Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126166 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13335 on: July 12, 2011, 05:18:27 pm »

13.  Does leather armor wear?  How about leather cloaks/hoods/etc?
For leather, armour items may be helms, boots, leggings (I'm pretty sure), and specifically "leather armor". Anything else is a clothing item.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13336 on: July 12, 2011, 05:22:51 pm »

13.  Does leather armor wear?  How about leather cloaks/hoods/etc?
For leather, armour items may be helms, boots, leggings (I'm pretty sure), and specifically "leather armor". Anything else is a clothing item.

i'm not sure, but i think i remember seeing wear on my leggings, at least.  traded a bunch of junk away last night, and wasent really paying attention.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13337 on: July 12, 2011, 05:28:26 pm »

3.  Can I count on dwarves with cleaning enabled to keep that area clean?

Nobody seemed to mention yet that dwarves will not clean any areas that are aboveground.  Underground is a low priority, but aboveground won't be cleaned at all.

I'm also of the belief that leather armor, and helms won't wear.  Leggings also shouldn't because they have the raw tags that prevent it, but I never paid much attention either.

Those leather items CAN technically still wear from other damage though, like exceeding heat tolerances and stuff.  Just not from normal use like regular clothing items do.  And heat damage is exceedingly rare without the involvement of dragons and fire imps and such, so it's usually not an issue.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #13338 on: July 12, 2011, 06:54:03 pm »

Can artifact doors be destroyed by a building destroyer?

I have a dog bone door artifact. Made of nothing but dog bone, there's only the free decoration that comes with it too.

It's worth 2400 and as such, is basically worthless.

From what I've read, nothing can destroy artifacts (not even being a !!lignite floor grate!! for decades on end), so if I put that door somewhere would building destroyers just stare at it forever, failing miserably to do anything to it while the traps they just stepped on recharge and hit them again? (Instead of cage traps like a normal building destroyer trap, because that would be funnier)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13339 on: July 12, 2011, 06:57:31 pm »

I don't believe so, but even if they can then it would just deconstruct.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13340 on: July 12, 2011, 11:06:21 pm »

From what I've read, nothing can destroy artifacts (not even being a !!lignite floor grate!! for decades on end), so if I put that door somewhere would building destroyers just stare at it forever, failing miserably to do anything to it while the traps they just stepped on recharge and hit them again? (Instead of cage traps like a normal building destroyer trap, because that would be funnier)

I've actually just done some testing with this.  With an artifact hatch, actually.

I placed the artifact hatch right outside my entrance-- it didn't actually cover any kind of hole or stairway, I just wanted to see how building destroyers would interact with it.  A giantess came, and all of my dwarves were inside.  She pathed up to the hatch cover (actually, 2 tiles away, rather than adjacent) and stood there, despite the fact that my front doors were open.  The hatch was undamaged, and never deconstructed.  She stood at the hatch cover until I sent out a militia, at which point she started chasing the militia, rather than caring about the hatch door.  So yeah, artifact furniture makes perfect building destroyer bait.  Not sure what would happen if nearby squares were spiked, though.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13341 on: July 12, 2011, 11:26:21 pm »

9.  Do !!lignite floor grates!! eventually burn away?
No. They lack a melting point, which is the key feature for burning away IIRC.

14.  Do I need to queue two mitten jobs and two boot jobs per armored dwarf?
I don't think so.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13342 on: July 13, 2011, 12:48:37 am »

How do I assign a squad to defend burrows? Is the only way to do this via the schedule? Because, I want my soldiers to train normally, but if an enemy enters that burrow I want them to defend it, meaning I'd have to give them two orders per month, which doesn't seem to be possible (is it?): train and defend burrow.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13343 on: July 13, 2011, 12:51:53 am »

Yeah, they can't do both at once.

You can give them an alert status, making it a simple matter for you to switch them from training to defend, but you still have to keep your eyes open that way.

Another option is to train them where you want them to defend.  Soldiers on training duty will engage invaders that they run into.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13344 on: July 13, 2011, 12:52:22 am »

How do I assign a squad to defend burrows? Is the only way to do this via the schedule? Because, I want my soldiers to train normally, but if an enemy enters that burrow I want them to defend it, meaning I'd have to give them two orders per month, which doesn't seem to be possible (is it?): train and defend burrow.

I think it's 'm'ilitary -> 'a'lerts screen.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13345 on: July 13, 2011, 02:10:37 am »

I'm not exactly good on Dwarven Geology. I've mined about ~100 tiles from six levels now and I've only found chert, granite and limestone (that's two good mass building stones and flux, yay). No metals. Relying on goblinite won't be a problem, but I'd like to know what are my chances of finding ores - is my entire site likely to be full of plain rock?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13346 on: July 13, 2011, 02:16:18 am »

It depends.  It's possible.  Typically, when you choose a site to embark to, it will let you know if there is shallow ore, deep ore, or both.  If you've only gone 6 z-levels down, then you would only have had the chance to discover shallow ore.

Rock changes greatly, depending more on your depth than on your position on the x,y plane.  Dig deeper, young dwarf!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13347 on: July 13, 2011, 02:20:24 am »

It didn't say ore at all. According to the Wiki, it'll display only the top 8 layers. So maybe I should dig deeper to find some. I think I'll do well with goblinite, though, and my crutch industry is booming.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13348 on: July 13, 2011, 02:25:42 am »

It'll display the first 8 layers of stone/soil.  In my experience, deep ore lies deeper than 8 layers.  Of course, that was with a different version.

I suspect that if it didn't say shallow ore or deep ore, that you may be on an oreless map.  Nevertheless, you are correct: should goblins exist, that doesn't mean you have to play without steel!

Best of luck on a challenging embark.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13349 on: July 13, 2011, 02:33:29 am »

Shouldn't be challenging at all otherwise. The resources are really abundant - more wood than I'd need and lots of rock for building. I have abundant trade goods waiting to be traded for metals next Autumn, and my Goblinite extractor is nearly finished. So I'm set up fairly well despite the lack of metals (near surface, at least).

Oh, is there a way to view import/export agreements after signed?
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 1178