Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126208 times)

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13380 on: July 13, 2011, 01:48:54 pm »

The old stockpile is gone, it's just bins sitting there.

Dump the bins and gems, then after they are moved to the garbage zone, undump the gems and see if they get pulled out of the bins.  Failing that:

1) If they are uncut gems, leave them where they are (without a stockpile) and cut them.  They should get cut, then carried to your cut gem storage.

2) If they are cut gems, encrust stuff with them until they are gone.

If they won't cut or encrust, might want to save the game and put it on dffd then go to mantis to report it.

Or, you could dump the gems, but not the bins. They should yank them out to take them to the zone.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #13381 on: July 13, 2011, 01:49:45 pm »

Carp are not as dangerous as ye-olde carps of yore, and their biggest strength (idiots jumping in the water trying to dodge) is canceled out by the brook's psuedofloor.

More on carp: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Carp

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13382 on: July 13, 2011, 01:55:43 pm »

you can A) give swiming lessons or B) shoot the fish
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13383 on: July 13, 2011, 02:03:40 pm »

Yep dumping the gems but not the bins (and the bars and not the bins for  that matter) did the trick. Cheers

Now I made a soap stockpile and they're moving the bar/block bins containing iron and coke there, what stockpile misery, I can understand the benefit if one big pile that accepts all goods now.  :(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:09:35 pm by Jelle »

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13384 on: July 13, 2011, 02:50:15 pm »

If I make a pump stack, do I need to get massive quantities of windmills to power them, or can a dwarf just pump on the top and power the whole thing?

Note: I can't just use perpetual motion, there's no water on my map except for 1-2 filled murky ponds right after it rains, and that evaporates almost immediately, especially during summer in which water is removed from murky pools immediately anyway. Not even in the caverns. No clue why there's no water in the caverns. (At least layer 1 and 2, but pumping water up from 3 would be counterintuitive anyway because the magma source I'm using is also in cavern layer 3 and I could just skip the water and pump the magma)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13385 on: July 13, 2011, 03:27:50 pm »

When a dwarf powers a pump, he only provides power to that pump and not anything else connected to it.  To power a pump stack you need to either have a dwarf on each pump in the stack, or use a wind or water power source.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13386 on: July 13, 2011, 04:40:41 pm »

Two questions.

Will miasma escape from a zombie trapped in a terrarium?

Is hereditary transfer of nobility working right now?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13387 on: July 13, 2011, 04:42:15 pm »

so...i've got object to be melt.
i designated them.
the melters come.
melt a few.
stops because "no other objects to be melted"
objected to be melted still stay.
no burrow or forbiddance effected.

second thing:
i've got accessible flux stone, iron and pig iron...but the steel reaction doesn't show up...why?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13388 on: July 13, 2011, 04:44:59 pm »

so...i've got object to be melt.
i designated them.
the melters come.
melt a few.
stops because "no other objects to be melted"
objected to be melted still stay.
no burrow or forbiddance effected.

second thing:
i've got accessible flux stone, iron and pig iron...but the steel reaction doesn't show up...why?

1) Owned objects and carried items won't be melted.  I believe melt also respects "dwarves ignore outside refuse" orders, if you have that enabled.

2) Do you have charcoal or coke?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13389 on: July 13, 2011, 04:53:55 pm »

Two questions.

Will miasma escape from a zombie trapped in a terrarium?

Is hereditary transfer of nobility working right now?

1) It escapes out of cages, and I'm reasonably sure terrariums are just glass cages.

2) I dunno.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13390 on: July 13, 2011, 05:32:25 pm »

Yeah, I had them in a locked room, but I did leave the male roaming free in the room with them. I'll try putting him in his own room next.  What can make the mother bird leave the nest box?

Most commonly, from what little I've seen, it would be another creature bumping into her.  But if these two birds were the only creatures in the locked room, I don't know what the odds of that happening are.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13391 on: July 13, 2011, 07:45:08 pm »

do screw pumps block motion / liquids

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13392 on: July 13, 2011, 07:55:57 pm »

do screw pumps block motion / liquids
Only on the outlet side.  It's indicated by a darker "X" when placing it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13393 on: July 13, 2011, 08:04:46 pm »

I've finally decided to set up a glass industry for the first time. I know more or less how it works, but I have a problem with sand collection zones.
See I've breached the caverns and moss automatically grows on my underground sand tiles. I can't have this if it has to serve as a collection zone.
So how do I go about making sure I have acces to the sand, apart from pasturing grazing animals, the ocasional fire to burn all that moss and trampling?

Also what are mr potato heads or whatever it was you were talking about?  :o

designate a tree to be cut or plants to be gathered in your sand collection zone.  doing either one returns the tile worked back into sand.  as sand collection is a "zone", you can not place a pasture or meeting hall over it, but you CAN build a piece of furniture and designate THAT as a meeting hall.  dwarves, as you might have noticed, have a chance of killing grass/fungus as they walk over it.

i do a bit of work with glass, whenever i need sand, i just chop a tree or gather wild plants first.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13394 on: July 13, 2011, 08:34:16 pm »

I've finally decided to set up a glass industry for the first time. I know more or less how it works, but I have a problem with sand collection zones.
See I've breached the caverns and moss automatically grows on my underground sand tiles. I can't have this if it has to serve as a collection zone.
So how do I go about making sure I have acces to the sand, apart from pasturing grazing animals, the ocasional fire to burn all that moss and trampling?

Also what are mr potato heads or whatever it was you were talking about?  :o

designate a tree to be cut or plants to be gathered in your sand collection zone.  doing either one returns the tile worked back into sand.  as sand collection is a "zone", you can not place a pasture or meeting hall over it, but you CAN build a piece of furniture and designate THAT as a meeting hall.  dwarves, as you might have noticed, have a chance of killing grass/fungus as they walk over it.

i do a bit of work with glass, whenever i need sand, i just chop a tree or gather wild plants first.
Stockpiles also prevent the growth of plants and still allow you to harvest clay, so it should work with sand.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 1178