Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127197 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13920 on: July 31, 2011, 08:38:27 am »

No.  Windows block pathing, so nothing will try to shoot through them, even if they can see a target on the other side.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #13921 on: July 31, 2011, 09:22:16 am »

Pathing only matters with natural ranged special abilities no? I've seen plenty of examples of dwarves shooting at creatures through fortifications that they could not path to and fortification also block pathing don't they? What about a archery target, would dwarves attempt to shoot at that through a window?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13922 on: July 31, 2011, 10:16:59 am »

Dwarves won't shoot at an archery target through a window, or through fortifications, or over a gap in the floor.  They need a clear path of open walkable floor between themselves and the archery target before they'll shoot at it.

They will shoot at enemies across gaps in the floor, or through fortifications, but they'll never even attempt to shoot through a window.  This has been extensively tested.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #13923 on: July 31, 2011, 10:27:14 am »

Kay, thanks.

LittleQuick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13924 on: July 31, 2011, 02:09:51 pm »

If you change a dwarves profession, lets say, from a farmer to being forced into the military as a hammer dwarf, will his personality change gradually?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13925 on: July 31, 2011, 02:19:57 pm »

Personalities are immutable and set at birth.  Attributes, both physical and mental (mental attributes being stuff like focus, kinesthetic sense, etc), will change though.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13926 on: July 31, 2011, 03:24:22 pm »

They will grow more and more tolerant to death and violence the more they experience it, though, will will lessen the bad thoughts from the consequences of battle they'll undoubtedly experience.. Don't be surprised if your veterans end up being a bunch of cold-hearted bastards not giving a damn about anything..
Love, scriver~

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13927 on: July 31, 2011, 05:37:24 pm »

Is there any way to get rid of a siege using Runesmith or DfHack? I used Runesmith to get rid of the trolls in the siege force, but now even though the goblins left it still says I'm under siege.
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

Nataru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13928 on: July 31, 2011, 07:21:41 pm »

How do you/can you pick up things a dwarf has mined, cut, or other action? Examples: Rough adventurines/Adventurine cavern floor (assuming ots an ore) or Chestnut logs

Nataru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13929 on: July 31, 2011, 07:31:13 pm »

Also, how do you change what you want to plant when you press q and go on a farm patch? A tutorial I'm using says ALT+and arrow key but that doesn't work.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13930 on: July 31, 2011, 07:44:55 pm »

How do you/can you pick up things a dwarf has mined, cut, or other action? Examples: Rough adventurines/Adventurine cavern floor (assuming ots an ore) or Chestnut logs

b->W->Jeweler->cut
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13931 on: July 31, 2011, 08:14:21 pm »

And/or define stockpiles for the things mined out (like rough jewels, metal ores and/or stones)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13932 on: July 31, 2011, 08:27:30 pm »

Is there any way to get rid of a siege using Runesmith or DfHack? I used Runesmith to get rid of the trolls in the siege force, but now even though the goblins left it still says I'm under siege.

If all the invaders are dead, I think you have to remove their siege-related tags.

Giving them breathing problems usually works to kill them properly.
Didn't do anything when I tried it.

Try just turning off the "Currently Invading" flag. If you've already killed them and want to remove the siege flag, Show Dead, then remove the Currently Invading flags from all members of the siege. I think.

edit: Then turn off Active Invader to get them to flee.

That seems the be the last suggestion, but I haven't tried it.

Also, how do you change what you want to plant when you press q and go on a farm patch? A tutorial I'm using says ALT+and arrow key but that doesn't work.
That depends on the keybindings that your copy of the game is using. With the standard keybindings and a QWERTY keyboard, use the - and + keys near your number pad to go up and down the list.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Nataru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13933 on: July 31, 2011, 08:34:03 pm »

Also, what is adventurine for anyways?

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13934 on: July 31, 2011, 08:36:19 pm »

Not sure. Try searching for it on the wiki: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page  They've got all the standard materials listed in there. You can also look up what kind of material it is (gem, ore, stone, etc) and that'll tell you who can use it and what it can be used for.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.
Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 1178