Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126743 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13665 on: July 21, 2011, 02:49:25 pm »

My dogs are fighting each other... they're restrained to ropes as watchdogs but they keep hurting each other. What gives?

I'd like this answered ASAP, thank you, because I can't have watchdogs if they keep killing each other. My other cattle is also fighting, even though they have a large pasture.

i'd like a million bucks, asap, but.....

heh, in all seriousness, pasture the dogs in a larger area, or have them set up in 1 tile pastures on either side of the door.  dont dick with the chains.  how many cattle are in your "large" pasture?  do something to remove some of the cattle, then replace them.  pasture size does not really matter if all of the animals assigned are clustered together.  some folks get better results by having many, smaller, pastures.

myself, i keep 50 alpacas in 3 max-size pastures, and about 4-5 smaller ones.  i keep wardogs in a pasture, 1 to a square, and they do not fight.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13666 on: July 21, 2011, 03:10:02 pm »

Of course, why didn't I think of that! What's the point of restraining animals if one can just pasture them?

However, I'm still confused about the dogs fighting each other - it has not happened to me before. I've had grazers fight each other over grass, but dogs don't eat, so what on earth could they fight over...?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13667 on: July 21, 2011, 03:11:25 pm »

Now with the current barony/hammerer/dungeonmaster etc issues, I know you can make these things appliable by the mayor or whatever and kinda get them but with the dungeonmaster his taming is also broken so he doesn't quite work with that. However if you make the hammerer appointable does he fully work?
Try it. I've heard that making the Dungeon Master appointable doesn't fix the "can't tame exotics" problem, but I haven't tried it myself.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13668 on: July 21, 2011, 03:26:31 pm »

The use of restraining animals I think is mostly for untamed animals you want somewhere.
That said I've never let wild animals out of their cages myself as I don't see the point, I guess one could better manage wild animals that for some reason you don't want/can't tame.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13669 on: July 21, 2011, 03:42:09 pm »

Of course, why didn't I think of that! What's the point of restraining animals if one can just pasture them?

However, I'm still confused about the dogs fighting each other - it has not happened to me before. I've had grazers fight each other over grass, but dogs don't eat, so what on earth could they fight over...?

might just be space or something.... were both dogs the same gender?

i've never had dogs fight each other, but i've read reports of folks who have.  i cannot explain it myself, being ignorant of many of the things that make the game work the way it does.

personally, i'd consider it a blessing if my dogs started fighting.  they'd get "trained" by combat, so long as they dont injure each other too badly.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13670 on: July 21, 2011, 03:49:27 pm »

dogs fighting each other? huh, Ill be right back i got a few arenas to build...
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13671 on: July 21, 2011, 04:02:19 pm »

Increased Animal density seems to make them fight each other.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13672 on: July 21, 2011, 04:26:38 pm »

Really? im going to hell for what im planning
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13673 on: July 21, 2011, 04:47:52 pm »

i've never had dogs fight each other, but i've read reports of folks who have.  i cannot explain it myself, being ignorant of many of the things that make the game work the way it does.

personally, i'd consider it a blessing if my dogs started fighting.  they'd get "trained" by combat, so long as they dont injure each other too badly.

I had a test running and... it seems that animals (who are too cramped up in one place) have a chance of fighting each other on that. (I've read something about this somewhere, either in the forums or in the wiki.) But if there is enough space (to seperate them from others like [C . C]) then they will not fight. Try pasturing about 10 or so puppies in a 2x2 area and you'll see what I mean.

Just even 1 breeding pair of cats pastured in a 1x1 tile caused them to be itchy-scratchy on each other.

And animals do not level their fighting skills by fighting, its with something in the raws. "[LEARN] something..." My memory fails me on this one.

Now does anyone know the answer to this?

I have 2 dwarves as Lovers, somehow I do not want them to get married and reproduce, mostly because the female is in the military and my best commander. Do they only progress when they socialize or does the relationship progress by itself now?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:49:50 pm by Tiruin »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13674 on: July 21, 2011, 04:50:49 pm »

I find that my food animals fighting is a sign I need to change pastures.

With the dogs, I prefer to have a few chained up across the entrance to maintain a defense against thieves and kobolds. I tried pasturing the rest, but SO MANY PUPPIES, so I crammed them into a cage.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13675 on: July 21, 2011, 04:56:54 pm »

I had a test running and... it seems that animals (who are too cramped up in one place) have a chance of fighting each other on that. (I've read something about this somewhere, either in the forums or in the wiki.) But if there is enough space (to seperate them from others like [C . C]) then they will not fight. Try pasturing about 10 or so puppies in a 2x2 area and you'll see what I mean.

Just even 1 breeding pair of cats pastured in a 1x1 tile caused them to be itchy-scratchy on each other.

And animals do not level their fighting skills by fighting, its with something in the raws. "[LEARN] something..." My memory fails me on this one.

I have 2 dwarves as Lovers, somehow I do not want them to get married and reproduce, mostly because the female is in the military and my best commander. Do they only progress when they socialize or does the relationship progress by itself now?

as to animals fighting, while their skills may not change, i've noticed on a bull calf i had that fighting made him stronger (description went from no description of strength to "bulging with muscles" over the course of a season)  i figure more strength on a war dog leads to more effective combat.  i could be dead wrong and my experience was a coincidence, however.

i am not sure about relationships.  i am in the opposite boat, i want two specific dwarves to get married.  all the reports i hear on the subject tell me that "not enough is really known" about the mechanics of dwarven love.  my best guess is that it MAY progress more, but perhaps not as quickly as it would without downtime or close contact (if the other dwarf is also in the military, put him in a squad that is quartered and trained far away from your commander).

worst case scenerio - start training a replacement now.  alternately, get your commander to "doesent care about anything" and any incidental child death impact will be minimal.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13676 on: July 21, 2011, 04:59:24 pm »

I had a similar situation with 2 lovers, only I wanted kids.  The male was never idle, and the relationship never advanced.  Finally, I locked them in a tiny meeting area, and they married within a month.  So I suspect they only progress when they socialize.

As an alternative to celibacy, you might just want to inure the parents to suffering.  Little ones make fine armor.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13677 on: July 21, 2011, 05:17:04 pm »

Well i'll try and see what happens then, I've never even gotten a mayor before though I dont think so this might take a bit.

EDIT: I suppose I could do ex leader for now as well to get it sooner, but then the issue is how long until a crime is commited.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:19:45 pm by Vherid »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13678 on: July 21, 2011, 05:20:48 pm »

My dogs are fighting each other... they're restrained to ropes as watchdogs but they keep hurting each other. What gives?

If the dogs are chained close enough together that they can occupy the same tile they can get aggressive from overcrowding.  If an animal has to lie down for an extended period of time they will attack what is standing above them.

Yes even non grazers.  Any tame animal will do it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:22:25 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13679 on: July 21, 2011, 05:21:52 pm »

I had a similar situation with 2 lovers, only I wanted kids.  The male was never idle, and the relationship never advanced.  Finally, I locked them in a tiny meeting area, and they married within a month.  So I suspect they only progress when they socialize.

As an alternative to celibacy, you might just want to inure the parents to suffering.  Little ones make fine armor.

how tiny?  i might have to adjust things a bit for my own setup.
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1178