Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127301 times)

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14025 on: August 04, 2011, 12:55:09 pm »

Ok another question. I had a dwarf goig into a mood mid way to the table with food in hand. He dropped it right there, but it's gone rotten while he was moodign and now no one seems to want to clean it up. Any tricks for getting this thing out of my fort before the miasma does somthing bad to my dwarfs, (it's right next to my booze stockpile)?

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14026 on: August 04, 2011, 01:09:40 pm »

Is there anyway to make the 'rock' on aboveground tiles into soil/mud so you can build a farm plot on top of it? I like to make nice rectangular farmplots, but with the random bits of rock and stuff in the way...

Nobu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14027 on: August 04, 2011, 01:39:51 pm »

Is there anyway to make the 'rock' on aboveground tiles into soil/mud so you can build a farm plot on top of it? I like to make nice rectangular farmplots, but with the random bits of rock and stuff in the way...

I hadn't found a way to do that either.  I have been cheating by carving off the top soil layer, and using the soil layer underneat, since you never randomly get stone tiles or boulders that way.  You can get rid of grass, dry murky pool tiles, and things of that nature by building something like a road then deconstructing them away though.

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14028 on: August 04, 2011, 02:31:55 pm »

I have a leatherworking shop and a leatherworker but he won't make anything. I can't figure out why. I thought it was a P I had set or the "only allow person X" to use it but removing those didn't fix it. I checked the stocks as well and didn't see anything there either. The worker just goes about his day w/ nojob other than drinking/eating/sleeping. It's been this way for seasons. He use to be fine. Any ideas of other things I can look into. My Dwarfs need pants damnit!

Also, for the Stocks screen. There are two shades of 'F' when looking at items. What is the difference between the greyed out yellow F and the bright yellow F?

Also, for military: the green checkmark like symbol next to the uniform item implies that the user was able to satisfy that item. Right?

Also, for stuff on the ground I have small 1x3 bedrooms. My dwarfs have started leaving junk around "owned by X". Does that mean I can't put cabinets down in the rooms now that the 2 open spaces of the 1x3 have clothing w/o nuking the beds? I can't seem to get them to clean up after themselves.

Also, wells took me like 2 days to figure out how to build. That's not really a problem I thought I'd just mention it. Floodgates and grates are wonderful. So is an infinite internal water supply. =) *stares at all the goblins milling about outside*

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14029 on: August 04, 2011, 02:50:22 pm »

I have a leatherworking shop and a leatherworker but he won't make anything. I can't figure out why. I thought it was a P I had set or the "only allow person X" to use it but removing those didn't fix it. I checked the stocks as well and didn't see anything there either. The worker just goes about his day w/ nojob other than drinking/eating/sleeping. It's been this way for seasons. He use to be fine. Any ideas of other things I can look into. My Dwarfs need pants damnit!

Also, for the Stocks screen. There are two shades of 'F' when looking at items. What is the difference between the greyed out yellow F and the bright yellow F?

Also, for military: the green checkmark like symbol next to the uniform item implies that the user was able to satisfy that item. Right?

Also, for stuff on the ground I have small 1x3 bedrooms. My dwarfs have started leaving junk around "owned by X". Does that mean I can't put cabinets down in the rooms now that the 2 open spaces of the 1x3 have clothing w/o nuking the beds? I can't seem to get them to clean up after themselves.

Also, wells took me like 2 days to figure out how to build. That's not really a problem I thought I'd just mention it. Floodgates and grates are wonderful. So is an infinite internal water supply. =) *stares at all the goblins milling about outside*
First, do you have leather? Second, have you gone into his labor menu and checked that he still has leatherworking enabled? Third, is he in a burrow? Is the material the leatherworking shop made from forbidden?

A bright F means that all of those items are forbidden, while a dull F means only some are forbidden. Same with D for dumped, and H for hidden.

The checkmark means that that dwarf has claimed the piece of equipment beside the checkmark, and will/is wearing it.

You can't build on those tiles without moving the clothes. Try giving them larger rooms, or expanding the rooms into the hallway..

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14030 on: August 04, 2011, 03:11:34 pm »

Ok another question. I had a dwarf goig into a mood mid way to the table with food in hand. He dropped it right there, but it's gone rotten while he was moodign and now no one seems to want to clean it up. Any tricks for getting this thing out of my fort before the miasma does somthing bad to my dwarfs, (it's right next to my booze stockpile)?

If the food is owned by a dwarf, nobody will haul it.  The only way to move it at all would be to construct something on the spot the food is on; then the dwarf doing the construction will move it just barely enough to get it out of the way.  Repeat until it's where you want it.

Or push it along by flooding a whole bunch of water through there.

Or magma.  Always works.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

mlc894

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14031 on: August 04, 2011, 03:16:01 pm »

Hey, somebody here can probably answer my questions.

I have several soldiers in the hospital, which isn't a problem in itself. I just have two concerns...
1) The "Diagnosis Required" message never disappears. One of the soldiers has been evaluated twelve times already!
2) I used to have almost no thread in my hospital. Then some merchants arrived, so I was gong to trade for thread. To my surprise, when I checked again, I was up to my eyes in thread! Even over the limit that it says in the description of the hospital zone!

Where did this thread come from, and will my soldiers ever not need to be diagnosed?
Many thanks!   :)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14032 on: August 04, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »

Is he getting other treatments in between the diagnoses?  I've seen some cases where there's an initial diagnosis, then some cleaning and what-not, then another diagnosis, etc.  I don't know what causes the need for additional diagnoses.  But lucky you -- free diagnosis skill practice!
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

mlc894

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14033 on: August 04, 2011, 03:21:09 pm »

Is he getting other treatments in between the diagnoses?  I've seen some cases where there's an initial diagnosis, then some cleaning and what-not, then another diagnosis, etc.  I don't know what causes the need for additional diagnoses.  But lucky you -- free diagnosis skill practice!
You're right, it is good practice. The answer is no, though, there is no treatment being received in-between the diagnosis, except for the odd treatment every-so-often.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14034 on: August 04, 2011, 03:21:42 pm »

I had one bug where I assigned the cleaning labor kept getting cancelled -- my river was refreezing due to slow lava movement, I think, or it mighv'e been a planepacked-style effect w/the doctor due to burrows -- and the doc just kept constantly rediagnosing.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14035 on: August 04, 2011, 03:46:49 pm »

Nasty situation that crops up a lot.  Consider using DFHack/cleanowned.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14036 on: August 04, 2011, 04:24:42 pm »

Any tricks for getting this thing out of my fort before the miasma does somthing bad to my dwarfs, (it's right next to my booze stockpile)?
You can build walls around it orthogonally so the miasma can't spread, and then designate the tile as low-traffic just to stop anyone wandering through.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

eastc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14037 on: August 04, 2011, 04:25:01 pm »

Spoiler: Original Post (click to show/hide)
First, do you have leather? Second, have you gone into his labor menu and checked that he still has leatherworking enabled? Third, is he in a burrow? Is the material the leatherworking shop made from forbidden?

First, yes. Several bins worth. Second, yes. I've checked and unchecked it to no avail. I've also added/removed the armorer labor even though I think that's only for metalsmithing. Third, he is actually in a burrow although it is a burrow that includes his shop (and it wasn't working before he was in a burrow -- currently under attack by 2 squads of gobs). Some of the leather may have been forbidden. There was quite a lot of it with various colored "F"s. I've unforbade (is that a word) all of it to no effect.

I'd like to send the military all charging out after they get pants (although, I imagine it would be more frightening if they weren't wearing pants but it might be too much goblin fun for the squad to handle). Although, as a goblin, I'd run from a horde of pantless armed dwarfs that were charging me! No good could come of that.

Also, for the Stocks screen. Sometimes items are in red. What does that mean? It's only seen when expanding the list to show individual items.

Also, thanks for the response. =)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 04:30:54 pm by eastc »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14038 on: August 04, 2011, 04:34:09 pm »

I think red items are things you've siezed from caravans.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14039 on: August 04, 2011, 05:41:04 pm »

Quick question? I don't know... I've got a similar situation to the leather worker above. I need more miners, so I designated one guy a miner and cleared all his other labor types. He won't mine. I've got picks in inventory somewhere, but I can't find them (my bookkeeper is still working on his precision, I think?). I have two iron picks I traded for and five copper picks I got around to making. He isn't holding a pick, so that seems to be the issue, but... why not? How can I get him to go find his pick?

-Nightwhips
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 1178