Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126051 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13305 on: July 11, 2011, 08:51:16 pm »

When it comes to armor, is gold, or zinc better? They both probably suck, but which sucks less?

Also, if I stash all my stuff (Bars of metal, armor, leather, other potentially valuable crafting things) in a lair that I murdered an innocent monster that didn't do anything to anyone to obtain found lying around, will anyone wander by and find free metal?
In adittion to these questions, is a gold longsword better then a copper shortsword? I made one to practice my weaponsmithing skill, and I wanted to know if it's *Resists pun* worth anything more then trade stuff.

Armorwise I don't know,  they would probably be roughly equivalent with no appreciable difference when it comes to fighting actual combat materiel.  Zinc has a better tensile yield while being equivalent just about everyplace else so I would have to go with zinc.

As for a shortsword, copper is most likely best.  But it depends on what you are fighting.  A gold shortsword would probably make a bad actual cutting weapon, gold is a good heavy metal and could behave much like a good mace or hammer though.

i'm not sure if it plays into combat, but zinc also has a low melting temperature.... a zinc support is destroyed by magma faster than one made of wood.  if it does matter at all, it'll be against fire-breathers.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13306 on: July 11, 2011, 09:43:19 pm »

When it comes to armor, is gold, or zinc better? They both probably suck, but which sucks less?

Also, if I stash all my stuff (Bars of metal, armor, leather, other potentially valuable crafting things) in a lair that I murdered an innocent monster that didn't do anything to anyone to obtain found lying around, will anyone wander by and find free metal?
In adittion to these questions, is a gold longsword better then a copper shortsword? I made one to practice my weaponsmithing skill, and I wanted to know if it's *Resists pun* worth anything more then trade stuff.

Armorwise I don't know,  they would probably be roughly equivalent with no appreciable difference when it comes to fighting actual combat materiel.  Zinc has a better tensile yield while being equivalent just about everyplace else so I would have to go with zinc.

As for a shortsword, copper is most likely best.  But it depends on what you are fighting.  A gold shortsword would probably make a bad actual cutting weapon, gold is a good heavy metal and could behave much like a good mace or hammer though.

i'm not sure if it plays into combat, but zinc also has a low melting temperature.... a zinc support is destroyed by magma faster than one made of wood.  if it does matter at all, it'll be against fire-breathers.

Zinc, at least in 40d, actually BOILS in magma. I doubt that will actually come up in your average game, but if you do end up in magma your armor will dissolve and give you horrible burns. Which you are likely already suffering, due to, y'know, the magma. I don't know how hot fire is, dragon-related or otherwise, so I can't advise whether you can expect your armor to melt/boil in a more survivable situation.

Gold armor, on the other hand, is heavier (how much heavier you can check yourself,) and heavier armor means reduced speed, which makes it more difficult to flee/pursue/fight enemies. Plus, it is made of gold, and is therefore valuable- sell it for better armor.

Assuming we are discussing Adventure Mode, you can use creature Lairs as your personal stash and nobody will bother you. This may change in the "near" future, but it will almost certainly be preceded by actual housing/storage solutions in town.

Gold is a terrible cutting/piercing weapon, but you can slap opponent's with the flat of the blade or (better) strike with the pommel to deal a blunt attack instead, so its not completely useless. That said, it is gold, and probably worth a lot at a shop, perhaps enough to buy a nice bronze or iron sword instead, or perhaps some decent armor. Sell it.

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #13307 on: July 11, 2011, 11:05:59 pm »

Are paved roads worth more than their component parts?

Edit: And do bismuth bronze items count for "make bismuth items"?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:08:53 pm by Turnoverman »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13308 on: July 11, 2011, 11:13:57 pm »

No, they're worth what the component parts are, but it counts towards architecture AS WELL AS created wealth.

And no. Bismuth bars!
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13309 on: July 11, 2011, 11:26:51 pm »

No, they're worth what the component parts are, but it counts towards architecture AS WELL AS created wealth.

And no. Bismuth bars!

1) Aww. Eh, at least I got to destroy a little bit of nature by paving it over with gold. That's always good.

2) I don't have any Bismuth ore, just Bismuth bars I have sitting around from caravans :\

Edit: My civilization doesn't have any important leaders, can I get a king (I reached the critera many years ago, and he still hasn't shown his face, so I'm doubtful)
Edit2: Never mind, king's here.
Edit3: Waitwut? The... king isn't here... but I'm a mountainhome... and it told me he got here...
Edit4: I'm going to ask about this in a new thread, this is too weird.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:32:15 am by Turnoverman »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13310 on: July 11, 2011, 11:55:48 pm »

And no. Bismuth bars!

1) Aww. Eh, at least I got to destroy a little bit of nature by paving it over with gold. That's always good.

2) I don't have any Bismuth ore, just Bismuth bars I have sitting around from caravans :\

Edit: My civilization doesn't have any important leaders, can I get a king (I reached the critera many years ago, and he still hasn't shown his face, so I'm doubtful)

Hrm, see if you can melt designate bismuth bars, to make bismuth bars.  You might also be able to create a workshop using bismuth bars to satisfy a mandate, never tried that.  Failing that, see if you can make bismuth crafts?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13311 on: July 12, 2011, 12:17:26 am »

Hrm, see if you can melt designate bismuth bars, to make bismuth bars.  You might also be able to create a workshop using bismuth bars to satisfy a mandate, never tried that.  Failing that, see if you can make bismuth crafts?

Apparently melting bars just makes the bar in question cease to exist (which doesn't help), and workshops don't help.

Stupid dwarves, why couldn't they have just re-elected the duchess as mayor. She likes electrum, figurines, chains, and grates. I don't know what exactly those things have to do with each other and I don't want to find out, but they're all really easy to come by and she's the dutchess so I had to do them anyway. *grumble*newmayorlikingbismuth*grumble*

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13312 on: July 12, 2011, 12:49:41 am »

Why, that mayor could try searching the Caverns for some bismuth then.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13313 on: July 12, 2011, 01:05:08 am »

Just make a nice comfy jail and ignore mandates.  Don't use cages.  Use chains, and put food and drink within reach of the cages, as well as a bed.

I have learned myself that sometimes in 0.25 forts, getting prisoners fed is actually more effort than a megaproject if you put them in cages, so just don't.  Food stockpile, drink stockpile, bed, a couple nice statues or masterwork pieces of furniture for them to admire now and then.

I've never tried it, but you might actually manage to build chains in bedrooms and make them jails and bedrooms, for house arrest :)  I'm going to have to consider this idea closely, it has merit.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

WizardGo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13314 on: July 12, 2011, 01:31:24 am »

Err I got 2 questions

The pet owners feed their pets?  ???

Also can i feed my animals from crops?

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13315 on: July 12, 2011, 01:36:07 am »

Err I got 2 questions

1) In the case of cavys, yes. I believe for everything else, though, no.

2) No, you need to get a pen/pasture zone either on grass up top or on fungus grown underground that grows on soil if you have breached at least one cavern. You don't have to feed all types of animals, though. Your dogs, cats, and birds can be left to roam around without any food because as every dwarf knows, all they eat is framerate.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13316 on: July 12, 2011, 02:18:37 am »

Err I got 2 questions

1) In the case of cavys, yes. I believe for everything else, though, no.

2) No, you need to get a pen/pasture zone either on grass up top or on fungus grown underground that grows on soil if you have breached at least one cavern. You don't have to feed all types of animals, though. Your dogs, cats, and birds can be left to roam around without any food because as every dwarf knows, all they eat is framerate.

I believe I have seen pet goats / horses / alpacas get fed too.  In a fort with lots of pets, when I stop the farms and let the brewers run through all the plants, I'll see feeding cancellation messages when there are no injured or imprisoned dwarves, so pet feeding definitely seems related to animals.

Has anyone seen if putting a plants-only, no barrels stockpile of food on rock, then putting grazers on it will cause the grazers to eat the plants?

This might actually come in useful for, oh, tame elephants?  Water buffalos, cows, horses, and yaks are also pretty bad on the environment, but elephants are absurd, lol.  A place to actually use the absurd amounts of stuff generated by highly skilled farmers with lots of fields would be great!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13317 on: July 12, 2011, 02:40:19 am »

what is the best way to foster a relationship between two specific dwarves?  two, side by side single tile burrows?  when restricted to non-alert related burrows, civilians still can leave to get food, drink, and sleep, right?

trying to marry my duchess off to my king (which may not be possible, just thinking about how consorts are nobles of a different stripe themselves) and it's a bit slow going introducing the two.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13318 on: July 12, 2011, 02:47:50 am »

what is the best way to foster a relationship between two specific dwarves?  two, side by side single tile burrows?  when restricted to non-alert related burrows, civilians still can leave to get food, drink, and sleep, right?

trying to marry my duchess off to my king (which may not be possible, just thinking about how consorts are nobles of a different stripe themselves) and it's a bit slow going introducing the two.

Hrm, I would say put them in adjoining quarters with a very nicely made well between them, an artifact mechanism or bucket if possible.  All in one burrow.  The well should be a meeting area, and not actually inside the designated owned rooms of either dwarf.  Keep other dwarves away with burrow assignments, and if possible, don't give the two you want to get along any jobs at all for a couple years.  If it's going to happen, it will happen.  I believe that dwarves can be incompatable based on their stats though.  Unsure.  To feed them, overlap burrows, but only the burrows where food and drink are stored.

That's what I would try anyhow.  To build relationships, dwarves must idle near each other, so you need your dwarves to idle and congregate.  A snazzy well will definitely help.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13319 on: July 12, 2011, 02:53:38 am »

Hrm, I would say put them in adjoining quarters with a very nicely made well between them, an artifact mechanism or bucket if possible.  All in one burrow.  The well should be a meeting area, and not actually inside the designated owned rooms of either dwarf.  Keep other dwarves away with burrow assignments, and if possible, don't give the two you want to get along any jobs at all for a couple years.  If it's going to happen, it will happen.  I believe that dwarves can be incompatable based on their stats though.  Unsure.  To feed them, overlap burrows, but only the burrows where food and drink are stored.

That's what I would try anyhow.  To build relationships, dwarves must idle near each other, so you need your dwarves to idle and congregate.  A snazzy well will definitely help.

thought this may be the case, pretty much what i had set up.  i have an aboveground keep for my king.  every place i have a room for the king, i have a "mirror room" for the duchess.  i have an artifact statue on the first floor as meeting hall (along with a prepared-food-and-drink-only stockpile a kitchen and a still), all labors for the two disabled, and the bedchambers are in a "solid" adamantium room with a mostly bluemetal wall between the two.  the entire keep is set as a burrow for only those two.  no one else has any free time to disturb them aside from the occasional child.

i'll give it a few years.  if this doesent work, i've got a few decades to play matchmaker for both of them.
Pages: 1 ... 886 887 [888] 889 890 ... 1178