Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 928 929 [930] 931 932 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127188 times)

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13935 on: July 31, 2011, 08:44:58 pm »

Is there any way to get rid of a siege using Runesmith or DfHack? I used Runesmith to get rid of the trolls in the siege force, but now even though the goblins left it still says I'm under siege.

If all the invaders are dead, I think you have to remove their siege-related tags.

Actually, I'm not sure if they're dead or even left. I checked the surface to see if the river in my map was still frozen (some were standing up on top) and whether they could still escape (In seasons other than winter its impossible to get out or in of my wall around the fort when I have my bridges up). They weren't there, and I couldn't find them on the unit list, so I guess they left. I tried deleting all the invading goblins in my cages but I'm still under siege.
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

Nataru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13936 on: July 31, 2011, 08:47:35 pm »

Also, how do you change what you want to plant when you press q and go on a farm patch? A tutorial I'm using says ALT+and arrow key but that doesn't work.
That depends on the keybindings that your copy of the game is using. With the standard keybindings and a QWERTY keyboard, use the - and + keys near your number pad to go up and down the list.
Oh awesome! Thanks!

Nataru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13937 on: July 31, 2011, 08:56:04 pm »

I can't find it on the wiki... The symbol for it looks kinda like this but green:
\ | /
  O
/ | \

Nataru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13938 on: July 31, 2011, 09:00:47 pm »

Also, how to make mineshaft? (yes I'm noob)

eugene

• Bay Watcher
  • careful with that axe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13939 on: July 31, 2011, 09:22:27 pm »

I can't find it on the wiki... The symbol for it looks kinda like this but green:
\ | /
  O
/ | \

Do you mean this?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Aventurine

It is a raw gem. It can be cut at a jewelers workshop and then you can encrust furniture and finished goods with it, increasing the value.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger rooms are dangerous!
« Reply #13940 on: July 31, 2011, 09:23:02 pm »

This has been talked about before, and I just assumed that I was unlucky, but its still happening...

I'm creating danger rooms which are barracks, and using 10 wooden TRAINING spears (and yes I have confirmed, more than once, that they are training spears that were used), I assign a squad or two, and some of them die, often within a minute or two.

At first I thought it was because the spears were hitting them in non-armoured places. So I wouldn't send a squad in until I confirmed that they were fully equipped. But they still die. I checked the combat report for one, at it hit them through a piece of steel armour!

I even tried making lots of training spears and just choosing the ones that sound like soft wood (like Fungiwood etc...). No change.

What am I doing wrong? Or are my dwarves just too drunk to dodge training spears?

eugene

• Bay Watcher
  • careful with that axe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13941 on: July 31, 2011, 09:31:01 pm »

Also, how to make mineshaft? (yes I'm noob)

If you want to dig up or down you can dig out a stairway. d-i . They need to be on top of each other.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13942 on: July 31, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »

I haven't tried using danger rooms myself, but do they have clothing on under their armor?  If not it could be the lack of any kind of padding killing them.   The training spears can't penetrate your armor but the force is still going into the dwarf through his armor.  Though it is likely spread out quite a bit, without something soft under the armor to absorb the blow they may still be taking the hit full force.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13943 on: July 31, 2011, 09:43:04 pm »

I haven't tried using danger rooms myself, but do they have clothing on under their armor?  If not it could be the lack of any kind of padding killing them.   The training spears can't penetrate your armor but the force is still going into the dwarf through his armor.  Though it is likely spread out quite a bit, without something soft under the armor to absorb the blow they may still be taking the hit full force.

Ok, Thanks. I always choose the "replace clothing" option when I set up my armour... I'll try a new armour set with it going over clothing and see what happens...

eugene

• Bay Watcher
  • careful with that axe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13944 on: July 31, 2011, 09:45:21 pm »

Does weapon quality affect armor penetration?

Nataru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13945 on: July 31, 2011, 09:55:40 pm »

How do you/can you pick up things a dwarf has mined, cut, or other action? Examples: Rough adventurines/Adventurine cavern floor (assuming ots an ore) or Chestnut logs

b->W->Jeweler->cut
What do wall grates have to do with it? That's where b->W-> sends me

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13946 on: July 31, 2011, 09:58:01 pm »

I wondered about that too - my carpenter is always at a very high level when they make the spears.
Is there a way of seeing their quality either before (at selection) or after they are placed in the spear trap?

eugene

• Bay Watcher
  • careful with that axe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13947 on: July 31, 2011, 09:59:59 pm »

How do you/can you pick up things a dwarf has mined, cut, or other action? Examples: Rough adventurines/Adventurine cavern floor (assuming ots an ore) or Chestnut logs

b->W->Jeweler->cut
What do wall grates have to do with it? That's where b->W-> sends me

That was most likely meant to be b-w-j. You will need a dwarf with the Jeweler labor enabled to build the workshop (v-p-l).

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13948 on: July 31, 2011, 10:00:49 pm »

Ok, Thanks. I always choose the "replace clothing" option when I set up my armour... I'll try a new armour set with it going over clothing and see what happens...

I tend to specify a leather/cloth under layer in my armor setups for exactly this purpose. Blunt attacks (maces and hammers) go through rigid metal armor, but soft leather/cloth padding dampens this force significantly. Metal armor is important to deflect slashing/piercing attacks, and tends to cause many attacks to "glance away."

eugene

• Bay Watcher
  • careful with that axe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13949 on: July 31, 2011, 10:02:55 pm »

I wondered about that too - my carpenter is always at a very high level when they make the spears.
Is there a way of seeing their quality either before (at selection) or after they are placed in the spear trap?

At selection you can press x to see the each items quality level.
Pages: 1 ... 928 929 [930] 931 932 ... 1178