Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 925 926 [927] 928 929 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127172 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13890 on: July 29, 2011, 04:09:48 pm »

Hey.  First post.  First fortress.  I'm thinkin' I'm about to have some fun, you dig.

Ok, it's mid Autumn in a somewhat mountain-y biome, which means that all the water is ice.

My little band of dwarves are nearing the end of their water supply.  My (too small) plot o underground stuff isn't producing very well, which means my brewery will be finished soon as well.  No water to make more mud.  I tried mining ice to get water from it, but after looking at the wiki, I see that there's no real way to do that.

Should I just let the fun begin (there are so many more fun ways to have fun than by thirst...oy) or are there other things I can do?  When a caravan came through, I didn't see water as an item to buy.  Of course, I'm such a newbie I could have just missed it...

Whaddya think?  Is there any way I can get some liquid refreshment?  Me don't think that they will survive the winter, and maybe not even the fall if I can't think of something...

thank ye,

Mezz
You can't buy water from caravans, but you can buy liquor. Dwarves prefer booze over water, anyway.

If you really want/need to find water, try digging downwards to see if you have any caves with water in them below your fort.
Love, scriver~

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13891 on: July 29, 2011, 04:14:45 pm »

What if I were to pump water into a body of water that flows off the map? Each of the connecting tiles would be at 7/7, could the water be pumped straight off the map?

The water will be unlikely to stay at 7/7 close to the edge, but yes it will teleport to that general area and flow off.  If you somehow managed to get all 7/7 deep water all the way to the map edge, the pump probably wouldn't move any water for the split second it will take for the outlet side body of water to realize it should be flowing offmap.

Basically the pump probably doesn't see the map edge, if you somehow hacked in a perpetually 7/7 route to the edge the pump probably wouldn't function.  But water itself will see the edge and flow off, creating an area of non 7/7 water that the pump can see and teleport fluid to under normal circumstances..
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13892 on: July 29, 2011, 04:50:20 pm »

Just to check, you need a bonecarver to make bone armor, right?  I either missed it somewhere on the wiki, or it doesn't actually explicitly say that.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13893 on: July 29, 2011, 04:53:37 pm »

Yea pretty sure.  Should be makeable in the craftsshop.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13894 on: July 29, 2011, 05:10:42 pm »

Thanks, that's what I figured.  I enabled bone carving on a bunch of useless idlers and they went on not making any armor (with plenty of bone around).  By the time one decided to give it a go, I had given them all conceivable skills, so in the end I didn't know which skill was the right one.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13895 on: July 29, 2011, 05:45:49 pm »

What happens if a building destroyer comes upon an open door/hatch/floodgate in its path?  Like, opened with a lever.  Will it try to destroy the building?  Will it succeed?

Not 100% sure, but AFAIK (at least in past versions) building destroyers would use the same pathing algorithm that normal creatures use.
This means, if a path to your fortress is blocked (by a closed door for example), they will try to find another path (or don´t move at all) and won´t try to force their entry by destroying the closed door
(Maybe different if they, by chance, get near the door)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13896 on: July 29, 2011, 05:55:36 pm »

Yea but I think level 2 destroyers (which is a difference viewable only in raw files)will actively path to whatever can be destroyed while level 1 destroyers will only destroy what is in their way. 

If the level 1 destroyer decided on a path they will use that paths through a door before that door was locked they will destroy it when they come to it.  But if the door was locked before they decided on a path, they will ignore it.   

A building destroyer level 2 will just smash everything they can for the hell of it regardless and probably just smash what's blocking their path farther in out of dumb luck eventually.

But yea, that's just what I recall from previous versions, probably still true though.

LittleQuick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13897 on: July 29, 2011, 06:01:54 pm »

I just broke into a cavern beneath my fortress, and it's my first time.
What do should I expect in this thing? I've been kind of worried about it, double locked doors, and a rag tag squad of people I forced to be soldiers checked it out enough so a Miner could build a stairway into it, but other than that I haven't really considered going into it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13898 on: July 29, 2011, 06:10:48 pm »

Should I just let the fun begin (there are so many more fun ways to have fun than by thirst...oy) or are there other things I can do?
What's your other biome? There might be some plants to collect, even if they are hidden under the snow. (d) (p) over the whole non-mountain area, and see how many tiles are highlighted. If you're lucky you have someone with plant collecting  / herbalism, though because of the way migrants work they might not have the job enabled. Dwarf Therapist makes checking this much easier, I don't know if you have it or not.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

LittleQuick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13899 on: July 29, 2011, 06:14:34 pm »

What is the difference between a Shield, and a Buckler?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13900 on: July 29, 2011, 06:18:20 pm »

What do should I expect in this thing? I've been kind of worried about it, double locked doors, and a rag tag squad of people I forced to be soldiers checked it out enough so a Miner could build a stairway into it, but other than that I haven't really considered going into it.

You don't have too much to worry about right when you break in.  The caverns get tougher the deeper you go down.  Be ready for some wild animals that tend to be tougher than you find on the surface.  You may have a building destroyer or two wander in, so relying solely on locked doors isn't a good idea.  Drawbridges tend to hold up a bit better.

Of course, things will, eventually, get very FUN.  Be ready for some very tough uninvited guests to show up periodically.
At last, she is done.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13901 on: July 29, 2011, 06:19:36 pm »

You don't have too much to worry about right when you break in.  The caverns get tougher the deeper you go down.  Be ready for some wild animals that tend to be tougher than you find on the surface.  You may have a building destroyer or two wander in, so relying solely on locked doors isn't a good idea.  Drawbridges tend to hold up a bit better.

Of course, things will, eventually, get very FUN.  Be ready for some very tough uninvited guests to show up periodically.

like forgotten beast.
a hint would be to open up all three caves, then close them from the shaft. so, beasts might appear at the first, second or THIRD cavern layer.
otherwise i suppose they spawn only at the cavern layer you have discovered. (need confirmation on this)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

LittleQuick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13902 on: July 29, 2011, 06:27:29 pm »

like forgotten beast.
a hint would be to open up all three caves, then close them from the shaft. so, beasts might appear at the first, second or THIRD cavern layer.
otherwise i suppose they spawn only at the cavern layer you have discovered. (need confirmation on this)
Thanks for the big advice! I am planning on building a bridge but my new question is, the larger creatures (Forgotten beast, etc.), if they're on a retracting bridge will it not move because of their weight?
-- I planned on making a retracting bridge that would open up to a pit in the floor with traps.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13903 on: July 29, 2011, 06:53:30 pm »

-- I planned on making a retracting bridge that would open up to a pit in the floor with traps.

A bridge will not retract if any creature with a size greater than 1,200,000 is standing on it.  This includes all forgotten beasts, titans, and demons, as well as many of the larger normal animals.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13904 on: July 29, 2011, 06:54:58 pm »

What is the difference between a Shield, and a Buckler?

A shield is a large item held in the hand. A buckler is smaller and strapped to the wrist.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 925 926 [927] 928 929 ... 1178