. Then you can check it when reclaiming.

I guess there's some better way as well.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14053 on: August 05, 2011, 02:21:16 am »

Always been a fan of the quick and dirty:  worked like a charm.   Thanks.

I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14054 on: August 05, 2011, 02:39:40 am »

How much compatability is there between releases? If I have a fort that I started and played with  in one release, would I be able to copy the save folder to another release?
Pages: 1 ... 935 936 [937] 938 939 ... 1178