Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127257 times)

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13995 on: August 03, 2011, 04:08:11 pm »

Hi. Just getting started. Can anyone give me a very simple description of how to make multiple saves? It hasn't been obvious to me thus far. Thanks much!

Nightwhips

You can't do it from the game screen. The other way to save the game is to copy the folders and paste it somewhere else.

1. Go to your DF folder.
2. Open the data folder. Open the save folder.
3. Copy the save file you want and the "current" folder.
4. Make a new folder named Backup or whatever you want to name it and put those two save files in there.

When you want to reload an old save just delete or overwrite the current saves with the backups.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:09:52 pm by Omnicast »

Nobu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13996 on: August 03, 2011, 04:09:50 pm »

You can't have multiple forts running at the same time in the same region unless you make a copy of the region and place it in a new folder, but then you've really just made a clone of your world.  Otherwise, if you want to use the same region you played in, you have to abandon the existing fort to "free up" that world.

You can just generate more worlds, then when you start new forts or continue you choose which one to play.  I usually have around ten.

Or did you mean you want multiple save files for one fort?  You can have the game autosave every season and create a new file in your folder each time it does so, giving you fallback points.  It's not enabled by default, though.  It's a setting in d_init.txt which is located in your game folder/data/init   (there's a comment that explains how it works in the file).

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:D_init.txt

I didn't explain that well, sorry if it was confusing.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13997 on: August 03, 2011, 06:28:06 pm »

Do burrows only cover the z-level they're on? I'm trying to find a nice way to have a main "Town" going, but have a little section for the miners, closer to the well, mines. The problem I had, was even when I gave the miner a house and some food upstairs, he would always prefer going to the tavern instead of eating from his house.

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13998 on: August 03, 2011, 07:08:37 pm »

Do burrows only cover the z-level they're on? I'm trying to find a nice way to have a main "Town" going, but have a little section for the miners, closer to the well, mines. The problem I had, was even when I gave the miner a house and some food upstairs, he would always prefer going to the tavern instead of eating from his house.

Burrows can span multiple z-levels, but you do have to actually designate them on each level (i.e. if you designate some shape on z=-1, it will not automatically include those same tiles on all lower z-levels, in case that's what you're asking).

Does the miner's "house" include a dining room designated from a built table? (If not, then he will not be able to eat there.) If you assign the miner to a burrow that does not include the main public dining hall, then he shouldn't eat there and should stick to stuff in his burrow (so you'll need to put some food, booze, and a dining hall in that burrow somewhere).

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13999 on: August 03, 2011, 07:37:22 pm »

Burrows can span multiple z-levels, but you do have to actually designate them on each level (i.e. if you designate some shape on z=-1, it will not automatically include those same tiles on all lower z-levels, in case that's what you're asking).

Does the miner's "house" include a dining room designated from a built table? (If not, then he will not be able to eat there.) If you assign the miner to a burrow that does not include the main public dining hall, then he shouldn't eat there and should stick to stuff in his burrow (so you'll need to put some food, booze, and a dining hall in that burrow somewhere).

Didn't think of just making a second dining hall... that would've probably been the obvious solution. I will have to try that.

I also forget that a burrow isn't the best idea, as it would make mining difficult unless I constantly readjust the burrow to accommodate his mining.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14000 on: August 03, 2011, 08:02:10 pm »

Heya, just repeating my question that got a little lost in the flurry back there.

My combat reports don't seem to list specific names - or, indeed, who was the lucky bastard to shove his axe through the sasquatch that just wandered into my fortress.

Is there any way (short of searching by hand) to find out who dealt the final blow?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14001 on: August 03, 2011, 08:32:22 pm »

Didn't think of just making a second dining hall... that would've probably been the obvious solution. I will have to try that.

I also forget that a burrow isn't the best idea, as it would make mining difficult unless I constantly readjust the burrow to accommodate his mining.

You can, however, assign a burrow to spaces that have not yet been mined out (it won't show up until you DO mine it, but it's there,) and you can also designate burrows in three dimensions. So, if you aren't particular about where he goes below, say, -10, you can just mark the entire map below -10 as a single burrow in one go.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14002 on: August 03, 2011, 08:57:35 pm »

Is there any way (short of searching by hand) to find out who dealt the final blow?
You can cross-reference the sasquatch's combat reports with axedwarves' who were fighting at the time and check any likely candidate's profile for kills, but perhaps that was what you meant by 'searching by hand'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14003 on: August 03, 2011, 11:55:27 pm »

You can cross-reference the sasquatch's combat reports with axedwarves' who were fighting at the time and check any likely candidate's profile for kills, but perhaps that was what you meant by 'searching by hand'.
wouldent it be easier to just look at the unit's kill list?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14004 on: August 04, 2011, 12:38:49 am »

Not entirely - one has to find the unit with the kill.

I meant something like an extension to the combat reports. As they are, the combat reports list if a dwarf gets his skull caved in, but for enemies the report just sort of stops. Annoyingly, all of the dwarves are listed as "the recruit", "the axedwarf" and so on - not "the recruit Urist McClumsy" which would make life much easier.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14005 on: August 04, 2011, 01:03:10 am »

Hmm... what good are trade offerings? I assume they'll cheer up the other merchant, but is there some other benefit for giving stuff to one's homeland or neighbors? Does the game keep track of the value of stuff donated only to make sure the Dwarven Wealth calculations are correct?

I usually tend to give the dwarven caravan some particularly fancy item, just to show off how well-off we are.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14006 on: August 04, 2011, 02:04:25 am »

Not entirely - one has to find the unit with the kill.

I meant something like an extension to the combat reports. As they are, the combat reports list if a dwarf gets his skull caved in, but for enemies the report just sort of stops. Annoyingly, all of the dwarves are listed as "the recruit", "the axedwarf" and so on - not "the recruit Urist McClumsy" which would make life much easier.

Custom profession names? You could rename "axedwarf" into "axedwarf 3/2" for the second soldier in the third squad?
Of course, it can be quite a chore (especially since custom proffession names are bugged in DT, and go away after a few kills...), but it will simplify your military reorganisations.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14007 on: August 04, 2011, 02:58:30 am »

Hmm... what good are trade offerings? I assume they'll cheer up the other merchant, but is there some other benefit for giving stuff to one's homeland or neighbors? Does the game keep track of the value of stuff donated only to make sure the Dwarven Wealth calculations are correct?

I usually tend to give the dwarven caravan some particularly fancy item, just to show off how well-off we are.
no effect, other than giving to the dwarves to become the capitol.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14008 on: August 04, 2011, 03:08:58 am »

Well, I'll keep on giving anyway. Thanks!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14009 on: August 04, 2011, 03:57:43 am »

There's something satisfying in offering their soldier's bloodsoaked uniforms to the humans...
Pages: 1 ... 932 933 [934] 935 936 ... 1178