Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127117 times)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: Danger rooms are dangerous!
« Reply #13950 on: July 31, 2011, 10:17:19 pm »

I'm creating danger rooms which are barracks, and using 10 wooden TRAINING spears (and yes I have confirmed, more than once, that they are training spears that were used), I assign a squad or two, and some of them die, often within a minute or two.

What do you mean by "ten training spears"? Is that ten total in the whole room, or ten in each trap? If it's the latter, you're increasing the damage the trap causes, which may be the problem. I put one wooden spear in each of my traps, and it seems to work fine. Although it it still possible for a dwarf to get skewered. And beware of pets/children wandering in as well. It's safer to put the danger room behind an always-closed/not-locked door.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

MarkedPariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13951 on: July 31, 2011, 10:57:03 pm »

Hey I'm new to this game just played for 5 hours on 1st playthrough and when ibwent back to load up my saved game it didn't exist. Why isn't there a save file in the data folder in the legacy zip folder for windows? Help would be appreciated because I don't want to restart from scratch everytime.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13952 on: July 31, 2011, 11:06:30 pm »

Hey I'm new to this game just played for 5 hours on 1st playthrough and when ibwent back to load up my saved game it didn't exist. Why isn't there a save file in the data folder in the legacy zip folder for windows? Help would be appreciated because I don't want to restart from scratch everytime.
I assume that you must unzip the folder first.

Nataru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13953 on: August 01, 2011, 12:33:11 am »

Why doesn't this game come with a tutorial?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13954 on: August 01, 2011, 02:07:16 am »

One of the things affecting the lethality of training spears is quality.  Are these no-quality spears?

Should have it taken care of already, but there are some areas that cannot be protected by metal or leather armor-- notably for danger rooms, the throat.  Bruising of parts through armor is fine; significant damage to the throat, on the other hand, can be lethal.  A single robe can pretty much reduce the risk of death to throat injury from no-quality training spear to nothing.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

MarkedPariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13955 on: August 01, 2011, 02:18:31 am »

I assume that you must unzip the folder first.
I did save it to my computer is that indulging the dismiss file? I also did extract files and put everything in a folder instead. Will that fix it? Btw is it common for the ge to not come with a folder marked save? I manually created one in the data folder.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13956 on: August 01, 2011, 02:26:11 am »

Nope this isnīt normal.
Normally a save folder should get created automatically as soon as you create your first world.
And it should conatin a subfolder named region1 that contains a lot of .dat-files
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:28:02 am by Proteus »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13957 on: August 01, 2011, 03:12:23 am »

Multiple reasons, primarily that it's not done yet, and the tutorial would have to be redone for every new release, or which there are many.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13958 on: August 01, 2011, 03:23:46 am »

The game's still in the pretty early alpha stages of development. Most games aren't even playable at all in this point, must less as playable as DF is.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13959 on: August 01, 2011, 04:50:32 am »

The best resource for useful help in this game is (and surely will remain) the DF-Wiki:
http://df.magmawiki.com/

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13960 on: August 01, 2011, 05:21:04 am »

Or, you know, head on over to the tutorial thread right here.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13961 on: August 01, 2011, 05:44:17 am »

I'd say the best reason for DF not having a tutorial is that there already are plenty of user-made tutorials and guides. It's not optimal for Toady to spend time simply to make them all redundant.

Besides, I don't even think a traditional step-by-step tutorial is the best way to learn DF. It may help one get past the first difficulties like workshops and designations faster, but after the very beginning, I think a topic-based help system (DF Wiki) is much better. You get a Fortress started and you want a well. You don't have to watch a tutorial for 30 minutes simply because you want to know how the well works. Just check the Wiki.

And then, a question!

My Mayor, Urist McStupidMayor, has just mandated the production of giant cave spider silk goods. I've just breached the caverns (very carefully, of course) but I don't have a military capable of surviving the horrors that may lurk inside. I don't know how I could conjure up giant cave spider silk in time to produce anything, unless the dwarf caravan brings some. If I can't find silk, what would you recommend - should I teach my Mayor the joy of gravity or allow one of my clothiers to be imprisoned?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 09:47:24 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13962 on: August 01, 2011, 10:45:45 am »

And then, a question!

My Mayor, Urist McStupidMayor, has just mandated the production of giant cave spider silk goods. I've just breached the caverns (very carefully, of course) but I don't have a military capable of surviving the horrors that may lurk inside. I don't know how I could conjure up giant cave spider silk in time to produce anything, unless the dwarf caravan brings some. If I can't find silk, what would you recommend - should I teach my Mayor the joy of gravity or allow one of my clothiers to be imprisoned?

You'll be OK letting a clothier be imprisoned.  It probably won't be for more than a couple seasons, which isn't that long, and as long as someone brings them food and drink, they'll be fine.

My question:

I have an exposed magma pipe on Cavern 1 which I'm currently using as my forge (that is, my forging zone is capping the tube.  I also want to make a magma flood trap at my entrance. If I were to pump magma from the tube up to the surface, would it come back such that I could use my forge after a while?  Now that I write this, I'm considering relocating my forge, but my question stands.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13963 on: August 01, 2011, 11:00:04 am »

Yep, magma pipes refill over time. Of course, you could pump a small pool for your forge somewhere else as well - magma forges don't consume any, I think.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13964 on: August 01, 2011, 12:19:26 pm »

Small question re: stockpiles --

I notice that handwear, footwear, etc., can end up in both finished goods and armor stockpiles. Is that two stockpile settings for the same thing, or are two different subtypes going to two different places?
Pages: 1 ... 929 930 [931] 932 933 ... 1178