Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126861 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13725 on: July 23, 2011, 06:09:50 pm »

Caps can be layered under helmets allowing you to wear a cap and a helmet for some extra protection.  But by themselves caps are inferior because they don't cover as much.  Allowing a chance for a strike to ignore the armor/clothing completely.
yes, yes, but that has nothing to do with making helms or caps for trade.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13726 on: July 23, 2011, 06:37:59 pm »

Ah I saw the conversation partially out of context.

I think caps can be made of cloth materials, if they can, caps might be able to be more valuable than helmets if you have a really good dyer and a really good weaver making really good dyed giant cave spider silk cloth and then having a really good clothier make that cloth into a really good cap.  The value multipliers for skill and dyes might be able to make the value go through the roof.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13727 on: July 23, 2011, 07:26:01 pm »

Ah I saw the conversation partially out of context.

I think caps can be made of cloth materials, if they can, caps might be able to be more valuable than helmets if you have a really good dyer and a really good weaver making really good dyed giant cave spider silk cloth and then having a really good clothier make that cloth into a really good cap.  The value multipliers for skill and dyes might be able to make the value go through the roof.
yes, i can attest to this.  i support my fort through decorating the clothes of fallen goblins.  clothesmaking becomes especially valuable with a high base-price material, such as silk.  even using plain old rope reed can net you quite a bit of dwarfbucks in value.

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13728 on: July 23, 2011, 10:00:25 pm »

whats most deadly in weapon traps? giant axe blades or battle axes?
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13729 on: July 23, 2011, 10:09:55 pm »

which one do you think and not to be a jackass gaint axe V. little axe
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13730 on: July 23, 2011, 10:27:49 pm »

Giant axe blades are generally seen as better, due to being giant and all.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13731 on: July 23, 2011, 11:45:12 pm »

Giant axe blades are generally seen as better, due to being giant and all.
but are also generally viewed as inferior to disks, as they only get one attack, and do not seem to penetrate very well.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13732 on: July 24, 2011, 01:41:55 am »

IIRC you can wear a cap under a helm? Let me check the wiki.

snip...

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. These are for export only - helms have higher value, so is there any reason to produce caps instead of them?
why instead?  make leather/metal helms, and cloth caps.

I am making cloth caps. I was just wondering about the other materials. It seems helms are dominant over caps trade-wise (at least until Toady fixes the material consumption).
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13733 on: July 24, 2011, 01:59:13 am »

I am making cloth caps. I was just wondering about the other materials. It seems helms are dominant over caps trade-wise (at least until Toady fixes the material consumption).
really?  i'd think that well-made from scratch caps to be at least equal in value to, say, copper helms... if not bronze.  well made meaning at least exceptionally dyed, woven, and made at the clothier's.  even more for sewn decorations with the same level of quality on dyeing and weaving.

now, a question from me:

why are my marksdwarves storing all of their equipment?  i have the uniform set to replace clothing, and when inactive to be uniformed.  they decide to store everything in their cabinets and in stockpiles except for their shields and crossbows.  this has only started happening when i assigned them a new barracks, and removed their assignment from the old.  it is quite irritating waiting for them to go armor themselves up everytime i give them an order.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13734 on: July 24, 2011, 02:07:49 am »

really?  i'd think that well-made from scratch caps to be at least equal in value to, say, copper helms... if not bronze.  well made meaning at least exceptionally dyed, woven, and made at the clothier's.  even more for sewn decorations with the same level of quality on dyeing and weaving.

Ugh, what am I getting wrong here? The Wiki says a cap's value is 5, and a helm's value is 12. So why should I make caps instead of helms from leather which can be used for either?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13735 on: July 24, 2011, 02:22:30 am »

Ugh, what am I getting wrong here? The Wiki says a cap's value is 5, and a helm's value is 12. So why should I make caps instead of helms from leather which can be used for either?
hrm, leather can be decorated with cloth, the same as cloth.  i was going on the assumption of cloth caps vs metal helms.  for leather, i'd go with the helms.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13736 on: July 24, 2011, 02:32:29 am »

I have enough dwarves to make both. So leather helms and cloth caps it is. I guess I'll make metal ones as well and trade them for more metal bars.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #13737 on: July 24, 2011, 03:36:49 am »

Will dwarves eat plump helmet men corpses raw and unbutchered? Cos I've been reading conflicting reports on this. I suppose I should test it out with Dwarven SCIENCE, which I will do soon if I get around to it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:09:34 am by Demonic Spoon »

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
« Reply #13738 on: July 24, 2011, 07:34:46 am »

I'm fairly sure dwarves can eat plump helmets raw. I know this because currently I have a fortress that is riding on raw cat and raw plump helmets.

I have a question to. How often is it that a dwarf works itself to death? As in I just had miner mine start mining out a resevoir, and it showed her getting thirsty and hungry. I left her alone for awhile after that because my metalsmith just got taken by a mood. 5 minutes later I forgot about her. 5 minutes after that she died of dehydration. She was still in the resevoir.
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #13739 on: July 24, 2011, 08:09:00 am »

Not plump helmets, dwarves will eat those raw yes. Plump helmet men.

Also, how do I make it so that I can use all the creatures in arena mode?
Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 1178