Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 920 921 [922] 923 924 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126979 times)

Yuzuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13815 on: July 26, 2011, 05:22:05 am »

Maybe it is outside of your fortress?

~ Exactly as you said it's an outdoor stockpile ..
Problem solved as I move it in my fortress ~

Thanks ! ;D

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13816 on: July 26, 2011, 06:57:06 am »

To butcher an animal , you have to tame it first.
Tame at kennels using animal trainer, then turn on butchery in the z-->a screen

To slaughter an animal, you have to tame it first.  To butcher a wild animal corpse, you have to kill it first.  Slaughtering is nigh-instantaneous, once the animal has been led to the butcher's shop.  Butchering a corpse takes a great deal of time, particularly for larger ones.  So, it's a trade-off against the time and food spent taming the animal.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13817 on: July 26, 2011, 08:34:08 am »

How can I get rid of a dwarf that cannot grasp at things?

I have a dwarf that lost her left hand in a fight, and damaged her right arm bad. Now she's spamming me with job cancel messages: "cancels pick up equipment: too injured."

I've removed all her job assignments. I tried assigning her to a non-uniform squad stationed inside a magma-room, but she won't budge and starts spamming me even faster about the equipment.

Help me, forumites, help! This is a first fort getting ripped apart for text spam.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13818 on: July 26, 2011, 08:52:16 am »

It sounds like it wasn't a uniform free squad, to be honest. But, anyway, you could assign her to a burrow in the magma room and she'll eventually make her way down there. It'll go faster if you make it a meeting zone or give her any other reason to get down there besides the burrow.
Love, scriver~

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13819 on: July 26, 2011, 09:08:58 am »

It sounds like it wasn't a uniform free squad, to be honest. But, anyway, you could assign her to a burrow in the magma room and she'll eventually make her way down there. It'll go faster if you make it a meeting zone or give her any other reason to get down there besides the burrow.

*Sound of magma flushing*

Ah, burrows.. why didn't I think of that. Thanks.

And no, there was no uniform.. maybe the dwarf was attached to a certain piece or something.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13820 on: July 26, 2011, 09:17:10 am »

Or perhaps she was still armoured from earlier, and needed hands to unequip that armour? This would need further investigation.

Also, I wonder if magma flushes the other way in Australia.
Love, scriver~

sarus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13821 on: July 26, 2011, 01:46:08 pm »

How do I give Migrants jobs when they arrive? like a hunter or blacksmith miner etc? Thanks!

edit: Oh and how do I view like hurt limbs and such?

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13822 on: July 26, 2011, 02:54:57 pm »

Do burrow restrictions stack additively, or like Venn diagrams? i.e., a dwarf assigned to two burrows -- can he go into EITHER of the burrows, or only into the intersecting areas?

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13823 on: July 26, 2011, 03:01:24 pm »

How can I get rid of a dwarf that cannot grasp at things?

I have a dwarf that lost her left hand in a fight, and damaged her right arm bad. Now she's spamming me with job cancel messages: "cancels pick up equipment: too injured."

I've removed all her job assignments. I tried assigning her to a non-uniform squad stationed inside a magma-room, but she won't budge and starts spamming me even faster about the equipment.

Help me, forumites, help! This is a first fort getting ripped apart for text spam.

The low tech solution is to lock her in her room and have dwarves dump buckets of water into the room and slowly drown her.  Thats pretty messed up dude, I can't believe you thought of that!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13824 on: July 26, 2011, 03:02:37 pm »

Do burrow restrictions stack additively, or like Venn diagrams? i.e., a dwarf assigned to two burrows -- can he go into EITHER of the burrows, or only into the intersecting areas?

Pretty sure that a dwarf assigned to two burrows can only use objects and buildings that are located in the intersecting areas of both burrows.  Of course, burrows place no restriction on the where the dwarf can go, only on what objects and buildings he can use.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13825 on: July 26, 2011, 03:55:17 pm »

How do I give Migrants jobs when they arrive? like a hunter or blacksmith miner etc? Thanks!

edit: Oh and how do I view like hurt limbs and such?

Press v, move the cursor over the dwarf, press p, choose the category of job, and then the specific job you want to assign.  To view wounds, you press w instead of p, and it will show you the dwarf's body parts.  Injured ones will be colored differently.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13826 on: July 26, 2011, 09:35:29 pm »

Does anyone know the value that a piece of furniture needs to be at to maximize the amount of happiness a dwarf gets from admiring a piece of furniture? Also, if I stack a bunch of extremely expensive mechanisms in a single lever, will each mechanism have a chance of triggering a happy thought by passing dwarves?

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13827 on: July 27, 2011, 06:20:30 am »

This question regards to embark spots.

I am a kind of perfectionist when it comes to games so I just spent several hours looking for (my idea) of a perfect embark spot.
Clay
Deep Soil
Shallow Metals
Deep Metals
Flux Stone
Absolutely NO aquifer
Volcano (for easy magma)
River

To make it a little easier I made a world with advanced parameters to allow for more volcanos but I still spend hours looking over all the potential sites but so far as soon as I find one with all the items on the list it also happens to have an aquifer.

Any tips on more changes I can make to the world parameters to give me a higher chance of findind my dream spot?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13828 on: July 27, 2011, 06:56:22 am »

This question regards to embark spots.

I am a kind of perfectionist when it comes to games so I just spent several hours looking for (my idea) of a perfect embark spot.
Clay
Deep Soil
Shallow Metals
Deep Metals
Flux Stone
Absolutely NO aquifer
Volcano (for easy magma)
River

To make it a little easier I made a world with advanced parameters to allow for more volcanos but I still spend hours looking over all the potential sites but so far as soon as I find one with all the items on the list it also happens to have an aquifer.

Any tips on more changes I can make to the world parameters to give me a higher chance of findind my dream spot?
i'm not sure about this, as i've only done one volcano embark, but i think the aquifer has a certain range around the crater that it leaves clear.  this allows you to get under it without much problem.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13829 on: July 27, 2011, 06:59:00 am »

You can change the raws so that aquifers will not happen. Go to raw\objects, and delete all the [AQUIFER] tags from the files starting with 'inorganic'.
Pages: 1 ... 920 921 [922] 923 924 ... 1178