Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126449 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13530 on: July 17, 2011, 02:50:54 am »

Small Question

I'm busy training up my Noble as a hammerdwarf, when he reaches Great, will he become a master soldier and have all labors automatically lost? (Has his own squad, not activated, just wanted him to be a soldier fighting for his mandates. Also, he has the best armor provided.)

And do soldiers only become master soldiers and have bad thoughts from being relieved only when their squad is activated? (and can they not become master soldiers and have labors reactivated when their squad is inactivated?)

Another question:
Why do barrels seem to be better than Large pots? I've read they work the same yet pots are being used far slower than my barrels are and mostly not being used at all to store the excess food even when the stockpiles need them (I haven't tampered with any stockpiles, so it automatically fills with full barrel needs)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:52:50 am by Tiruin »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13531 on: July 17, 2011, 05:05:13 am »

Small Question

I'm busy training up my Noble as a hammerdwarf, when he reaches Great, will he become a master soldier and have all labors automatically lost? (Has his own squad, not activated, just wanted him to be a soldier fighting for his mandates. Also, he has the best armor provided.)

And do soldiers only become master soldiers and have bad thoughts from being relieved only when their squad is activated? (and can they not become master soldiers and have labors reactivated when their squad is inactivated?)

Another question:
Why do barrels seem to be better than Large pots? I've read they work the same yet pots are being used far slower than my barrels are and mostly not being used at all to store the excess food even when the stockpiles need them (I haven't tampered with any stockpiles, so it automatically fills with full barrel needs)

1) He will-- at which point you can re-enable those labors on him.  It doesn't work the same as it used to.

2) Can't quite parse this one, but one important part of the answer (maybe?) is that having bad thoughts from being relieved has nothing to do with high military skill, but only with an absence of civilian skill

3) They should work the same, and do, in my experience, except dwarves might be picking barrels preferentially, probably based on distance, and large pots tend to weigh more than barrels, slowing down haulers.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13532 on: July 17, 2011, 06:10:02 am »

I was driling down (designating up/down stairways), when I found a underground cave. After a while, Giant toad found it's way under my up/down stairways and is scaring my dwarves shitless. I want to try 2 solutions for this problem:
1. Fix the up/down stairway somehow that toad will stop scaring my dwarves. How can I do this - try to remove up/down stairway (if yes, then how? d-z or d-n?) and put floor instead?
2. Create stairs leading to the bottom of the cave and kill the toad. Should I try to designate up/down stairway? If yes, then how? - there is an empty space below.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13533 on: July 17, 2011, 06:53:18 am »

Thanks for answering my question, time to get my Noble army ready!

I was driling down (designating up/down stairways), when I found a underground cave. After a while, Giant toad found it's way under my up/down stairways and is scaring my dwarves shitless. I want to try 2 solutions for this problem:
1. Fix the up/down stairway somehow that toad will stop scaring my dwarves. How can I do this - try to remove up/down stairway (if yes, then how? d-z or d-n?) and put floor instead?
2. Create stairs leading to the bottom of the cave and kill the toad. Should I try to designate up/down stairway? If yes, then how? - there is an empty space below.

The scaring part is due to the fact that dwarves see the Giant toad so if you can block their sight (like blocking off the stairway with a floor/walling it off and making a new stairway) then it would be better.

That or kill the toad, if that can sneak in from the cave/caverns then there will be more on the way for sure.

You cannot make stairs or any other passageway on empty space, you can only build floors/walls over it. (Forgive me if I took your question in a wrong way.)

Or you could seal the stairway and dig a new one, bypassing the cave altogether. Unless it is a cavern.

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13534 on: July 17, 2011, 07:09:33 am »

The scaring part is due to the fact that dwarves see the Giant toad so if you can block their sight (like blocking off the stairway with a floor/walling it off and making a new stairway) then it would be better.

That or kill the toad, if that can sneak in from the cave/caverns then there will be more on the way for sure.

You cannot make stairs or any other passageway on empty space, you can only build floors/walls over it. (Forgive me if I took your question in a wrong way.)

Or you could seal the stairway and dig a new one, bypassing the cave altogether. Unless it is a cavern.

Thank you for a reply. It was a cavern, not a cave. I did very unelegant solution - dug another stairs nearby (my cavern is full of pillars, so I dug stairs in one), then the toad came up and was killed by my military. All interruptions disappeared.

In DF2010 creatures can't spawn randomly inside the fortress, they will have to come from map boundaries or from unexplored caverns, right? In other words, if I fully explore cavern with my military, there is no chance another creature will pop up from nowhere and start scaring my dwarves?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13535 on: July 17, 2011, 07:13:54 am »

OK, what you need to to close off a single-tile breakin to the cavern system.

1) find a place where you can dig 1 tile to the side, then up beck towards your fort.  Dig up stairs to the side then down stairs on the tile above that.

2) then do d-z to remove dig up stairs on the tile next to your up stairs.

3) then do b-C-f to put a floor over the down stairs after the digging out is done.

You can do this anywhere in the tunnel down, just be sure that you end up with a two tile wide bit at the end, with a floor and an up stair leading up to a down stair, which connects to the original tunnel.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13536 on: July 17, 2011, 07:15:42 am »

Thank you for a reply. It was a cavern, not a cave. I did very unelegant solution - dug another stairs nearby (my cavern is full of pillars, so I dug stairs in one), then the toad came up and was killed by my military. All interruptions disappeared.

In DF2010 creatures can't spawn randomly inside the fortress, they will have to come from map boundaries or from unexplored caverns, right? In other words, if I fully explore cavern with my military, there is no chance another creature will pop up from nowhere and start scaring my dwarves?

Creatures can also spawn at biome borders from what I understand.  I have heard about non-edge spawns, and I think it was determined that they were spawning at biome edges.  Others might remember more.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13537 on: July 17, 2011, 09:51:11 am »

I just checked the screens. I have hist fig screen, imports and offerings (the amounts, NOT the deals) and the trade agreements screen only has the number 252 for both categories. So, either you're wrong or this screen is bugged.
252 is the year. Press Enter to see the agreements for that year.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13538 on: July 17, 2011, 10:27:46 am »

you have the materials, but are they all claimed for work?  shut one furnace (and not the fuel-producing one) off for a few ingame days, enough for the in-use smelters to complete their active jobs.  then, check all of the inactive smelters and see if tasks are blocked.

generally, nonmagma forges have only shown me all red tasks when there is no fuel available. 

the materials are not outside of any burrows you may have assigned your furnace operators?  no locked doors, and they can indeed path to it?

default raws?

Body, the other smelters have reserved your fuel for their use. You have smelters assigned 50 jobs requiring 50 fuel, a newly built smelter will have no access to any fuel, unless fuel reserves are above 50.

Alright, so I tried canceling all the current tasks (there were only 6 total, but they were all set on repeat) except the ones that make fuel.  A little while later, I checked, and still couldn't assign new tasks.
I also tried destroying and rebuilding the smelters.  Still no luck.  Still got a healthy-sized fuel stockpile, and an ore stockpile just downstairs.  The only burrows I have are for jewelers.

Also, I failed to mention, these smelters have been running nonstop for several years, with no problem like this before.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Deamonpies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13539 on: July 17, 2011, 12:08:03 pm »

Is there a list of what goods can be stored in bins/barrels?

more precisly can wood be stored in bins/barrels? i'm looking for a way to decrease the sprawling nature of my wood stockpile.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13540 on: July 17, 2011, 01:23:12 pm »

Wood cannot be stored in bins or barrels. You can make wood blocks which can be stored in bins but you can only use those for building workshops/constructions etc. Same for metals and stone although metal bars can be stored in bins anyway.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13541 on: July 17, 2011, 01:36:19 pm »

Body, it seems like either your coke supply is forbidden, or has been reserved for another job. Make sure you have not designated a big construction project accidentally assigning coke as the building material. If you did, just fire the construction foreman.
 If it is still acting weird, forbid coke on stock screen, then claim it
 Look in your stockscreen, make sure coke has not accidentally been forbidden.
 If you are using quickfort, it might have hijacked the coke for building materials.
A bad mistake i made was designating a burrow at the foundry, no one assigned, just to be able to go look at it quickly. Bad idea.

Deam, Food is stored in barrels. Milled plants are stored in bags, then in barrels. Everything else besides stone, corpses, refuse, furniture,WOOD and animals are stored in bins.
To alleviate your massive wood stockpiles, create a Quantum stockpile. All this is is a garbage dump where you dump the wood from the stockpiles. Once your wood stockpiles are cleaned up,mass claim the wood in the quantum stockpile, for use.
Many use this technique to create a small space to hold large amounts of raw materials for building, or crafting.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Deamonpies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13542 on: July 17, 2011, 01:59:52 pm »

Ty dutchling, looks like I just need more wooden items.

kudzis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13543 on: July 17, 2011, 03:26:36 pm »

When a dwarf is interrupted by some creature, is there a way to easily locate it? I can zoom to dwarf and manually look around, but is there a better way?

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13544 on: July 17, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »

How do I give crutches for the dwarf that lost the ability to stand up?
I have crutches in the "Hospital Screen" but they don't give for the poor kid that need it.
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 1178