Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 893 894 [895] 896 897 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126259 times)

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13410 on: July 14, 2011, 02:04:29 am »

But what about the imports/exports, anyone know?

Also, I have a high bridge suspended some 10 Z-levels above a pit with spikes. I'm putting traps on the bridge - are spiked balls likely to cause the enemies to fall?

1) I'd check, but my current fort is a mountainhome. If I had to guess, I'd be in the agreement screen of the civilization menu (select a civ, hit tab twice, and you're there)

2) Only if the enemy decides to dodge off the bridge. I'd go with large, serrated discs. That's three attacks they have a chance to dodge.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #13411 on: July 14, 2011, 02:07:28 am »

Also, I have a high bridge suspended some 10 Z-levels above a pit with spikes. I'm putting traps on the bridge - are spiked balls likely to cause the enemies to fall?

No idea about import/export.  I've never found out how.

As for the bridge, from what I recall reading here before, it should work, but you could also use wooden weapons if you only want enemies to die from the fall.  Me, I use a lever-activated retractable bridge and just drop them once everyone piles on.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13412 on: July 14, 2011, 02:12:05 am »

If I make a pump stack, do I need to get massive quantities of windmills to power them, or can a dwarf just pump on the top and power the whole thing?

Note: I can't just use perpetual motion, there's no water on my map except for 1-2 filled murky ponds right after it rains, and that evaporates almost immediately, especially during summer in which water is removed from murky pools immediately anyway. Not even in the caverns. No clue why there's no water in the caverns. (At least layer 1 and 2, but pumping water up from 3 would be counterintuitive anyway because the magma source I'm using is also in cavern layer 3 and I could just skip the water and pump the magma)

OK, if you get any rainfall at all, here's what I suggest:

Build a channel in the middle of your pond, and remove slope, repeat until there is a channel several tiles deep.  Then dig across a few tiles.  Build a Floodgate, link it to a lever, then a wall, then cut fortifications into it, then build a second floodgate and link it to a *different* lever, and then build a cistern with stairs.  Put a grate at the top.

Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWW
WSCXFXPW
WWWWWWWW

W = natural rock walls
S = stairs
C = Cistern
X = Floodgates
F = constructed wall with fortifications cut into it
P = Pond hole

Basically what will hopefully happen is that the little dribbles of water you see will fall down into the hole and build up in the hole under the pond to a point high enough that you can start slowly siphoning it off by cycling the floodgates.  You want at least one constructed wall fortification to keep out building destroyers while still allowing water in.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 02:38:35 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13413 on: July 14, 2011, 02:17:12 am »

As for the bridge, from what I recall reading here before, it should work, but you could also use wooden weapons if you only want enemies to die from the fall.  Me, I use a lever-activated retractable bridge and just drop them once everyone piles on.

I have the combination approach - bridge and traps. I'm just a bit short on metals, and I'd like to balance for this by making my weapon traps occasionally fling enemies into pits. But as long as they die someway, I don't care.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13414 on: July 14, 2011, 02:17:38 am »

Dodging causes the enemies to fall - they will frequently try to dodge anything, so the type of weapon trap isn't terribly important if you just want them to fall.  Menacing spikes are the least likely to jam up and fail to reset, I think.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13415 on: July 14, 2011, 02:23:33 am »

And aren't menacing spikes rather effective even if made out of wood? Or is it only when used on upright spike traps?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13416 on: July 14, 2011, 02:26:45 am »

Wooden menacing spikes are indeed rather effective... if you have them in an upright spike trap connected to a repeating pulled lever. I couldn't imagine them being very useful outside of that, the majority of the first couple pages of the trap combat report with goblins is them blocking/having stuff be deflected by their armor, so... I'd still go with the large, serrated discs, honestly.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13417 on: July 14, 2011, 02:32:18 am »

Wooden menacing spikes are indeed rather effective... if you have them in an upright spike trap connected to a repeating pulled lever. I couldn't imagine them being very useful outside of that, the majority of the first couple pages of the trap combat report with goblins is them blocking/having stuff be deflected by their armor, so... I'd still go with the large, serrated discs, honestly.

Haven't got any metal, but the next caravan should bring steel. Until that, it's cages, spike traps, the bridge and wooden balls (the best wooden trap component, I think). Should be enough until I get those bars.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13418 on: July 14, 2011, 02:33:55 am »

I have the combination approach - bridge and traps. I'm just a bit short on metals, and I'd like to balance for this by making my weapon traps occasionally fling enemies into pits. But as long as they die someway, I don't care.

Pressurized water to push stuff off the bridge?  no weapons or metal at all :)

Basically create a perpetual motion machine to power a whole bunch of pumps, and put the pumps behind a bunch of doors.

Code: [Select]
BBBBBBBBBBBBBB
BBBBBBBBBBBBBB
WWDDDDDDDDDDWW
WWPPPPPPPPPPWW
WWPPPPPPPPPPWW
WWGGGGGGGGGG=====> perpetual motion powersource

. = open space
B = Bridge / Ledge
W = wall
D = doors all linked to pressure plates and/or levers
P = constantly running pumps forcing water against doors.
G = gears for power , sitting over the Grates allowing the pumps to pull water.

==== horizontal axle to gear behind perpetual power device
P = screw pumps

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13419 on: July 14, 2011, 02:35:40 am »

Ah, I usually go with glass large, serrated discs because metal ones are a waste of metal (except for the Scenario of Prison, my artifact iron large, serrated disc, it's amazing at lopping off troll limbs, I don't want to know what inspired the weaponsmith to name it that, though)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13420 on: July 14, 2011, 02:37:59 am »

Ah, I usually go with glass large, serrated discs because metal ones are a waste of metal (except for the Scenario of Prison, my artifact iron large, serrated disc, it's amazing at lopping off troll limbs, I don't want to know what inspired the weaponsmith to name it that, though)

So, glass isn't hopeless anymore? I thought it had hard time penetrating armor.

And this one time I had to embark in a sandless region!

At least I've got clay. What can I even use that for? Free stone for wall is great, but can you construct mechanisms out of clay?

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13421 on: July 14, 2011, 02:42:53 am »

Glass isn't amazing, but thirty attacks happening simultaneously is pretty dangerous no matter what the material (especially if it is a masterwork, and as such really pointy)

As for clay, clay is useful in ceramics. Ceramics are not useful in anything violence related.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13422 on: July 14, 2011, 02:46:55 am »

As for clay, clay is useful in ceramics. Ceramics are not useful in anything violence related.

Glass seems to be pretty much better at everything then. Except that one can create buildings from clay without any fuel at all.

Actually, I think clay might even redefine the surface fort idea. No need to worry about materials!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13423 on: July 14, 2011, 03:10:55 am »

Glass isn't amazing, but thirty attacks happening simultaneously is pretty dangerous no matter what the material (especially if it is a masterwork, and as such really pointy)

Catapult ammo?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13424 on: July 14, 2011, 03:21:07 am »

Catapult ammo?

If that works and catapults were any good, that'd be awesome.

But I'm still satisfied with clay. I'd just be happier if I had glass.
Pages: 1 ... 893 894 [895] 896 897 ... 1178