Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126786 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13680 on: July 21, 2011, 06:02:04 pm »

Now does anyone know the answer to this?

I have 2 dwarves as Lovers, somehow I do not want them to get married and reproduce, mostly because the female is in the military and my best commander. Do they only progress when they socialize or does the relationship progress by itself now?

I had a similar situation with 2 lovers, only I wanted kids.  The male was never idle, and the relationship never advanced.  Finally, I locked them in a tiny meeting area, and they married within a month.  So I suspect they only progress when they socialize.

As an alternative to celibacy, you might just want to inure the parents to suffering.  Little ones make fine armor.

how tiny?  i might have to adjust things a bit for my own setup.

Tiny enough that they have a high chance of being right next to each other, idling.

maybe a 2x2 place complete with drink and food, a bed maybe...

That would be a nice idea for a meeting area!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13681 on: July 21, 2011, 06:08:10 pm »

Tiny enough that they have a high chance of being right next to each other, idling.

maybe a 2x2 place complete with drink and food, a bed maybe...

That would be a nice idea for a meeting area!

hmmm.  might convert one of the tower rooms in the nobles' keep to a "enforced love nest" then.  it's somewhat complicated because the two dwarves in question are my duchess and king.  i put them into a burrow that covers the whole keep, with a single meeting hall next to the booze.  they HAVE become friends, something remarkable in my fort, where the mayor has exactly one friend.

i was thinking of perhaps putting them into a 2-3 man squad (with the third dwarf being a married, skilled, instructor) to help enforce socialization, but i have been reluctant, as military service seems to destroy idle time.  i'll do this once (if) they are married.  i have a bunch of artifact clothing and such i want them to wear.  it just doesent do that my duchess is nude aside from some stitches in her liver.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13682 on: July 21, 2011, 06:21:36 pm »

My hospital rooms are also my jail cells-- bed, table, chair, traction bench, chain, food and drink stockpile in a 3x3.  So prisoners never die of thirst or get unhappy about beds/dining.  Made a perfect lovenest.  Maybe the chains and traction helped :)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13683 on: July 21, 2011, 06:31:06 pm »

My hospital rooms are also my jail cells-- bed, table, chair, traction bench, chain, food and drink stockpile in a 3x3.  So prisoners never die of thirst or get unhappy about beds/dining.  Made a perfect lovenest.  Maybe the chains and traction helped :)

hmmm, good idea.  my prison cells are separate from my hospital, but they ARE fit for a king, literally =D

i wonder how much happiness has to do with relationships.  that's the reason why i've let them have the run of the keep.  they stay estatic from the quality of their lodgings.  my king would do OK if kept away from them, but my duchess would have a harder time.  my king has no preferences.  NONE.  so i do not think he will ever make a mandate.  my duchess..... she likes gold.  we do not have gold.  so she is always upset as mandates are missed.  i can get her clear glass mandates easy enough.  recently, her pet dog died of old age, and no one wants to bury the poor thing (despite the ready availability of coffins marked for use of civilian or pet burial) so she has been further upset by enduring the decay of a pet.

she has yet to become "unhappy" but i fear keeping her from her quarters would push her over the edge.

hrmmmm... dwarven relationships is an area where much !!SCIENCE!! is needed.

Jazriel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13684 on: July 22, 2011, 12:14:09 am »

When's the next version coming out? Is there a list of what's going to be in it/what bugs are going to be fixed? Sorry if this can be found easily, it's just easier for me to ask here. :3

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13685 on: July 22, 2011, 12:24:41 am »

When's the next version coming out? Is there a list of what's going to be in it/what bugs are going to be fixed? Sorry if this can be found easily, it's just easier for me to ask here. :3

When, we don't know, and any speculation would be just that- speculation. My private wager is early August, perhaps just after the first week.

What is in it, I'm too lazy to look up- a whole mess of things, I can tell you. A lot of groundwork for the rest of the caravan arc, cities, many new night creatures, necromancy, and tombs/catacombs/dungeons, off the top of my head. You can keep tabs on such things by checking Toady's devlog.

What bugs are going to be fixed can be viewed here, at the Mantis Bug Tracker. If you don't have an account, they're free, and you'll be able to submit any bugs you find as well as keep tabs on bugs that particularly irritate you.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13686 on: July 22, 2011, 12:45:09 am »

i'm going to take a joke from another gaming community i visit the forums of...

...Thursday,

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13687 on: July 22, 2011, 02:22:53 am »

What is best/ most stable 2d version? I like 2d superior to z levels
v0.23.130.23a was the last, so it was the most fixed version.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13688 on: July 22, 2011, 02:33:48 am »

Is there any way in-game to tell how many z-levels there are in an aquifer - or do you just sorta have to guess and hope?

Aquifers are a serious nuisance. I just can't seem to puncture them.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13689 on: July 22, 2011, 03:02:51 am »

The embark screen should tell you how many layers are aquifier. In the embark itself I don't think there's any way but trying out.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13690 on: July 22, 2011, 03:55:27 am »

How much "sunlight" is needed to prevent dwarves from becoming cave adapted? My meeting area has a "streak" of overground (I replaced the natural floors with constructed ones). The dwarves must pass it to get in or out the meeting area. Is that enough?

ALSO: My exp. Leader isn't doing his meeting with the liaison. Shouldn't that be a high-priority task compared to hauling?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:05:05 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13691 on: July 22, 2011, 03:59:55 am »

I lost my Dwarven Liason.  Do I get another one in the years to come, or are we still limited to one liason ever?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:20:26 am by Yagrum Bagarn »
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13692 on: July 22, 2011, 05:48:43 am »

To the Liaison questions:

Yes, they get replaced. I lost mine to death, another to withdrawal of Baronship and the third is a new dwarf  :D .

The Conduct Meeting thing is low-priority In my opinion. The leader must be free from any job to meet. Either that or he is still hauling something.

Unanswered question: The sunlight vs cave adaptation.

My question: It possible to wall off the map and force-spawn enemies/traders in one point by using walls or do I have to use bridges?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13693 on: July 22, 2011, 05:59:07 am »

Definitely not via walls; can't build them that close.

Probably not via bridges either.  I tried this, and elven and human caravans still spawned wherever, although dwarven caravans seemed to spawn inside the bridges.  I'd have to drop my bridges every spring and summer.  Helped for their exit though-- they were still willing to exit wherever.

Re: Sunlight: No, it needs more than a stray sunbeam here and there.  I have a fully lit meeting hall, and some dwarves are still unhappy with the light, depending on how much idle time they have (although everybody has some).
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13694 on: July 22, 2011, 07:30:04 am »

Yes, they get replaced. I lost mine to death, another to withdrawal of Baronship and the third is a new dwarf  :D .

In fact, in the current version the Liaison is replaced every year even if he doesn't die.  So are diplomats from the humans and/or elves.  Entity position holders lose their position when they leave your map, and new ones are automatically created.

My question: It possible to wall off the map and force-spawn enemies/traders in one point by using walls or do I have to use bridges?

You can't build walls within 5 tiles of the map edge on the surface, so you can't block the surface edges with walls.  You can build raising bridges right up to the map edges, and block the edge tiles with raising drawbridges to force enemies and visitors to spawn in certain spots.  I've done it in many forts.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1178