Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 892 893 [894] 895 896 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126261 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13395 on: July 13, 2011, 09:41:05 pm »

Since I can't use goblins as an exportable resource in DF2010, is there any point whatsoever in moving the bodies when they die outdoors?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13396 on: July 13, 2011, 10:10:07 pm »

Since I can't use goblins as an exportable resource in DF2010, is there any point whatsoever in moving the bodies when they die outdoors?
neatness counts i suppose.  i also forget the rules about decomposition into usable bones.  you might want to look into that.

i have a big bunch of corpse stockpiles bordering the road to my main entrance, just to show invaders what awaits them.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13397 on: July 13, 2011, 10:14:49 pm »

neatness counts i suppose.  i also forget the rules about decomposition into usable bones.  you might want to look into that.

i have a big bunch of corpse stockpiles bordering the road to my main entrance, just to show invaders what awaits them.

AFAIK it takes years for sentients to decay from skeletons into usable bones.

That said, I prefer to move them away from the killing ground- it makes it easier to account the dead, and in the past I have tragically underestimated an invading goblin force because I thought a macesquad was actually the remains of the last siege. Carelessness on my part, yes, but better safe than sorry.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13398 on: July 13, 2011, 10:15:49 pm »

Other than to toss them down the magma chute?
Not that I can think of.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13399 on: July 13, 2011, 10:35:46 pm »

I've been leaving the dead outside, just because there are so many more than I could ever stockpile.  Get a few new goblin bones every season, just have to unforbid them.  Stacks of two or three only.  I think it has to do with whether a particular part has any cartilage in it or now.  If there's no cartilage, the actual decomposition seems to happen pretty rapidly.  Not sure which parts are the useful parts though.

My bone carver's happy to use the goblin bones, once they're in bone stacks.  Get few enough, though, that I save them for moods.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13400 on: July 13, 2011, 10:46:06 pm »

can forgotten beasts leave the map?

and can gear assemblies attacked to things below them
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:00:02 pm by MrShovelFace »

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13401 on: July 14, 2011, 12:20:38 am »

yes, they can leave the map, and also teleport to the surface when an adventurer visits the abandoned fort. Nastiness insues
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13402 on: July 14, 2011, 12:28:55 am »

You might want to atom smash them for a possible FPS benefit if there's a lot of them.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13403 on: July 14, 2011, 12:30:17 am »

can gear assemblies attach to things below them

To other gear assemblies, pumps, or vertical axles, yes.

Vertical axles being in the Z dimension, straight out the screen.

You might want to atom smash them for a possible FPS benefit if there's a lot of them.

I don't have that many of them YET. I will once I have the military actually bloody functioning and I've turned invasions back on.
Little bearded gits won't train properly.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13404 on: July 14, 2011, 01:15:30 am »

No one's answered yet, is there a way to view import/export deals after signing them?

EDIT: And is there a way to see which dead dwarves still don't have slabs/tombs?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:21:32 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #13405 on: July 14, 2011, 01:40:14 am »

And is there a way to see which dead dwarves still don't have slabs/tombs?

Hit "u" then scroll either up through alllll the dead critters, or down through everything alive to the section of dead stuff devoted to dwarves, if when you hit "v" and the holdings of the deceased person isn't "grave" then they don't have a grave. I dunno about slabs because everyone I've memorialized in this fort ended up getting buried later anyway.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13406 on: July 14, 2011, 01:43:33 am »

I guess I could just wait until they start haunting me...

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #13407 on: July 14, 2011, 01:45:07 am »

That's the way I do it  :P

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13408 on: July 14, 2011, 01:48:54 am »

But what about the imports/exports, anyone know?

Also, I have a high bridge suspended some 10 Z-levels above a pit with spikes. I'm putting traps on the bridge - are spiked balls likely to cause the enemies to fall?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13409 on: July 14, 2011, 01:51:38 am »

Yep dumping the gems but not the bins (and the bars and not the bins for  that matter) did the trick. Cheers

Now I made a soap stockpile and they're moving the bar/block bins containing iron and coke there, what stockpile misery, I can understand the benefit if one big pile that accepts all goods now.  :(

Dwarves will commonly move things to bins before moving the bins to the correct stockpile, if there's no empty bin in the stockpile they want to put things in, and an empty bin in a different stockpile.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 892 893 [894] 895 896 ... 1178