Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 900 901 [902] 903 904 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126470 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13515 on: July 16, 2011, 05:24:18 pm »

If you have ahad any water or magma flooding in your fort, build floors over where the flooding occurred and then deconstruct the floors and see what pops out, if anything.

There are some item bugs having to do with water / magma / obsidian mixing.  There's at least one case where this seems to have impacted siege status for a fort, lord only knows if it might somehow effect item handling in other ways.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13516 on: July 16, 2011, 06:21:00 pm »

I genned a world in 21.18 and am playing it in 21.25. For some reason, I can't collect clay. Could it be because I genned the world in a version before 21.19?
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

enept

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13517 on: July 16, 2011, 06:36:15 pm »

I have reclaimed the same fort several times in quick succession, due to an unfortunate incident with a cave dragon. Now I have ghosts harassing my people. I can't memorialize them, as they aren't in the list of people able to be memorialized. Their bodies haven't been found yet, if they exist at all. Are these ghosts insatiable, then?

Along with the same theme of corpses, I have several corpses that are also buried ("this is the resting place of Urist McDragonfodder"), yet some/all of the bodies are still in my surface refuse pile. What's up with that?

Err, found one of the ghosts' heads... And an arm... and a leg... Dragons happened. Why won't they bury or memorialize his skull!?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13518 on: July 16, 2011, 07:39:36 pm »

I genned a world in 21.18 and am playing it in 21.25. For some reason, I can't collect clay. Could it be because I genned the world in a version before 21.19?

I believe older worlds were not set up properly to allow clay, so at first glance, I'd say yes.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13519 on: July 16, 2011, 07:41:47 pm »

I have reclaimed the same fort several times in quick succession, due to an unfortunate incident with a cave dragon. Now I have ghosts harassing my people. I can't memorialize them, as they aren't in the list of people able to be memorialized. Their bodies haven't been found yet, if they exist at all. Are these ghosts insatiable, then?

Along with the same theme of corpses, I have several corpses that are also buried ("this is the resting place of Urist McDragonfodder"), yet some/all of the bodies are still in my surface refuse pile. What's up with that?

Err, found one of the ghosts' heads... And an arm... and a leg... Dragons happened. Why won't they bury or memorialize his skull!?

Hrm, a coffin will be claimed for a dwarf even if there is no corpse for it.  There are two messages that a non-tomb coffin can have when it's been claimed for a dwarf.  One for if the dwarf is safely buried, the other if not.  I cannot remember the two offhand.

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13520 on: July 16, 2011, 07:55:48 pm »

Darn. I'm assuming there's no way around it?
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13521 on: July 16, 2011, 08:45:21 pm »

For some reason, I can't assign any new tasks to my smelters.  Currently, I have four smelters, and three of them are in use.  One is alternating between smelting iron from hematite and limonite, one is alternating between making pig iron and steel, and one is alternating between making bituminous coal and coke.
I wanted to set the fourth one to the task "melt a metal object" or "smelt native gold", but all the reactions are showing up in red.  This includes all the tasks that are currently being done on other smelters.  I have all the materials, I have fuel, and nothing seems to be forbidden.  Any idea what my problem is?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13522 on: July 16, 2011, 08:50:47 pm »

For some reason, I can't assign any new tasks to my smelters.  Currently, I have four smelters, and three of them are in use.  One is alternating between smelting iron from hematite and limonite, one is alternating between making pig iron and steel, and one is alternating between making bituminous coal and coke.
I wanted to set the fourth one to the task "melt a metal object" or "smelt native gold", but all the reactions are showing up in red.  This includes all the tasks that are currently being done on other smelters.  I have all the materials, I have fuel, and nothing seems to be forbidden.  Any idea what my problem is?

Magma smelter?

If so, what depth of magma underneath it?

If your magma level is good, make sure the top center tile is sitting on top of the magma hole.

Also make sure if it's built over magma, that it's a magma furnace, not a regular one.

Finally, make sure the furnace is made of magma safe materials.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13523 on: July 16, 2011, 08:54:35 pm »

Nope, they're not magma smelters.   :-\
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13524 on: July 16, 2011, 09:12:01 pm »

Can you remove a construction, say, a wall, on re-embark? Also, is it good to have a river source on your embark?

EDIT: Found out that you can, but the wall is forbidden, so you have to reclaim it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:41:57 pm by rutsber »
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13525 on: July 16, 2011, 09:42:46 pm »

Darn. I'm assuming there's no way around it?
It's a long shot but try adding this tag to the raws for the kind of clay you are trying to use.
Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:FIRED_MAT:INORGANIC:CERAMIC_EARTHENWARE]
I'm thinking the problem may be more complicated then a simple reaction tag, but it couldn't hurt trying.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13526 on: July 16, 2011, 10:01:59 pm »

you have the materials, but are they all claimed for work?  shut one furnace (and not the fuel-producing one) off for a few ingame days, enough for the in-use smelters to complete their active jobs.  then, check all of the inactive smelters and see if tasks are blocked.

generally, nonmagma forges have only shown me all red tasks when there is no fuel available. 

the materials are not outside of any burrows you may have assigned your furnace operators?  no locked doors, and they can indeed path to it?

default raws?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13527 on: July 16, 2011, 11:58:53 pm »

Can you still strip prisoners of their armour and weapons while caged?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13528 on: July 17, 2011, 12:43:36 am »

Yup, Skorpion. If you have them in a animal stockpile, mass claim the cages, then mass dump, then individually remove the dump designation from the cages. The cage and prisoner stays, their belongings get dumped. Reclaim what you want from the dump. This is the easy way.
 Body, the other smelters have reserved your fuel for their use. You have smelters assigned 50 jobs requiring 50 fuel, a newly built smelter will have no access to any fuel, unless fuel reserves are above 50.
 Later on, remember that if you assign a burrow to the smelters, they will not perform reactions, if reaction materials are not in that burrow. I.E will smelt hematite, but will not smelt steel, since it requires several ingrediants
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13529 on: July 17, 2011, 01:03:38 am »

Quick question: I had invasion cut on when I started my current fort, then cut it off for about a year of game time to finish up a mega-project and get rid of all the goblinite. Was wondering if cutting invasions back on would get them sieging again and how long it would take for the invaders to come back.
Pages: 1 ... 900 901 [902] 903 904 ... 1178