Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126985 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13800 on: July 25, 2011, 09:47:12 pm »

Were they actually sentenced to "# hammerstrikes" or just beating?  The hammering sentence was different from a beating.  The hammerer would take a dwarf to the jail, tie them to a rope if available and then smack them a specified number of times with a hammer and then let the pulpy mass left over go free.

I've seen all guards preform beatings. Not just the Cap.  Though for some reason the cap seems to do it most often.  Probably has something to do with if the captain is already doing something when the sentence gets put up.  But you can almost pretend beatings don't exist if you have a properly stocked jail.  As long as there's an empty rope in the jail they seem to much prefer to imprison dwarves than smack them around.  And dealing with the bug where sometimes prisoners won't be supplied food and drink is simply a matter of a 1 tile pond and 1 tile food stockpile within a tile of the ropes.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13801 on: July 25, 2011, 09:51:32 pm »

i didnt happen to see the sentence.  i had assumed it was going to be just another month or so lockup, but then i get a combat report...

i did have jail room available... plenty of it.  somehow, the sentence got "reduced" from 30-90 days in jail to about 3 good whacks with the training axe.

and the dwarf was happy to take them.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13802 on: July 25, 2011, 10:58:10 pm »

Ah, dwarven justice.

I just don't bother assigning a sheriff.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

sarus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13803 on: July 25, 2011, 11:30:55 pm »

hey guys is there any way to mass get rid of those stones on the flor from mining? im a noob and have been stock piling them all lol

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13804 on: July 25, 2011, 11:39:13 pm »

hey guys is there any way to mass get rid of those stones on the flor from mining? im a noob and have been stock piling them all lol
Assign a "dumping" zone with "I", designate the zone, then press "G" to mark it as a dumping zone. To mass-mark stones for dumping, use "D", "B", "D". It can be 1 by 1, stone stacks infinitely in these piles. I reccomend only doing this in stockpiles and workshop areas, anywhere else, just use "D", "B", "H". It will neaten up the fort visually, and still exist, you just will not see it.
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13805 on: July 25, 2011, 11:45:42 pm »

There you go.

sarus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13806 on: July 25, 2011, 11:52:27 pm »

Thanks!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13807 on: July 26, 2011, 01:20:24 am »

What category of announcement is "The xx breaks the door!"  Hoping to get it to pause on announcements like that.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

enept

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13808 on: July 26, 2011, 02:00:58 am »

I have a dwarf who appears to be going crazy Macbeth style. She's been on a cleaning-self spree for months, ever since her injury and subsequent retirement from my militia. She runs at a soap stockpile, touches it, and runs back a few steps before repeating herself.

The injury is loss of her right arm and a cut (now healed) to the muscle of the upper left arm. I'm assuming this is the problem, but why hasn't she figured out she can't clean herself if that's the case? I turned off her cleaning and patient-related duties, and she's still fiddling with the soap stockpile. And still has badger blood on her. She'll die soon from thirst, but is there anything I can/could have done to help her?

Edit: resolved by forbidding soap and her going in the rain. For now.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:14:12 am by enept »

Skache

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13809 on: July 26, 2011, 04:04:14 am »

Hey guys,

I got three/four little questions ;)
1. How can I clear a cagetrap when I caught an animal in it to bring it to my butchery?
2. What do I have to do, to butcher an Animal I bought from one of the caravans? I bought an vulture and put it on one of my pastures but in the z-Animals-menu it doesn't appear.
3. Are there any special conditions I need to fulfill for my marksdwarves to train in the shooting range? I got enough ammo and from time to time on of them shoots but most of the time they're chiling in the canteen. Also none of my soldiers sleeps in the dedicated barracks. They're all blocking the beds in my dormitory while the barracks are always empty.

I hope you can help me :)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13810 on: July 26, 2011, 04:09:07 am »

Hey guys,

1. How can I clear a cagetrap when I caught an animal in it to bring it to my butchery?
2. What do I have to do, to butcher an Animal I bought from one of the caravans? I bought an vulture and put it on one of my pastures but in the z-Animals-menu it doesn't appear.
3. Are there any special conditions I need to fulfill for my marksdwarves to train in the shooting range? I got enough ammo and from time to time on of them shoots but most of the time they're chiling in the canteen. Also none of my soldiers sleeps in the dedicated barracks. They're all blocking the beds in my dormitory while the barracks are always empty.

I hope you can help me :)
1. not sure, i only butcher tame animals
2. pasture it, then (v)iew it, you may have to then look at (p)refrences, and then ready it for (s)laughter
3.  i think you need an archery target for each squad member.  when they train, they do other activities than just the range, so they wont be shooting all the time.  in the schedule, make sure you have the squads set to sleep in the barracks at will or need (not sure about the differences there) and that the barracks is designated for that squad to sleep in.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13811 on: July 26, 2011, 04:19:39 am »

To butcher an animal , you have to tame it first.
Tame at kennels using animal trainer, then turn on butchery in the z-->a screen

Yuzuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13812 on: July 26, 2011, 04:59:15 am »

Hi there buddies~!

My general stockpile got problem !
some vermin's corpse like "Rat remains" just sit there nobody seems to care while my Refuse pile's empty! 
I triple check the "q" - "s" and i'm pretty sure refuse&corpse are disabled in my general stockpile .

so what went wrong ?

"Refuse Hauling" is activated BTW.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13813 on: July 26, 2011, 05:07:51 am »

Maybe it is outside of your fortress?

Dwarves by default donīt care about refuse at the surface (surface = every tile that had been exposed to sunlight at one ti me in its history) unless "gather refuse from outside" is activated

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13814 on: July 26, 2011, 05:14:56 am »

I think there's an option somewhere (in the refuse stockpile menu?) to ignore dead vermins. maybe that's your problem?
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1178