Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 896 897 [898] 899 900 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126380 times)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13455 on: July 15, 2011, 10:51:16 am »

Will magma flow off the edge of the map through fortifications carved into the edge of the map like water will?

Yes, I've done it.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #13456 on: July 15, 2011, 10:52:03 am »

Thanks.

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13457 on: July 15, 2011, 10:55:18 am »

So what you're saying is that my dream of a Fort with Giant Eagles (who are really cool if they would've tried flying) is now in smoke and ashes for that fact?

And that since they won't fly, it would be better to hold another type of animal; say some Black bears/ Grizzly bears instead?

I wouldn't go THAT far, but yes, there are obstacles in your plan, and it's going to be less dramatic than you've hoped.  If you want to make them breed faster, change [CLUTCH_SIZE:1:3] to, say, [CLUTCH_SIZE:6:10].  A small number of animal breed slowly but once you get up to around 15 they're more consistent.

Flying animals don't fly when tamed.  Sorry.  Yes, quite disappointing.  They're still not bad.  Just don't rule out other giant animals.

Grizzly bears are easy, and if I get a breeding pair I effectively replace dogs with them, which is fun.  I recommend doing that regardless of your other projects simply because it's so easy.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13458 on: July 15, 2011, 10:55:46 am »

I just got DFHack and I'm messing around with some of the options. Is there a way to unreveal the map after I reveal it? The DFUnreveal Utility seems to be implying that it reveals individual tiles, based on how it's worded.
When you use DFreveal, make sure DF is paused. When you open reveal, go back to DF, keep paused, then start looking at the levels, what stone/gem/magma/circus are on each level. When satisfied, follow instruction to exit DFreveal. Once exited, continue playing DF.
 (Warning: If DF is unpaused while reveal is running, you will get all the FUN you can handle)
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13459 on: July 15, 2011, 10:58:29 am »

How do I make a serrated disc trap. I have the disc already. But how do I put the launcher and how do they interact with the pressure plate?

It's not a disc launcher. It's more like a stationary buzzsaw. You don't need a pressure plate, just build a weapon trap.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13460 on: July 15, 2011, 11:14:43 am »

to duplicate a game in progress (so that i can safely abandon and read legends), all i have to do is copy and rename the region folder, right?

You don't have to worry about renaming. I have a folder somewhere away from all the DF stuff called "DF Backup" where I periodically copy all of my saves. Just open up both in File Viewer and drag the saves out of your DF saves folder, into your backup. If you want to reset it to how it was, DELETE the entry for the world in the DF Folder, and drag it over from your backup.
so, one more time so i do not screw up my best-yet-fortress just to look at legends -

if i overwrite my region folder with a backup, i will not lose anything?  i imagine the "current" folder is for temp data, as it is empty....
again, i copy "regionX" to a seperate location, load game, abandon, etc... and when done, i just overwrite "regionX" with "regionXBackup"?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13461 on: July 15, 2011, 12:19:46 pm »

A while ago, one of my dwarven children went into a strange mood. I know what this means, and things didn't turn out well after-wards because, when she failed to finish, she went berserk. Killed 2 other dwarfs and a hunting dog. What I'd like to know is, is there any way to make a dwarven child start if such a circumstance arrives, or are they doomed from the start?  And now that She's dead, should I claim the stuff she was carrying or will it get buried with her?

Also, how long does it take for a child to become an adult?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 12:22:28 pm by Miner49 »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13462 on: July 15, 2011, 12:24:33 pm »

A while ago, one of my dwarven children went into a strange mood. I know what this means, and things didn't turn out well afterwards because, when she failed to finish, she went berserk. Killed 2 other dwarfs and a hunting dog. What I'd like to know is, is there any way to make a dwarven child start if such a circumstance arrives, or are they doomed from the start?

Also, how long does it take for a child to become an adult?
children dont have skills, i think they'll only ever take over craftsdwarves workshops, but i could be very wrong.  the only way to make it 100% is the same as any mood, keep plenty of mood-required materials.  if you notice that they are not gathering materials or working on the artifact, use (q) tofind out what materials are needed.  the materials are listed in order, and missing one will block the collection of the rest.  no way to tell what they are going to want till they take over a workshop and fail to gather materials.

also, 12 years from birth to peasanthood.

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13463 on: July 15, 2011, 12:27:14 pm »

so, one more time so i do not screw up my best-yet-fortress just to look at legends -

if i overwrite my region folder with a backup, i will not lose anything?  i imagine the "current" folder is for temp data, as it is empty....
again, i copy "regionX" to a seperate location, load game, abandon, etc... and when done, i just overwrite "regionX" with "regionXBackup"?

Yes.

If you want to get comfortable with it, just copy one whole region folder.  Mess around with one copy a little bit.  Load up the other one.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13464 on: July 15, 2011, 12:34:16 pm »

Yes.

If you want to get comfortable with it, just copy one whole region folder.  Mess around with one copy a little bit.  Load up the other one.

thanks for the confirmation, makes me feel a little better.... well... here goes nothing....

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13465 on: July 15, 2011, 12:53:47 pm »

Okay, I'm probably just not seeing it, but where is the build smelter option?

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #13466 on: July 15, 2011, 01:13:55 pm »

Build smelter is under build furnace which is under build.

To build a smelter you do "b"->"e"->"s"

I might be wrong about the s... the build furnace list is, like, six items long. You'll be able to see it.

Also, I have no clue why "e" is the hotkey for "furnace" when "f" is "cabinet"

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13467 on: July 15, 2011, 01:28:03 pm »

Thanks :) There are a lot of sub-menu's, and My eyes are bad at searching for a particular word in list like it is.

Does DF update automatically when a new one is released? It's been about 4 updates since I got it, and I thought "Well, I'd better update it" but when I downloaded it, it turned out that a copy of that version already existed in the downloads folder, and the one from when I got it was gone.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13468 on: July 15, 2011, 01:38:29 pm »

How do I make a serrated disc trap. I have the disc already. But how do I put the launcher and how do they interact with the pressure plate?

Sadly, it's not as awesome as you think. It doesn't launch disks, they're on sort of spring-loaded arms. Build a weapon trap and fill it with serrated disks.
b - T - w.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

deodand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13469 on: July 15, 2011, 02:01:26 pm »

I am little confused about this refuse management thing. OK, I am able to create a functional garbage dump over a cliff, and they will throw them into the river if I manually order each bit of rat body to be tossed. I also can create the refuse stockpile, outside the fortress - yuck! And they will take the dead bodies there. But why? Why are they saving this rubbish?

Why won't they throw the useless rat bodies away, straight away? And keep the good stuff like turtles, and CLEAN THEM, so they don't rot...it is vastly confusing! Do I need a separate bone and animal stockpile? Is there some kind of way to not bother moving rat bodies from the food room to some outside stockpile and then to some dumpsite? I don't even pay this much attention to my own trash.  ???
Pages: 1 ... 896 897 [898] 899 900 ... 1178