Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 899 900 [901] 902 903 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126414 times)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13500 on: July 16, 2011, 06:29:33 am »

what labor is associated with the "fill pond" job? I can't seem to turn it off for my important dwarves.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13501 on: July 16, 2011, 07:28:48 am »

if it isnt hauling of some sort, odds are it is a labourless job (like pen/paster large animal)  if you really want to restrict your nobles from this task, assign them to a burrow that does not include the job area.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13502 on: July 16, 2011, 07:42:54 am »

I'm trying to create a vault containing all the (useless) artifacts my (idiotic) dwarves.  Most of them are rock mugs, rings, crowns and statues, but I've got one that is a black zircon mug (i.e. an artifact made out of gemstone).

I've created stockpiles in my proposed vault (with bins disabled, so all the useless wonderful items are on display) - finished goods stockpiles, with only Artifact quality allowed.

My non-gemstone artifacts are now sitting there looking pretty.  However, I cannot figure out how to get my black zircon mug moved there.  It's not a finished good, apparently.  And it's not a gem, also apparently.  Any ideas, please?  :-\
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13503 on: July 16, 2011, 08:17:39 am »

can you test other mugs to see if they are indeed finished goods?  might just be a bug due to unusual material composition.  especially considering the "large gem bug"
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13504 on: July 16, 2011, 08:22:40 am »

My medical staff is seemingly ignoring the hospital supplies, prefering to walk across the entire fortress to grab a bit of thread from the cloth stockpiles, walk back the entire width and when they're done put it right back in the cloth stockpile all the way the other side.
It's horribly time cosnuming and my wounded are not getting treated quickly enough.

What gives? I know there's  bugs causing them to use the nearest possible supplies regardless of hospital supplies, but not using the hospital supplies wich are absolutely nearest to the patients is just absurd.

My hospital is stocked with everything but powder for casts, and has about 5 bins holding all of the supplies. None of it is forbidden and they will use it if I forbid every single piece of cloth and thread outside of the hospital.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13505 on: July 16, 2011, 08:28:11 am »

can you test other mugs to see if they are indeed finished goods?  might just be a bug due to unusual material composition.  especially considering the "large gem bug"

They are - one of my other artifacts is an andesite mug, and it's sitting in the vault stockpile quite happily.

Oh well - as you say, looks like it's a material issue.  Looks like it's going to sit in the jeweller's workshop for ever more (because it's not being accepted by any other stockpile either!)  Mind you, my jeweller made it, so maybe it's his work mug.

This is a black zircon mug.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  This object menaces with spikes of black zircon and is adorned with the motto "World's Best Dad".

Yeah, guess he can keep it.  Thanks though!  :)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13506 on: July 16, 2011, 09:19:06 am »

But what about the imports/exports, anyone know?

It's in the (c)ivilizations menu.

It's not. I have a screen that describes the hist figs of the civ and another that has Import value and offerings from my fort. Nothing else.
That's where the trade agreements go. There are three screens. "Historical Figures" "Imports/Exports" and "Trade agreements" If you have no agreements, then the third screen will show "You have no agreements with this land."

I just checked the screens. I have hist fig screen, imports and offerings (the amounts, NOT the deals) and the trade agreements screen only has the number 252 for both categories. So, either you're wrong or this screen is bugged.

EDIT: Cancel that, it seems the import/export screen can be opened there after all. Thanks for pointing me to it!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:21:18 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13507 on: July 16, 2011, 10:21:22 am »

bump, still trying to figure out why the medic is refusing to use the hospital supplies unless forced.

They're also not respecting the hospital supply limits, as you can see by the amount of soap stored.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And cloth to it seems. Might be closing in on the problem.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:27:28 am by Jelle »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13508 on: July 16, 2011, 11:18:48 am »

The problem is that hospital stocking jobs are generated all at once. Build your coffers in groups of one or two and they won't overstock by too much.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13509 on: July 16, 2011, 12:22:09 pm »

Yeah that'd solve that problem, but would it also stop the medic using stockpile goods rather then hospital supplies? Or are the goods in the stockpile regarded as medical supplies for some reason?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13510 on: July 16, 2011, 02:19:27 pm »

Doctors use whatever material is closest and available. This is usually the hospital supplies, but there could be something "closer".
If you want your doctors using the hospital supplies only, put them in a burrow.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13511 on: July 16, 2011, 02:33:59 pm »

The dwarf caravan and a siege arrived at the same time. The diplomat and all the merchants got mauled by trolls, so I went ahead and took the stuff. Will the caravan come normally next year?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13512 on: July 16, 2011, 02:48:23 pm »

The caravan will be back I think, since you're part of their civ they can't really get pissed off and ignire you or even wage war, so they'll just keep coming.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13513 on: July 16, 2011, 03:43:16 pm »

My medical staff is seemingly ignoring the hospital supplies, prefering to walk across the entire fortress to grab a bit of thread from the cloth stockpiles, walk back the entire width and when they're done put it right back in the cloth stockpile all the way the other side.
It's horribly time cosnuming and my wounded are not getting treated quickly enough.

What gives? I know there's  bugs causing them to use the nearest possible supplies regardless of hospital supplies, but not using the hospital supplies wich are absolutely nearest to the patients is just absurd.

My hospital is stocked with everything but powder for casts, and has about 5 bins holding all of the supplies. None of it is forbidden and they will use it if I forbid every single piece of cloth and thread outside of the hospital.

Wait, medical supplies in bins?  Do you mean coffers / chests / bags?

The hospital-use-restricted items that your doctors should use first should be sitting in containers that are sitting in your hospital zones.  No stockpile is required.  In fact stockpiles will encourage other dwarves to steal from your hospital and confuse your doctors.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13514 on: July 16, 2011, 04:59:41 pm »

No no hospital supplies in chests in the hospital zone, as they are supposed to be. But the medic is ignoring them and going for the cloth in a stockpile in the other end of the fortress.

I really want to get to the bottom of this, so I did more testing, sorry if it doesn't really fit in the little questions anymore, didn't think this would be so difficult to solve.

Anyway, I found some more 'bugged bins' like I had with the metal bars and stuff, bins from an old removed stockpile containing cloth thread and leather, not being hauled to any stockpile. I don't know if this is causing all these problems, I'm fixing it by dumping the contents of the bins so the goods can be placed correctly.

I also found some forbidden bins of cloth and thread amongst slain caravans. I claimed the goods in hopes that might fix the issue, I don't know if a hospital claims forbidden cloth or not.

Hope one of these was the culprit. I still have no idea what is causing the renmants of old stockpiles to become ignored as they are, it's a real pain in the ass having to manually remove them from their bin.
Pages: 1 ... 899 900 [901] 902 903 ... 1178