Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 907 908 [909] 910 911 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126629 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13620 on: July 20, 2011, 12:25:30 am »

How do I designate a clay collection zone? Is it on a wall or a floor and what are the types of clay? I have silty clay loam, fire clay, and clay. I tried putting one on the silty clay loam but it didn't work.
I can't remember if silty clay loam works for clay, but the other two definitely do.  It's on the floor.  Lay down a zone with {i} and set it to Clay.  You have to start a Collect Clay task at a kiln or through the manager to get them to gather some.

Thanks I figured it out about a minute later. silty clay loam isn't considered clay I guess.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13621 on: July 20, 2011, 01:15:05 am »

I'd like tips on goblinite extractors. My last game had a tall tower (over 15z top to bottom) with a 5*5 retractable bridge and 3 tiles of floor to place the cages in. This failed catastrophically as one of the goblins was launched back on the floor tiles and because of bad design I realized only afterwards I couldn't pull the lever again. Any tips on sacrifice towers that always work?

And another question - bridge fall traps seem to be quite popular. Couldn't floor bars or hatches be used as well? Do they activate even with megabeasts on them?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13622 on: July 20, 2011, 01:45:43 am »

Drop them in water, make it drainable, or have a flooding mechanism for the odd survivor. Cage trap any access tunnels you make too in case of survivors.

Dropping traps will certainly NOT work for FBs, bridges will not activate while they are on them, but any type of opening mechanism should work for regular monsters.

Non-FB monsters can be caged usually though.

I'll direct you to my auto-drowning tunnel design again though, I mentioned this previously in this thread, recently you may recall (pm me if you want detailed plans). THAT works 100% of the time, and it blocks FBs too. It does require you to have pressurized river water though. It also collects goblinite and deposits it a few levels underground, where i placed my forges. 8) It requires no human input once it's installed either, except occasional draining to remove goblinite build-up, but it can collect 100's of goblins without problem.

(btw Hatches are always instant, unlike Bridges which take 100 cycles to open, and hatches do not fling stuff. Are you sure you made a "retracting" bridge. only raising bridges throw stuff around.)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:56:16 am by Reelyanoob »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13623 on: July 20, 2011, 01:56:10 am »

I want to do stupid plans myself before resorting to good designs, thank you :)

But, what about Megabeasts that can't fly, like Bronze Colossi? Bridges don't work while one is on them, but what about floor bars/grates/hatches?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13624 on: July 20, 2011, 01:58:49 am »

Pressure-plate/hatch combos can trap anything that cannot fly.

HPH is the combo (in a 1-wide tunnel). The enemy hits the plate, opening the hatches. Even FBs will be trapped, though they will break the hatches, this just traps them further. You just have to work out how to kill them then. Maybe drop a block on top of them then?

I'm not sure how a hatch will react if it tries to open with a Colossi on it, make a narrow tunnel of hatches hooked to a single lever, and find out.

(HPH is also the basis of my drowning machine. There's an additional hatch above the pressure plate holding back the river water. No goblin has ever held onto the plate, so they get flushed into the open hatches, which then close and the machine resets. Don't know if a FB could hold position with flowing water, but probably not)

More recently, I've gone back to capturing goblins with cages to train military and for "experiments" though.

If killing goblins for goblinite, you might want a special "capture" room to collect the whole siege before unleashing death. Use HP exits from the room, set to creature. Enemies can then path into but not out of the room. You can create a coup-de-gras device then to kill them (drowning is my preferred method again) or drop them into cage traps, or whatever.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:11:00 am by Reelyanoob »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13625 on: July 20, 2011, 02:09:17 am »

I'm more interested in finding out whether hatches (or bars or grates et cetera) can be used for fall traps...

I just realized that because I have no water source (above ground at least) drowning may not be the best option. Fine. Spikes and falls will fix that. And cave-ins.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:12:05 am by Kay12 »

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #13626 on: July 20, 2011, 02:29:06 am »

I'm more interested in finding out whether hatches (or bars or grates et cetera) can be used for fall traps...

I just realized that because I have no water source (above ground at least) drowning may not be the best option. Fine. Spikes and falls will fix that. And cave-ins.

I quite like my retractable bridge fall-trap.  The only downside is the mess it makes with all the random body parts.  You get goblin bones out of it, but it takes forever and isn't really worth it.  I'd nominate a magma wash, either drop them into magma or put magma through to burn away the clothes and body parts.  Sure, you'll lose metal that isn't magma-safe (silver? gold?) but the reduced hassle is worth it in my opinion.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13627 on: July 20, 2011, 02:30:31 am »

Extra body parts are no problem. A mature fort has dozens of idle haulers waiting for random stuff to pop up, and atom smashing can get rid of body parts. And I like getting as much metal as possible, even the inferior ones like copper.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13628 on: July 20, 2011, 03:27:46 am »

^ Three pages ago, thanks for answering my question. The construction of the mega-barracks is now commencing. Also, thanks to Langdon for that suggestion, ammo at your feet ready for loading.  :)

For my question, does anyone know what to edit in the RAWS in order to completely remove a civilization from a certain world (in the region file)?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13629 on: July 20, 2011, 07:33:32 am »

Are you sure you made a "retracting" bridge. only raising bridges throw stuff around.
Retracting bridges sometimes randomly fling things a few tiles.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13630 on: July 20, 2011, 07:40:45 am »

I'm not sure how a hatch will react if it tries to open with a Colossi on it, make a narrow tunnel of hatches hooked to a single lever, and find out.

Hatches, grates, and floor bars will open no matter what creatures are on them.  They don't have a size limit like bridges do.  However, hatches, grates, and floor bars are susceptible to building-destroyers, which will destroy them before stepping on them.  Since most megabeasts are building-destroyers this means you can't really use hatches to drop megabeasts.

Are you sure you made a "retracting" bridge. only raising bridges throw stuff around.
Retracting bridges sometimes randomly fling things a few tiles.

Correct, the only difference in flinging between retracting and raising bridges is the distance.  Raising bridges throw stuff up to 11 tiles, retracting bridges throw stuff up to 3 tiles.

For my question, does anyone know what to edit in the RAWS in order to completely remove a civilization from a certain world (in the region file)?

If the world has already been created?  I don't think you can.  Deleting the creature entry or the entity entry from the raws will probably just crash the game.  The best you can do is probably to modify the creature entry to make any individuals of that race instantly die of old age or explode in flame if they ever come on the map.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13631 on: July 20, 2011, 10:09:31 am »

What is the use of memorial slabs?
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #13632 on: July 20, 2011, 10:15:17 am »

What is the use of memorial slabs?

Slabs are used to prevent unburied dwarves' ghosts to haunt your fortress.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13633 on: July 20, 2011, 10:21:15 am »

Slabs also may be used like statue for furniture, and are quite decent decorations because they won't block passage.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13634 on: July 20, 2011, 04:50:05 pm »

Large gems.  What stockpile?
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney
Pages: 1 ... 907 908 [909] 910 911 ... 1178