Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126532 times)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13560 on: July 18, 2011, 01:47:59 am »

can i build siege weapons on a bridge?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #13561 on: July 18, 2011, 01:52:09 am »

Since bridges count as buildings, I'm guessing no.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13562 on: July 18, 2011, 02:45:45 am »

If it's a "true" bridge (one that can be linked to a lever for retracting/raising), no. If it's a bridge built out of floor tiles, yes.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13563 on: July 18, 2011, 04:19:35 am »

Will the cave crocodile eggs ever hatch if there is no dungeon master to speak of and the exotic creature tag was just removed manually after the appointment of the baron?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13564 on: July 18, 2011, 05:18:51 am »

Will the cave crocodile eggs ever hatch if there is no dungeon master to speak of and the exotic creature tag was just removed manually after the appointment of the baron?

If by you mean it is tame and has its raw files edited to [PET] then yes, they will hatch (if you have a claimed nest box and nobody at ALL will disturb the mother and eggs)

Eggs need time to hatch just like in the real world. In DF, realism = balance.

Edit: And here are my questions

1. How do I train up social skills when I have an industrious fortress (I want my mayor to become a great speaker/social dwarf. Also, he is in the military but I don't think this counts [That is in one of my other threads]) Now I what I want to know is how to get another dwarf inactive and make them chat in my 2x2 meeting area, they go to their own bedrooms most of the time.

2. My Dwarven bathtub {3x1} is expecting syndromy stuff, how do I create a kind of "toilet" to drain the water filled with liquid goodness? When the liquidy goodness touches walls, does the stain affect water passing by it?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:20:27 am by Tiruin »

Deamonpies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13565 on: July 18, 2011, 06:36:52 am »

Will a dwarf with some broken bones get better even if he is not diagnosed?

None of my dwarfs have any skill in diagnose and I had an accidental cave in.

Vonyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13566 on: July 18, 2011, 06:43:30 am »

A Q about burrows, if I made the whole map a burrow and then told my soldiers to defend it, would they attack all enemies the showed up? Would it work?

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13567 on: July 18, 2011, 08:12:02 am »

When a dwarf is interrupted by some creature, is there a way to easily locate it? I can zoom to dwarf and manually look around, but is there a better way?
You can zoom to the location of the announcement by pressing z in the Announcements screen. If there are other announcements being spammed then the delay between interruption and announcement might be long enough for both parties to move away.
Yes, i'm using z method right now, but if I get message "someone was interrupted by Giant Toad", can I get the list of all Giant Toads and zoom to them to check if they are causing problems?

laijka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13568 on: July 18, 2011, 08:23:13 am »

A Q about burrows, if I made the whole map a burrow and then told my soldiers to defend it, would they attack all enemies the showed up? Would it work?

Wouldn't they need to see the enemies though?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13569 on: July 18, 2011, 08:27:10 am »

When a dwarf is interrupted by some creature, is there a way to easily locate it? I can zoom to dwarf and manually look around, but is there a better way?
You can zoom to the location of the announcement by pressing z in the Announcements screen. If there are other announcements being spammed then the delay between interruption and announcement might be long enough for both parties to move away.
Yes, i'm using z method right now, but if I get message "someone was interrupted by Giant Toad", can I get the list of all Giant Toads and zoom to them to check if they are causing problems?
Press U then you can zoom by pressing c on the toads. The Units list shows creatures in stacks by specie and type. Could anyone answer the questions above, its killing me  ;D

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #13570 on: July 18, 2011, 08:32:32 am »

1. How do I train up social skills when I have an industrious fortress (I want my mayor to become a great speaker/social dwarf. Also, he is in the military but I don't think this counts [That is in one of my other threads]) Now I what I want to know is how to get another dwarf inactive and make them chat in my 2x2 meeting area, they go to their own bedrooms most of the time.

Dwarves train their social skills when idling in meeting areas or attending parties and they are standing near another dwarf. All social skills seem to train at roughly the same rate, though their personality traits will determine which skills they train - for example, a very self-conscious dwarf will not gain Comedian skill. See personality trait for more information.
DF Wiki

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13571 on: July 18, 2011, 08:38:05 am »

Will a dwarf with some broken bones get better even if he is not diagnosed?

None of my dwarfs have any skill in diagnose and I had an accidental cave in.

A dwarf can still perform a diagnosis when they are unskilled.  It can, however, lead to disaster fun.  Or nothing at all.  Anyway, simply choose a chief doctor and enable the Diagnose labor for them (and/or any other dwarves you want performing said labor).

Not sure if your injured dwarf will heal their broken bones on their own.  At the very least it would take a very long time without the aid of casts and splints.  Even longer if they "heal slowly."  I've had a dwarf in traction for six years because they heal slowly.

Disable all their labors.  With nothing to do, your chosen social trainer will hang out in the meeting area and throw parties.  They might also get a little upset about not having any work, though.  Alternatively, super-specialize a dwarf for a labor that doesn't need constant attention (or the extra dwarf you'd be adding), like farming.  Or milling.  If you only have one millstone but two or three millers, one of them is always sure to be inactive.  If you have add an extra planter/grower in vanilla - or even if your grower is just skilled enough - they'll have plenty of down-time.  My smiths are almost never doing anything once my military's equipped.  Disable your military labors, too, and your off-duty squads MIGHT decide to chat it up instead of do individual combat drills.  If your future mayor is in the military, this could be part of his problem.  But if he's doing any sparring or combat drills he could be chatting with his fellow soldiers.

Double-alternatively, look into the Higher Learning mod, which adds a library you can use to train many skills, including social ones.  Would require genning a new world, though.

You could also try using burrows to encourage interaction between specific dwarves.  Make small burrow, assign two dwarves to it (and no other burrows), watch them sit there and wonder why they aren't allowed to leave the room.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Deamonpies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13572 on: July 18, 2011, 08:43:58 am »

A dwarf can still perform a diagnosis when they are unskilled.  It can, however, lead to disaster fun.  Or nothing at all.  Anyway, simply choose a chief doctor and enable the Diagnose labor for them (and/or any other dwarves you want performing said labor).

Not sure if your injured dwarf will heal their broken bones on their own.  At the very least it would take a very long time without the aid of casts and splints.  Even longer if they "heal slowly."  I've had a dwarf in traction for six years because they heal slowly.

Cheers for this but my doctor doesn't seem to want to diagnose. If I disable everything but diagnose he just stands there and does nothing,

Would it matter if my injured dwarf was in a bed that wasn't in the hospital? I didn't have a hospital when it happened.

cpt_williarsk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13573 on: July 18, 2011, 08:56:03 am »

thank you

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13574 on: July 18, 2011, 09:02:56 am »

Cheers for this but my doctor doesn't seem to want to diagnose. If I disable everything but diagnose he just stands there and does nothing,

Would it matter if my injured dwarf was in a bed that wasn't in the hospital? I didn't have a hospital when it happened.

"diagnosis requested" still?

deconstruct the bed that the injured dwarf is resting in.  someone should take him to the hospital.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time
Pages: 1 ... 903 904 [905] 906 907 ... 1178