Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127296 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13980 on: August 03, 2011, 02:06:54 am »

Are caravans working correctly? Before embarking i made sure humans, elves, and dwarves (using a custom race) were nearby but in my second year I haven't seen any of them show up.

Caravans are working properly at least for me, save for the fact they won't bring stuff in wagons. You sure you're not at war with them, or that your mod isn't breaking it?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13981 on: August 03, 2011, 05:21:23 am »

Hello you dwarves out there :)

I'm pretty new to Dwarf Fortress... very nice game.

I have some questions regarding a few smaller problems I stumbled upon (sorry for my weird english *g*)

1st:
Urist McCook got a strange mood and entered a craftsdwarf workshop.
After I [t] the workshop I recognized several items he seems to ask for.
What is the meaning of the symbols [ B ] and TSK in the right information paneel:
Code: [Select]
chert [B]
galena TSK
magneitite TSK
orthocllase TSK
I read the wiki but could not really find an helpful answer. Since I have ALL those rocks listed above I wonder what will be the difference between [ B ] and TSK?

Furthermore he asks for yarn thread. How can I get this? :-\

2nd:
I do not really understand the way a "mass pitting" room is functioning. I read the wiki with the hint to build two rooms and to dig holes in the upper room.
I have to cover those holes with hatches so my dwarves don't get afraid of any beasts down there... allright
I placed the cages around those holes into an animal stockpile... ok
I have to declare an activity zone with status "pit"... ok

What to do next?
Probably it's way toooo simple but I can't get the idea and I'm afraid the prisoners escape.

3rd:
Many images(icons?) of dwarves are blinking from normal colour to black&white and vice versa. What does it mean?

4th:
After I embark my world was nice and beautiful... green grass everywhere...
After 3 years now the whole map is a ugly mess with grass-less paths all around and way too much mud everywhere.
Is there any possibility to get rid of this ugly mud?
I know I can remove mud inside,.... but what about outside?
Why isn't grass growing again or otherwise regenerating?
Removing blood was succesfull with the help of the DFHack tool dfcleanup.exe... thank you :)

5th:
I build a dwarven reactor with 2 water wheels. It is functioning very well so far.
How can I prevent evaporating water because I got often lost of power because of not enough water.
After I ordered my dwarves to fill the "pond" with buckets again it works.... but not for long.
Any help?

6th:
If i dug a very big hall I wondered if it is possible to get a cave in?
Would it be better to keep several pillars? Or is there no danger no matter how large the digged/dug(?) room will be?

Until then I survived half a dozen ambushes, 3 sieges, 1 Titan and 2 forgotten beasts (both can't reach me)... all with minor losses or no losses at all.
I'm very proud of me *g*

Thank you for helping

xelo
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:14:51 am by xelo »
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13982 on: August 03, 2011, 05:34:53 am »

Hello you dwarves out there :)

I'm pretty new to Dwarf Fortress... very nice game.

I have some questions regarding a few smaller problems I stumbled upon (sorry for my weird english *g*)

1st:
Urist McCook got a strange mood and entered a craftsdwarf workshop.
After I [t] the workshop I recognized several items he seems to ask for.
What is the meaning of the symbols and TSK in the right information paneel:
chert [B]
galena TSK
magneitite TSK
orthocllase TSK
I read the wiki but could not really find an helpful answer. Since I have ALL those rocks listed above I wonder what will be the difference between [ B ] and TSK?

Furthermore he asks for yarn thread. How can I get this? :-\

The B is short of "Building material" - that's what the shop's made of. The TSK is short of Task, meaning that the material is being used for something (in this case, crazy mood).

You can get yarn, if I recall correctly, at a farmer's workshop by processing threads.

About mass pitting, if you want to play it safe just build the cages where you want to release the creatures and open them with a lever. Takes a bit of work but is otherwise simple.

About status icons, see if this page describes what you see. It could also be that you have another dwarf in the same tile, in which case the display will cycle between the two at short intervals.

About the cave-ins, even a single pillar will be enough to hold up your meeting hall. The gravity is very naïve. Of course, you *can* get a cave-in if you accidentally disconnect a piece of floor from the supporting pillar altogether, but if you have a large hall, you're unlikely to do that unless you're doing it on purpose.

I'll leave the rest of the questions for others to answer.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:42:04 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13983 on: August 03, 2011, 05:52:16 am »

Geez, my little fortress worked up fine until the elven caravan got swamped by an ambush. There were many things littering around and I claimed some of them. Biggest problem is apparel. It was stored in my stockpile until it was full. I tried to sell stuff and could only access some of it. Tried with another caravan and it didn't work. The stuff in that stockpile is as if it was forbidden, which I didn't. I deleted the stockpile, made a new one, marked the items for dump, de-dumped, forbid and de-forbid them: The dorfs won't touch it.

I noticed items to be ignored when they were lying around where somone died - but not once they were brought intop a stockpile.
Is there a strategy to effectively handle the masses of apparel that drop when someone dies? Get rid of this excess?
I think it's just too much stuff. Can it be disabled altogether on everyone, including goblins and the like?

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13984 on: August 03, 2011, 06:07:47 am »

About status icons, see if this page describes what you see. It could also be that you have another dwarf in the same tile, in which case the display will cycle between the two at short intervals.
Great... this page is very helpful. Those dwarves are already legendary :D

Thank you very much

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13985 on: August 03, 2011, 07:58:20 am »

yarn is from a farmer's workshop, and then a loom.  (q)uerry the building, (a)dd the task of (s)hearing if you need to shear some animals, then (S)pin the yarn into thread.  standing (o)rders on the main menu are to spin all thread into cloth.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13986 on: August 03, 2011, 08:15:00 am »

Are caravans working correctly? Before embarking i made sure humans, elves, and dwarves (using a custom race) were nearby but in my second year I haven't seen any of them show up.

Are you sure they arenīt extinct?
In  my game I also always get signs for "humans available" in the embark screen,
but from all I know about the history of my world, humans went extinct very early in history,
which explains, why I never get any human caravans. 

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13987 on: August 03, 2011, 09:07:29 am »

Caravans from races besides your own don't start showing up until your second year.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13988 on: August 03, 2011, 09:19:25 am »

yarn is from a farmer's workshop, and then a loom.  (q)uerry the building, (a)dd the task of (s)hearing if you need to shear some animals, then (S)pin the yarn into thread.  standing (o)rders on the main menu are to spin all thread into cloth.
I see... I have to re-configure my standing orders. Thank you soo much :)

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13989 on: August 03, 2011, 09:42:53 am »

I really should know this by now...

My combat reports don't seem to list specific names - or, indeed, who was the lucky bastard to shove his axe through the sasquatch that just wandered into my fortress.

Is there any way (short of searching by hand) to find out who dealt the final blow?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13990 on: August 03, 2011, 10:05:43 am »

Caravans are working properly at least for me, save for the fact they won't bring stuff in wagons. You sure you're not at war with them, or that your mod isn't breaking it?

I, more or less, just copy/pasted the whole dwarf code and tweaked the bits for me so I don't think I should've broke anything. I know I wasn't at war with them and got as far as my third or fourth year, without a sign of any caravan except the home civilization.

The only thing I could think of, is that perhaps since I set worldgen to only gen up to 5 years of history, that by the time the 2nd year rolled around all three neighboring civs had died out or something... I ended up abandoning the place, since without those caravans I simply couldn't get enough wood to build my town.

Nobu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13991 on: August 03, 2011, 10:09:20 am »

If you set the number of years that low, they may not have many settlements, or any nearby.  Distance to the nearest settlement has been theorized to be a factor in how early they can show up to attack in some cases.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13992 on: August 03, 2011, 10:50:54 am »

4th:
Is there any possibility to get rid of this ugly mud?
I know I can remove mud inside,.... but what about outside?
Why isn't grass growing again or otherwise regenerating?
Grass on a mountain biome won't regrow at all. Mud can be removed by building a bridge or floor over the offending tiles.

5th:
I build a dwarven reactor with 2 water wheels. It is functioning very well so far.
How can I prevent evaporating water because I got often lost of power because of not enough water.
After I ordered my dwarves to fill the "pond" with buckets again it works.... but not for long.
More water? Use multiple pond zones over the tile that the pump draws from, if you're not already. I know that a one-wheel reactor can be filled to the brim and still function, but I'm not sure about the two-wheel model.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13993 on: August 03, 2011, 12:11:50 pm »

Geez, my little fortress worked up fine until the elven caravan got swamped by an ambush. There were many things littering around and I claimed some of them. Biggest problem is apparel. It was stored in my stockpile until it was full. I tried to sell stuff and could only access some of it. Tried with another caravan and it didn't work. The stuff in that stockpile is as if it was forbidden, which I didn't. I deleted the stockpile, made a new one, marked the items for dump, de-dumped, forbid and de-forbid them: The dorfs won't touch it.

I noticed items to be ignored when they were lying around where somone died - but not once they were brought intop a stockpile.
Is there a strategy to effectively handle the masses of apparel that drop when someone dies? Get rid of this excess?
I think it's just too much stuff. Can it be disabled altogether on everyone, including goblins and the like?

I'm betting your dwarfs claimed the clothing items. Once something is owned by a dwarf, no other dwarf will touch it.

Do your dwarves have bedrooms? Give them chests and coffers, and they'll start putting away their claimed clothes.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13994 on: August 03, 2011, 03:56:39 pm »

Hi. Just getting started. Can anyone give me a very simple description of how to make multiple saves? It hasn't been obvious to me thus far. Thanks much!

Nightwhips
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.
Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 1178