Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126416 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13485 on: July 15, 2011, 05:17:14 pm »

I made some waterfalls in the fortress, and they all drain down to one little channel leading into the caverns. Will a constant flow of water be enough to stop any flying beasts from pathing up through it?

Depends on how much water.  If they are also amphibious I think they may try to path through it no matter what the water level is, flow might push them back down, but there's all kinds of variables at play.  I guess what I'm saying is that it would probably be sufficient, but it would be a good idea to invest in a floor grate if you can manage it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13486 on: July 15, 2011, 05:21:46 pm »

Ok, thank you for the tip, but even so. NO ONE is carrying any bolt at all.

Fjords to Plowshares

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13487 on: July 15, 2011, 06:02:26 pm »

Are they carrying their quivers?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13488 on: July 15, 2011, 06:25:20 pm »

Ok, thank you for the tip, but even so. NO ONE is carrying any bolt at all.
getting the message "urist mcmarksdwarf cancels pickup equipment:  equipment mismatch"?

just wondering, do you have certain bolt types set for training, and others for battle?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13489 on: July 15, 2011, 06:54:49 pm »

No. They "use" silver bolts both from training and combat.
Now, I have quivers but they my not have it equipped.
How do I make them equip it?
I have they supplied with ammo in the military screen but they dont get the freakinsh bolts

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13490 on: July 15, 2011, 07:21:36 pm »

You could always just let the rats rot where they fall, but that causes miasma.

No, actually, it has not caused miasma for several versions now.  That was removed some time during DF2010.

The only disadvantages to leaving vermin corpses lying around are tidiness (purely in your mind -- the dwarves don't care), or wedging a door open so that it can't close.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13491 on: July 15, 2011, 07:28:27 pm »

Now, I have quivers but they my not have it equipped.
How do I make them equip it?

• Make sure the dwarves are actually assigned to a squad.
  • Make sure the squad has a leader.  This means a dwarf in the first position on the squad screen; that dwarf's title will be "militia captain" or "militia commander" (the latter only if the squad is also your first squad).
  • Make sure the squad has a uniform assignment, and that that uniform includes a crossbow ("ranged weapon" may also work, but I always use an explicit crossbow assignment).
  • Make sure you have enough crossbows and quivers for everyone.
  • Check (m)(e)(P) to see what uniform pieces have been assigned to each dwarf in the squad.  You should see both a crossbow and a quiver listed for each dwarf in the squad.  You will not see ammo here.
  • Check (m)(f) to see what ammo has been assigned to each squad.  Ammo assignments are squad-based, not dwarf-based.  Under the ASSIGNED column, scroll up and down and you should see green checkmarks by some of the ammo, which indicates that a dwarf has actually taken it.  Ammo with no checkmark is reserved for the squad but not currently being carried.

If the dwarves have equipment assigned but aren't grabbing it, try giving the squad a (m)ove order.  Doesn't matter where you tell them to go; this should poke them into grabbing their equipment, especially if they were not on duty.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13492 on: July 15, 2011, 08:27:07 pm »

Greycat, everything is there.
The quiver is not marked but they have in the inv. and in the Military Screen have greenboxes on the ammo
I dunno what to do dude!
In the past game I didn't had this problem.
Now every squad with archers I try to create don't work.

Darun009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13493 on: July 15, 2011, 09:07:30 pm »

Here the funny thing:
They are carrying.
BUT NOT SHOOTING.
...why?
I know how to order to attack but it simply dont work with theguys with the crossbows!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13494 on: July 15, 2011, 10:27:43 pm »

Can you attach a grate to a downward slope tile?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13495 on: July 15, 2011, 10:44:03 pm »

If I construct a ramp out of stone blocks in a lake, and come winter that lake freezes, will my ramp deconstruct itself?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13496 on: July 15, 2011, 10:55:45 pm »

Here the funny thing:
They are carrying.
BUT NOT SHOOTING.
...why?
I know how to order to attack but it simply dont work with theguys with the crossbows!
try a move order.  kill orders are a little bit unpredictable.  military dwarves attack any hostile they see until it or they are dead.
Can you attach a grate to a downward slope tile?
so long as it is supported, i think so.  a ramp up on the z below counts as a ramp down on the z you want to build the grate on, i think, and i remember installing my grate while i still had the worker access ramp, for my moat.

If I construct a ramp out of stone blocks in a lake, and come winter that lake freezes, will my ramp deconstruct itself?
it should remain, encased in ice.  you could mine out that tile, and see it.  when the ice melts, it should still be there.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13497 on: July 15, 2011, 10:59:45 pm »

Sweet.

I embarked to make an adventurer guild hall as a group of elves, and I ended up next to a really nice looking waterfall basin-thing. Figured I'd put some scaffolding down there and provide a ramp in for my adventurers.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13498 on: July 15, 2011, 11:26:34 pm »

Sometimes with archer problems, especially if you reassign bolts, is to remove the bolts assigned to the squad, dump the bolts in the quivers, reclaim them. Then mass forbid, them mass reclaim the bolt stockpile. It frees up bolts for reassignment. Reassign the bolts CT. Also check the stockpile quivers are in. They might also have bolts in them, that need to be dumped, then reclaimed.
 Figure that a archer will grab 25 metal or wooden bolts to fill a quiver. If you have 4 in a squad, assign them 100. When they shoot them up, will be assigned 100 more automatically.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13499 on: July 16, 2011, 03:32:47 am »

Build smelter is under build furnace which is under build.

To build a smelter you do "b"->"e"->"s"

I might be wrong about the s... the build furnace list is, like, six items long. You'll be able to see it.

Also, I have no clue why "e" is the hotkey for "furnace" when "f" is "cabinet"

<f>iling cabinet I'd guess.

<e>xothermic workshop?  That one's a real stretch.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 898 899 [900] 901 902 ... 1178