Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1127177 times)

plasticboy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13875 on: July 29, 2011, 07:13:35 am »

Is there an easy way to determine the number of available (unfilled) bins, barrels, and/or pots I have? Since running out of barrels and pots often halts my drink production I'd like a way to know when to craft more.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13876 on: July 29, 2011, 08:11:29 am »

Personally, I simply take a look at how many barrels/bins/pots there is in my furniture stockpiles. When I there's few, I order 30 new made. There's probably some better and more efficient/clear way of checking it that somebody else here can show you, but this has been enough for me throughout my DF-playing years.
Love, scriver~

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13877 on: July 29, 2011, 12:49:26 pm »

Is there an easy way to determine the number of available (unfilled) bins, barrels, and/or pots I have? Since running out of barrels and pots often halts my drink production I'd like a way to know when to craft more.
No way that I know of, but a solution is to go to your drinks stockpile and set it to reserve barrels.

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13878 on: July 29, 2011, 01:30:37 pm »

Will fluids pass through closed hatches?
I think I got a wonderful idea but I need to do some "Vertical flood gate"
Is a Hatch this tool?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13879 on: July 29, 2011, 01:32:11 pm »

Yes.
At last, she is done.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13880 on: July 29, 2011, 01:50:20 pm »

Will fluids pass through closed hatches?
I think I got a wonderful idea but I need to do some "Vertical flood gate"
Is a Hatch this tool?
Floor hatches will block fluid from passing from one Z-level to another when closed, so in that way they can be used as a gate to control the flow of fluid.  They do not block fluid from flowing across them on the same Z-level.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

KoSiNeK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13881 on: July 29, 2011, 02:02:04 pm »

some of my cats  and yaks died of starvation. i was like "ok, natural selection or something" but i wanted to butcher dead animal at my butcher thingy. Unfortunately i always recive message that there is no dead animals arround to butcher/extract/anything.
So my question is:

What i have to do butcher/extract from my starved cats/yaks?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13882 on: July 29, 2011, 02:11:00 pm »

No dice.  You can't butcher tame animals that have starved to death.  I'm not sure if that's intended behavior or not, but it kind of makes sense that you can't get much meat from an animal that's starved to death.  Doesn't make as much sense for the bones, though.
At last, she is done.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13883 on: July 29, 2011, 02:14:38 pm »

Cats don't need to eat, so they shouldn't have starved.

Anyway, tame animals which die from any cause other than being deliberately slaughtered by a butcher at a butcher's shop can never be butchered.  You can't use their corpses for anything, not even if they rot away to skeletons.  It's not that they starved, that's irrelevant, it's just that the corpses of tame animals can't be butchered.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

KoSiNeK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13884 on: July 29, 2011, 02:23:59 pm »

Oh didnt know that. Thanks!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13885 on: July 29, 2011, 03:06:43 pm »

What happens if a screw pump tries to pump water into a tile that already was water in it?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13886 on: July 29, 2011, 03:14:50 pm »

What happens if a screw pump tries to pump water into a tile that already was water in it?

If the tile is less than 7/7 full, the screw pump will transport as much water from the source as is required to make it 7/7.

If it is at 7/7 and there is a path through 7/7 deep water from the output to some tile on the same or lower Z-level that has less than 7/7 deep water, then water will be transported from the inlet side of the pump to the open tiles.  Basically, water gets teleported cleanly through continuous 7/7 water tiles.

If the tile is at 7/7 water, and there are no open spaces that can be reached by pathing through 7/7 deep water (that is, there's nowhere for water to go on the outlet side of the pump), then nothing at all will happen.  Water will not vanish from the inlet side of the pump.  The pump will not be damaged, and will consume exactly as much mechanical power as it would if it were pumping water.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13887 on: July 29, 2011, 03:53:55 pm »

What if I were to pump water into a body of water that flows off the map? Each of the connecting tiles would be at 7/7, could the water be pumped straight off the map?

Mezz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13888 on: July 29, 2011, 04:01:39 pm »

Hey.  First post.  First fortress.  I'm thinkin' I'm about to have some fun, you dig.

Ok, it's mid Autumn in a somewhat mountain-y biome, which means that all the water is ice.

My little band of dwarves are nearing the end of their water supply.  My (too small) plot o underground stuff isn't producing very well, which means my brewery will be finished soon as well.  No water to make more mud.  I tried mining ice to get water from it, but after looking at the wiki, I see that there's no real way to do that.

Should I just let the fun begin (there are so many more fun ways to have fun than by thirst...oy) or are there other things I can do?  When a caravan came through, I didn't see water as an item to buy.  Of course, I'm such a newbie I could have just missed it...

Whaddya think?  Is there any way I can get some liquid refreshment?  Me don't think that they will survive the winter, and maybe not even the fall if I can't think of something...

thank ye,

Mezz

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13889 on: July 29, 2011, 04:07:52 pm »

What happens if a building destroyer comes upon an open door/hatch/floodgate in its path?  Like, opened with a lever.  Will it try to destroy the building?  Will it succeed?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 1178