Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126144 times)

Jack Dandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13350 on: July 13, 2011, 03:36:11 am »

1.In a costume stockpile, where is the "Metal Strands" option?

2. When assigning uniforms, what's considered as a "Full" metal armor? Do armors' strength stack if you put a couple of them on? Do you need to equip a breastplate WITH a mail shirt?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13351 on: July 13, 2011, 03:50:01 am »

1.In a costume stockpile, where is the "Metal Strands" option?

I think they're considered to be thread, but I'm not sure at all.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jack Dandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13352 on: July 13, 2011, 04:09:16 am »

Hey, it is! Thanks! Still need an answer for the uniform question though.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13353 on: July 13, 2011, 04:40:36 am »

Not sure... I think you can wear armor over clothes, but not multiple armors.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13354 on: July 13, 2011, 04:44:55 am »

I can never remember how many of what armor is the best protection, but there are a few hundred places to find that info.  A LOT of people ask that question.

Some armors do layer, but plate types do not.  Cloaks definitely layer, for example.

I rarely ever build militaries myself anymore, they were made too complex for me to want to fool with them when 2010 released.  I just use traps now.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13355 on: July 13, 2011, 04:46:02 am »

Cloaks definitely layer, for example.

Aren't cloaks technically clothing, not actual armor?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13356 on: July 13, 2011, 05:11:26 am »

Cloaks definitely layer, for example.

Aren't cloaks technically clothing, not actual armor?

I believe cloaks are the only equipment that protects fingers.  Somehow.  Hoods are the only thing that protects the neck if I recall, thoug cloaks might also protect the neck.  I know there are a couple of weird armor pieces though.  Others that know more about armor can surely clarify, though I'm hoping someone will sticky an armor information link page or something soon.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13357 on: July 13, 2011, 05:12:55 am »

Cloaks - Cover most of the body, they can deflect light weapons like training spears so wear great cloaks if you plan training in the "room". They can ONLY be made from cloth/leather, it is CLOTHING but make it from leather, leather beats cloth/silk in protection.
Breastplate + Mail Shirt - Currently, this is how it should be but in the vanilla DF, you can wear about 3 mail shirts and a plate, if you wear more than 1 mail shirt, you  have more chances to block/ cause glancing blows against that particular armor, it also lowers speed by weight but nothing is perfect unless you use that nice blue stone. (Not microcline)

In the wiki, it shows how much of the body armor covers, for me I guess that one mail shirt, breastplate, greaves, a pair of gauntlets and high boots, a helm and cap and a masterwork leather cloak are the standard armor for a dwarf.

Also, someone should re-edit the wiki, some parts are blurry in details. Mostly on what exactly protects what.

Hope I helped by any way.

My questions:
1. How do dwarves actually get crutches if they have a "lost ability to stand" in the hospital, do they still need diagnosis and also, what job is used for that in giving the wounded the crutch?

2. In a map with freezy rivers/brooks, I would want to make a working indoor waterfall, is it possible to create a reservoir, make a tiny 1x1 tunnel for the water to pass downwards and then pump it all back up and recycle the water so its like a circular cycle?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:32:40 am by Tiruin »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13358 on: July 13, 2011, 06:55:24 am »

On flying enemies, by the way, I read somewhere that they'll try to path in the fortress through normal routes first, and only fly if those are for whatever reason blocked. Is this right?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13359 on: July 13, 2011, 07:24:55 am »

According to the Wiki, it'll display only the top 8 layers.

That's for an older version.  In 0.31.25, you don't get to see any of the layers.  But you get the "deep metal" indicator as a partial compensation, I suppose.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13360 on: July 13, 2011, 07:26:09 am »

According to the Wiki, it'll display only the top 8 layers.

That's for an older version.  In 0.31.25, you don't get to see any of the layers.  But you get the "deep metal" indicator as a partial compensation, I suppose.

Does this mean that my site which had neither of the metal indicators contains no metals at all?

Goblinite to the rescue, I'd reckon.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13361 on: July 13, 2011, 07:27:47 am »

Mild curiosity. Would turning gold into coins increase their value? What would be the best craft to make? Value to effort...
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13362 on: July 13, 2011, 07:33:18 am »

9.  Do !!lignite floor grates!! eventually burn away?
No. They lack a melting point, which is the key feature for burning away IIRC.
No.  They will burn away.  Burning away happens by wear, not by melting.  A flammable object which lacks a melting point will eventually burn away, it will just take a while.  Artifacts burn forever because they can't wear, not because they can't melt.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #13363 on: July 13, 2011, 07:47:39 am »

Mild curiosity. Would turning gold into coins increase their value? What would be the best craft to make? Value to effort...

Coins don't have quality levels, and a stack is worth 10*Material, so the only point of them is to say "hey, I got coins, go me!"

I can't say I know the perfect thing to make, but I know that a masterwork gold statue is worth 9000, but I've had prepared meals worth more than that that didn't weigh more than 1k Urists. Honestly gold is better for paving roads than for making stuff unless you adamantly refuse to use prepared meals as your main trade good.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13364 on: July 13, 2011, 07:49:16 am »

Coins aren't currently useful (or valuable AFAIK) at all. The Wiki's value page shows the object values - I think mechanism is the most valuable thing you can make out of gold (native only, though).
Pages: 1 ... 889 890 [891] 892 893 ... 1178