Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 890 891 [892] 893 894 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126202 times)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13365 on: July 13, 2011, 08:35:48 am »

I'm having real problems with my giant eagle farm. In almost twenty fortress years, I've only managed to hatch 3 eagles.

I got a breeding pair from the elves, got them nest boxes, put them in a room behind a locked door (using pen/pasture) and forbid the eggs. I've set [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] in both the primary directory and the individual save directory.

The problem is, I've only had one set of eggs hatch; it took 6 months (I was watching closely and wrote down when the eggs were laid). I've had 'em sit on the eggs for as long as two years without anything hatching, multiple times. I've tried using only masterwork nest boxes. But it's been seven game years since I got that first clutch to hatch, with no further giant eagle hatchlings. My original breeding pair has died of old age (I still have a male and a female from the one clutch that did hatch).
 What could I be doing wrong? I'm down to trying things like slaughtering all my peacocks in the hope that will free up "bird" slots or something.

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13366 on: July 13, 2011, 09:19:24 am »

Back on the leather wear question - it sounds like any leather armor that can be replaced with metal does not wear, while any that can't be replaced by metal does.  Sound right?

Are clowns and Mr. Potato Heads (ie. beware its clip-on mustache!) hostile to each other?  I heard a story about large bronze statues fighting clowns.  Also, if I get multiple Mr. Potato Heads in an area, will they attack each other? (seems the answer is no)  Therefore, could I store a large bag of potatoes to take with me to the circus?  Seems like a dwarven idea.

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #13367 on: July 13, 2011, 09:31:13 am »

Just remember that the potatoes have 1.1 volts of energy in them and that may very well be enough to allow them to take over your fort's systems and make you do !!SCIENCE!! against your will.

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13368 on: July 13, 2011, 09:38:43 am »

I'm a bit confused as to how potatoes have energy and why it would lead to french fries.  But I think I've brought this metaphor upon myself.

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #13369 on: July 13, 2011, 10:16:15 am »

Well, many forts have complex mechanical innerworkings that can be activated and controlled by nothing but the energy that a noble can put out (which is equivalent to 1.1 volts of electrical energy), and the potatoes may very well activate the mechanisms controlling the aforementioned innerworkings by way of being put onto the levers.

In fact many of the potatoes may be willing to release your neurotox magma reserves into your fort, only leaving a few specific test subjects alive so that the potatoes may do !!SCIENCE!!.

This fate fell upon a certain fort known as "Apperture !!SCIENCE!!" founded by a well-respected dwarf known as "Cavern" Johnston who died in a horrible !!Lemon!! based accident a few months before the potatoes took over.

Note: It was mostly a reference to Portal 2, if you don't get it, play Portal 2 again.

Question: What did you mean by potatoes anyway?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13370 on: July 13, 2011, 11:51:32 am »

I've finally decided to set up a glass industry for the first time. I know more or less how it works, but I have a problem with sand collection zones.
See I've breached the caverns and moss automatically grows on my underground sand tiles. I can't have this if it has to serve as a collection zone.
So how do I go about making sure I have acces to the sand, apart from pasturing grazing animals, the ocasional fire to burn all that moss and trampling?

Also what are mr potato heads or whatever it was you were talking about?  :o
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:53:14 am by Jelle »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13371 on: July 13, 2011, 12:08:15 pm »

I've finally decided to set up a glass industry for the first time. I know more or less how it works, but I have a problem with sand collection zones.
See I've breached the caverns and moss automatically grows on my underground sand tiles. I can't have this if it has to serve as a collection zone.
So how do I go about making sure I have access to the sand, apart from pasturing grazing animals, the ocasional fire to burn all that moss and trampling?

Also what are mr potato heads or whatever it was you were talking about?  :o

I'm afraid I do not know of any other way to discourage moss from overgrowing your subterranean sand. In my forts I tend to have my sand collection zones in places with high dwarven foot traffic- they trample the grass/moss and prevent it from growing back. If that isn't an option, my only other advice would be to make your sand collection areas as large as possible, so it takes longer for the moss to overgrow it- that way you spend less time starting fires and more time doing whatever all else you feel like.

Mr. Potato Head is an oblique reference to Forgotten Beasts- much like a Mr. Potato Head, FB's tend to be amalgamations of parts stuck on a random body instead of a cohesive whole.

Are clowns and Mr. Potato Heads (ie. beware its clip-on mustache!) hostile to each other?  I heard a story about large bronze statues fighting clowns.  Also, if I get multiple Mr. Potato Heads in an area, will they attack each other? (seems the answer is no)  Therefore, could I store a large bag of potatoes to take with me to the circus?  Seems like a dwarven idea.

I do not actually know one way or another, but I suspect it to be true. I know FB's, Megabeasts, Demons, Animals etc. will not attack others of their own kind- I THINK that the way loyalties work you should be able to pit them against one another. Try it and find out- I suspect the Potato Heads will be easily vanquished by the Clowns. FOR SCIENCE!!

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13372 on: July 13, 2011, 12:40:11 pm »

Try furrowing the sand by building dirt roads on it.  Not sure if that will work but if it does it would be the most convenient solution.

What works for certain is designating a grazing area and putting your grazers there.  You can count on at least a few squares to be moss-free at all times.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13373 on: July 13, 2011, 01:07:20 pm »

Nope sand can't be furrowed.

I think I'll use my lignite to keep the place clear of the damn moss. Make a lignite floor or some such and spawn some magma on it.

But now I'm running in a different problem:

I had a stockpile somewhere, bar block stockpile with some coke and a few iron bars. Right now  though I have a new stockpile, one accepting coke and charcoal (any fuel) bars, and another accepting metal  bars among other goods.
But they're refusing to get the goods from the old stockpile out of the bins and place them in the new stockpile. I'd really love to keep my iron stockade I've piled up before I made the new stockpile.

I'm also having a similar problem with my gem stockpile, one old pile with a few bins accepting all gems, two new stockpile one accepting rough gems,  the other cut gems among other goods, and they won't haul the gems in the old bins to the new stockpiles.

Any ideas?

I'll post a quick pic to elaborate in a moment.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:13:52 pm by Jelle »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13374 on: July 13, 2011, 01:11:09 pm »

I got a breeding pair from the elves, got them nest boxes, put them in a room behind a locked door (using pen/pasture) and forbid the eggs. I've set [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] in both the primary directory and the individual save directory.

The problem is, I've only had one set of eggs hatch

If the mother bird leaves the nest box at any time during the incubation, the eggs will never hatch.  So make sure she's completely undisturbed.  You may want to put her in a locked room by herself, with the male bird separately pastured/confined.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

petebull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13375 on: July 13, 2011, 01:12:02 pm »

I'm also having a similar problem with my gem stockpile, one old pile with a few bins accepting all gems, two new stockpile one accepting rough gems,  the other cut gems among other goods, and they won't haul the gems in the old bins to the new stockpiles.

Any ideas?

I don't know for sure, but try to disable bins in the old stockpiles

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13376 on: July 13, 2011, 01:14:18 pm »

The old stockpile is gone, it's just bins sitting there.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13377 on: July 13, 2011, 01:14:54 pm »

If the mother bird leaves the nest box at any time during the incubation, the eggs will never hatch.  So make sure she's completely undisturbed.  You may want to put her in a locked room by herself, with the male bird separately pastured/confined.

Yeah, I had them in a locked room, but I did leave the male roaming free in the room with them. I'll try putting him in his own room next.  What can make the mother bird leave the nest box?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13378 on: July 13, 2011, 01:19:11 pm »

The old stockpile is gone, it's just bins sitting there.

Dump the bins and gems, then after they are moved to the garbage zone, undump the gems and see if they get pulled out of the bins.  Failing that:

1) If they are uncut gems, leave them where they are (without a stockpile) and cut them.  They should get cut, then carried to your cut gem storage.

2) If they are cut gems, encrust stuff with them until they are gone.

If they won't cut or encrust, might want to save the game and put it on dffd then go to mantis to report it.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13379 on: July 13, 2011, 01:38:10 pm »

I'm thinking of making my fort entrance a brook. I'm worried about carps. Can carps kill somebody walking on brook? blood spreading down the river after sieges would be so damn sweet
Pages: 1 ... 890 891 [892] 893 894 ... 1178